P500 An Alaskan Backcountry Rig Build (Slow Build Thread)

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I'm actually holding out on few things so a bunch more will be showing up as I get time to post it. By the time I'm done it should have a cargo box setup, roof, lights, winch, and storage stuff. I've been investigating shock stuff but realistically this is primarily a hunting rig.

The Powerstroke just turned over 240k miles. She's a beast and I've got lots of plans for her as well. If I get into the booze while posting, I may talk/cry about my old Raptor lol. Had to downsize last year an I miss that beauty.

View attachment 27054
View attachment 27055
I'd take the power stroke over the raptor anyway. I've got your trucks little brother since my wife stole my Durango, and I'm not down with driving the minivan.

IMG 20161022 082416453

Reactions: Dp5hunter and sharp
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Kinda like a Yoder Toter. Bunch of Amish...piled in a van...
Never heard of the term until I went to Ohio. Funny sh**! :D
We get buggy's going past our house every day. It's pretty neat lol

RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 27033 Welcome to a fellow Alaskan P500 owner. I love mine used it 2 years now for moose hunts up by Delta Juction. Thing is a beast, and your right the first thing is did after the winch was tires. I went with Maxxis Bighorn and 2.0 26"-11"-12" on all four corners. This year I hauled my whole moose out as 1 load on just the P500 no trailer. (Little fork horn) So it was not too bad. It was a heavy but she did it. I have a thread with a bunch of pictures on here somewhere. Might have to see if we can meet up and ride some. I live in Wasilla.

Yes, lil beast would be an excellent name. I've been able to get her through some pretty intense terrain. I think one day I will regret not having a locker up front but we shall see. A winch is a priority, definitely before spring rolls around.
Congrats on the moose! We were not able to find one this year but really didn't have the time to put in enough effort. Next year I hope. The rear cargo box I'm working on will be designed with hauling meat and fish in mind.

Meeting up to take a ride would be awesome. I definitely don't get out enough!

Reactions: Dp5hunter
RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I'd take the power stroke over the raptor anyway. I've got your trucks little brother since my wife stole my Durango, and I'm not down with driving the minivan.

View attachment 27073

I've always liked that old Ford body style. My girl went on google and searched "cool car that's not a mini-van".... Hahaha, so now we have a 7-seater V8 Jeep Commander. Its been a great family car for over 50k miles now. I'm sure a mini-van would've got way better gas mileage

I used to be cool sticker

LOL

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome aboard from Georgia! I love Alaska and look forward to seeing your build and reading about your adventures!

Reactions: rocmar and sharp
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've always liked that old Ford body style. My girl went on google and searched "cool car that's not a mini-van".... Hahaha, so now we have a 7-seater V8 Jeep Commander. Its been a great family car for over 50k miles now. I'm sure a mini-van would've got way better gas mileage

View attachment 27140

LOL
This is my non-minivan kid hauler. Same idea lol

IMG 20160726 120835989 HDR

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Not fun to come up on at night, though. They usually have little reflective material, and if they have them, dim bicycle flashers.

Now, they are great post and beam carpenters. :)

Had a buddy flying down a back road on a snowmobile at night, came up over a hill and clipped the back of one...he had been drinking btw. Ripped the rear wheel off the buggy and one ski off the sled. Said he landed in the ditch with the machine on its side still running, Amish dude standing over him b****ing. He tipped the machine up and took off, rode it home on one ski. Cops followed the tracks and showed up at his door the next morning. He had to pay for the damages.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Had a buddy flying down a back road on a snowmobile at night, came up over a hill and clipped the back of one...he had been drinking btw. Ripped the rear wheel off the buggy and one ski off the sled. Said he landed in the ditch with the machine on its side still running, Amish dude standing over him b****ing. He tipped the machine up and took off, rode it home on one ski. Cops followed the tracks and showed up at his door the next morning. He had to pay for the damages.

One saving grace is that there usually a trail of horse s***t before you come up on the buggy. ;)

Reactions: Jshell3 and trigger
J

Jshell3

Good thing (for your buddy) the Amish don't carry cell phones... 911, 911!!!
He had the benefit of allowing the alcohol to wear off, while they fixed their buggy. Then, physically head down to the police station to file a report.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Good thing (for your buddy) the Amish don't carry cell phones... 911, 911!!!
He had the benefit of allowing the alcohol to wear off, while they fixed their buggy. Then, physically head down to the police station to file a report.

The stupid sh** you do when you're a kid...it was a long time ago, before cell phones.
Yeah, the poor Amish dude had to fix his buggy right there, in the winter and at night. Unless he had AAA! :)

RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I decided to make my own box. There is some nice stuff out there but I wanted some specific things. With this setup I can still carry my big white cooler for fishing on the top. there is a pelican case that slides into one cavity and my gasoline coleman stove fits in the other. The rest of the bed is left open so I can set hindquarters in there and they can be strapped down and won't slid around/out. It probably didn't need a tailgate but I figured it should have one just in case. Its all 2x6's and 3/4 plywood and was herculined. The tailgate latches are snowmachine hood tie downs.
Full

Full

Full

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I decided to make my own box. There is some nice stuff out there but I wanted some specific things. With this setup I can still carry my big white cooler for fishing on the top. there is a pelican case that slides into one cavity and my gasoline coleman stove fits in the other. The rest of the bed is left open so I can set hindquarters in there and they can be strapped down and won't slid around/out. It probably didn't need a tailgate but I figured it should have one just in case. Its all 2x6's and 3/4 plywood and was herculined. The tailgate latches are snowmachine hood tie downs.
View attachment 27301

View attachment 27302

View attachment 27303
Looks nice!

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
So I'm actually holding out on few things so a bunch more will be showing up as I get time to post it. By the time I'm done it should have a cargo box setup, roof, lights, winch, and storage stuff. I've been investigating shock stuff but realistically this is primarily a hunting rig.

The Powerstroke just turned over 240k miles. She's a beast and I've got lots of plans for her as well. If I get into the booze while posting, I may talk/cry about my old Raptor lol. Had to downsize last year an I miss that beauty.

View attachment 27054
View attachment 27055

I'm on the booze train. I have a free shoulder you can cry on.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 27301

View attachment 27302

View attachment 27303
That's really looking great!

RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Had to build a quick roof for a last minute moose hunting trip. No moose, but it was a good time.
IMG 8015

IMG 8016

I went cheap because the roof was only supposed to be for this one trip. I lined the pipe brackets with some adhesive backed foam and put additional pieces between the wood and ROPS. It held up pretty good through the trip, made no rattles whatsoever.
IMG 8019

IMG 8027

IMG 8029

IMG 8035

So I'm a bit anxious to remove the rear stabilizer bar because on the way up here I spun out, getting slightly sideways. It only felt like maybe 30 degrees or so from straight uphill, and the front wheel started to come up off the ground and I thought I was going to flip backwards.
IMG 8049

So I used about 4 gallons of gas (full tank) on this trip. My buddies Viking also used around a full tank, which I think is 13 gallons...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!