Am I being scammed?

J

jamiam88

Jan 7, 2021
Central PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi,
I took my Pioneer 1000 (3 seater) in for minor service since it had 100 miles and a year of age on it, and also to check why it sometimes wouldn't go into low, especially in very cold weather. I know now that's a linkage issue. For this minor service and checking the shift issue (they said they couldn't find anything) they replaced all the fluids, sparkplug, filters, etc. They are claiming that is minor service, and billed me $600 ($480 for the minor service and $120 for checking the shift issue-and not seeing the problem). They said Honda specifies all those things for a minor service, but I think they are lying.

I would love any input on this before I take negative steps with them (BBB, credit card company, Google reviews, Yelp, etc.).

Your thoughts?
Yes. Sounds right. Just had my 1000-5 serviced at 100 miles for $400.

Reactions: ChadD and toddvdh
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I do all my own service. I've changed the oil twice by the book and both times the oil looked brand new. In my opinion, the service schedule is designed to benefit the dealerships. I was taught at Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in Phoenix, AZ (1999/2000 Motorcycle Tech 3 / Late Model Harley- Davidson) that motor oil is not even broke in until 2500 miles. The linkage is not that hard to adjust. There are a number of videos on the internet on how to do it along with just about everything else that needs to be done. I highly recommend a factory service manual for do it yourselfers. It is also my opinion that it is not necessary to check the valves as often as the company says to. Good luck, men.
Agreed with all. And how about that biscuit sized oil filter to filter engine and trans....🙄
And not being an external spin on....😡

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi,
I took my Pioneer 1000 (3 seater) in for minor service since it had 100 miles and a year of age on it, and also to check why it sometimes wouldn't go into low, especially in very cold weather. I know now that's a linkage issue. For this minor service and checking the shift issue (they said they couldn't find anything) they replaced all the fluids, sparkplug, filters, etc. They are claiming that is minor service, and billed me $600 ($480 for the minor service and $120 for checking the shift issue-and not seeing the problem). They said Honda specifies all those things for a minor service, but I think they are lying.

I would love any input on this before I take negative steps with them (BBB, credit card company, Google reviews, Yelp, etc.).

Your thoughts?
Letting in run for several min and mine shifts ranges perfect, sometimes when its cold its a little stiff.

Reactions: Montecresto
PatioDaddyo58

PatioDaddyo58

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2019
Abilene, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm hoping the aftermarket will come up with adapters to convert to spin on.

Reactions: Montecresto
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I do all my own service. I've changed the oil twice by the book and both times the oil looked brand new. In my opinion, the service schedule is designed to benefit the dealerships. I was taught at Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in Phoenix, AZ (1999/2000 Motorcycle Tech 3 / Late Model Harley- Davidson) that motor oil is not even broke in until 2500 miles. The linkage is not that hard to adjust. There are a number of videos on the internet on how to do it along with just about everything else that needs to be done. I highly recommend a factory service manual for do it yourselfers. It is also my opinion that it is not necessary to check the valves as often as the company says to. Good luck, men.
I agree on the valve schedule I've checked them several times and found them in spec. I didn't check them with the last service because its a pain in the ass. I'll do the valves and air filter before takeover with the next round of maintenance.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That price quote is about what the Honda labor rates are. I agree that this is too high. This is why our club is so important to members. Our members give you the right information on the first pass. With a lifetime membership, you have paid forward and it will save you hundreds of dollars. Also, I would look at DDDonkey's Dirt'N'Diesel web site for how-to videos. This guy is an excellent technician, I think retired Air Force, and gives outstanding step-by-step videos for his Pioneer at no cost. is well worth the visit. DIRT"N"DIESEL

advertisement
HPnMORE4J

HPnMORE4J

Mar 8, 2021
NW Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
People might not realize that a good head mechanic's salary is upwards of $150K a year and very hard to come by.

That's one reason why most dealers don't know or can't properly diagnose and fix a variety of machines. They go by a script and start throwing hours and parts at what they "think" might be the issue. They will throw even more if you have an extended warranty that will pay the bill.

I have a Can Am X3 RSR Turbo that had a misfire, 6-8 weeks at the original dealership, wasted $4500 of parts and labor (paid by the extended warranty) throwing crap at the wall, still couldn't find the issue.

I can build a race car, fix heavy heavy equipment, do all my vehicle repairs/maintenance but those CAN AM's with their sensors and "check engine/limp mode" areas are extremely difficult. Did a bunch of research, discussed it with the warranty company claims manager, found a dealer with a head service tech who was an ex Keith Black builder, between the 3 of us it was found to be a $65 wastegate actuator solenoid that caused the issue..... go figure!

Reactions: Blownzuki

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!