P500 An Alaskan Backcountry Rig Build (Slow Build Thread)

RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Hey everyone. Been haunting the forum a long time but haven't posted much. I've been wanting to document my build and trips as I go so finally getting started. I live in Alaska and I mostly bought the rig for hunting and fishing. Sometimes we are out for a few days, sometimes for weeks hence the justification to get a SXS.

I picked her up in July. Definitely wasn't any dealer 'deals' going on up here, because they could only be found at MSRP or higher.

Fulld1479693343

Full

J

Jshell3

Welcome... all the way from Mississippi.
I've been to Alaska. Spent 2 weeks. Eagle River. Greatest vacation of my life!
Things are a little more expensive up that way, for sure. And I got tickled that Walmart had a whole isle HUGE can goods. And MRE's.
And sold pistols across the counter.

I haven't seen a pistol in a Walmart, since Howard Brothers!

You did good to get a reliable sxs. Cause you are a long ways from everything up there!

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Howdy from Oklahoma and welcome. I really like your trailer.

Reactions: RydeAK
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hey everyone. Been haunting the forum a long time but haven't posted much. I've been wanting to document my build and trips as I go so finally getting started. I live in Alaska and I mostly bought the rig for hunting and fishing. Sometimes we are out for a few days, sometimes for weeks hence the justification to get a SXS.

I picked her up in July. Definitely wasn't any dealer 'deals' going on up here, because they could only be found at MSRP or higher.

View attachment 26964

View attachment 26965
Welcome from the Midwest,Looking forward to your build.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
First trip: Dipnetting on the Copper River for sockeye (red) salmon. We easily eat about 30 reds a year and dipnetting is the best way to fill the freezer fast. Its about a 6 hour drive one way from Anchorage. The pioneer is perfect size for out there. The trail along the cliffs is pretty narrow at spots, and if you end up in the river, your dead (no joke).

Full
All loaded up. Brought the little Wolverine 350 as well.

Full
Blew a trailer tire and drug it for about 3 miles before I noticed...

Full
My girlfriend brought us two new tires/wheels, a hub, and new bearings and we were on our way again.

Full
We fit the nets, two people, a German Shepard puppy and that white cooler with 42 reds in the P5 (we got 62 total). Quickly realized I needed some more ground clearance and traction when I got hung up on some rocks. We had to take off the cooler to get it over em. It must have weighed at least 300 lbs.

Full

Full
Overlooking the Copper River. You have to hike down the cliffs from the trail to fish. This is one of my favorite trips every year. I usually go at least twice. This time we were in a big hurry as I had to fly back out of town for work.

RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome... all the way from Mississippi.
I've been to Alaska. Spent 2 weeks. Eagle River. Greatest vacation of my life!
Things are a little more expensive up that way, for sure. And I got tickled that Walmart had a whole isle HUGE can goods. And MRE's.
And sold pistols across the counter.

I haven't seen a pistol in a Walmart, since Howard Brothers!

You did good to get a reliable sxs. Cause you are a long ways from everything up there!

Its not like that everywhere??? Ha, I grew up above the arctic circle (Kotzebue). My first pistol was given to me when I was 12. It was a stainless Taurus .357 magnum.

I am thinking the P500 will become like the Honda Rancher or Fourtrax 300 of SXSs. Light, simple, and runs forever.

Last edited:
RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I think tires are one of the best upgrades for the P500. Do it early so you can still sell the stock tires. Mine sold for $100 on Craigslist within 12 hours. The stock tires just don't have enough capability for me.

After a ton of research I went with the Bearclaw HTR's. I may have chosen the Ripsaws but they were hard to find. Many places don't ship to Alaska and if they do it's often prohibitively expensive. Even to a major cargo hub such as Anchorage. Anyway, I wanted an all-around good tire that would ride well and get through some serious mud. I think the HTR's fit the bill nicely. I've been running them at 6 psi which seems to work out pretty good. I may go to 7 because they definitely "pooch" out when a lot of weight is added to the rig.

- 26" Bearclaw HTR's
- Front: 9" wide
- Rear: 11" wide
- 8-ply tire, radial construction

Full
Not only did I gain some ground clearance and traction, but I was really surprised with the improvement in ride quality. It is much more comfortable over ruts and bumps.

Full

Full
Went for a ride nearby at Bird Creek. While the nets drive me crazy when up, I don't mind them at all when they are partially down. It helps keep stuff on the seat from flying out.

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nice looking Pioneer. What kind of other mods/accessories do you have planned? Nice old PowerStroke you have there as well.

Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
IMG 0202
Welcome to a fellow Alaskan P500 owner. I love mine used it 2 years now for moose hunts up by Delta Juction. Thing is a beast, and your right the first thing is did after the winch was tires. I went with Maxxis Bighorn and 2.0 26"-11"-12" on all four corners. This year I hauled my whole moose out as 1 load on just the P500 no trailer. (Little fork horn) So it was not too bad. It was a heavy but she did it. I have a thread with a bunch of pictures on here somewhere. Might have to see if we can meet up and ride some. I live in Wasilla.

Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 27033 Welcome to a fellow Alaskan P500 owner. I love mine used it 2 years now for moose hunts up by Delta Juction. Thing is a beast, and your right the first thing is did after the winch was tires. I went with Maxxis Bighorn and 2.0 26"-11"-12" on all four corners. This year I hauled my whole moose out as 1 load on just the P500 no trailer. (Little fork horn) So it was not too bad. It was a heavy but she did it. I have a thread with a bunch of pictures on here somewhere. Might have to see if we can meet up and ride some. I live in Wasilla.
That is one bad ass P500. There is very few things that little beast can't do.;):cool:

RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Nice looking Pioneer. What kind of other mods/accessories do you have planned? Nice old PowerStroke you have there as well.

So I'm actually holding out on few things so a bunch more will be showing up as I get time to post it. By the time I'm done it should have a cargo box setup, roof, lights, winch, and storage stuff. I've been investigating shock stuff but realistically this is primarily a hunting rig.

The Powerstroke just turned over 240k miles. She's a beast and I've got lots of plans for her as well. If I get into the booze while posting, I may talk/cry about my old Raptor lol. Had to downsize last year an I miss that beauty.

IMG 0039

IMG 6649

J

Jshell3

Hey what the heck man, I'm not on there. How do I get in the map? Augusta, WI
I would guess it's a setting in your profile? Some privacy setting or whatknot. ?!?
Im not really the one to ask, but if you go to your profile page and scroll down the the very bottom where is has your age (birthday) it will say location. Click it and see where it populates on the map.
If it's not there, then you'll need to set that up in your account settings.(personal properties)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: moparornocar
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would guess it's a setting in your profile? Some privacy setting or whatknot. ?!?
Im not really the one to ask, but if you go to your profile page and scroll down the the very bottom where is has your age (birthday) it will say location. Click it and see where it populates on the map.
If it's not there, then you'll need to set that up in your account settings.(personal properties)
Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Jshell3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!