P500 And so it begins (tires and wheels)

Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
8 ply radial construction will have a heavier sidewall most generally. My 500 felt less tippy after putting on wheels and tires.

I figured that’s how it was, that’s why I went with 6ply, figured the heavier sidewall would cancel the improvement in the bigger tires

Reactions: rtn001 and Russ989
Slayer

Slayer

Jul 3, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
5+2 wheels
+
Honda Pioneer 500/700 WideTrack Bundle
+
26" tires
+
remove anti sway bar
=
Much nicer ride and much more stable on uneven terrain!
@Chooglin I have been thinking about this post alot the last few days.....one big question I have is if you run 5+2's and add spacers, you could run a tire larger than 26"......so why wouldn't you......do you feel that there are negatives going greater than 26"?

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

@Chooglin I have been thinking about this post alot the last few days.....one big question I have is if you run 5+2's and add spacers, you could run a tire larger than 26"......so why wouldn't you......do you feel that there are negatives going greater than 26"?
I just feel that a 26" tire works very well with the 500. You can run a 27" tire ,many are doing it. Every tire size you go up , you will lose more power/torque and the tire gets heavier. A 26" tire is a very happy medium for these machines IMO.
Some are running 30" with no problem , it also depends on what type of riding you do.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

To an extent. I had 26x11's on the front with 1" spacers and it rubbed bad. Took the spacers off and it doesn't rub at all.

C

Chooglin

The guys running the 30's are doing the frame mod or running forward a-arms or both.

Reactions: Slayer
Slayer

Slayer

Jul 3, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
To an extent. I had 26x11's on the front with 1" spacers and it rubbed bad. Took the spacers off and it doesn't rub at all.
@trigger that confuses me even more lol, ....I see alot of opinions in here and I trust what you and @Chooglin say....I am not interested in building a mud machine, but I do live in Louisiana and the unit is primarily used for hunting and around the house. The clearance with stockers really concerns me and that's the main reason I want to go up in size. Leaning toward the bearclaw htrs, among other things I see where the 26s actually run a little large, but would like to stay 50 inches wide....not a necessity but might need it one day. So looks like u guys recommend the 26, 5+2 or stock wheels not that different, and get spacers if too tippy?

C

Chooglin

Again this is just my opinion, I am not a fan of using 2.00" spacers , so if you go with a tire 28" or larger, you really should go with 2.00" spacers to maintain the same stability you had in stock form.

I think if you go with a 26"-27" tire and you have a winch, you should be good to go on hunting trips. As you said , you can always go with spacers in the future, if you feel they are necessary (I would get the spacers). They can always be removed for those times when you think you need to be 50" width.

Slayer

Slayer

Jul 3, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
You will gain 1/2" per side with 5+2 wheels from stock wheels.

You will gain 1 1/2" per side with 4+3 wheels from stock wheels.

Factory fronts 4.5+1.5

Factory rears 6+1.5
@Chooglin shouldn't those dimensions for the factory wheels add up to 7?

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just feel that a 26" tire works very well with the 500. You can run a 27" tire ,many are doing it. Every tire size you go up , you will lose more power/torque and the tire gets heavier. A 26" tire is a very happy medium for these machines IMO.
Some are running 30" with no problem , it also depends on what type of riding you do.
very true 26" or 27" are a great fit without losing the power.

Reactions: Chooglin
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you’re going bigger than 26” you need to do this!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
@trigger that confuses me even more lol, ....I see alot of opinions in here and I trust what you and @Chooglin say....I am not interested in building a mud machine, but I do live in Louisiana and the unit is primarily used for hunting and around the house. The clearance with stockers really concerns me and that's the main reason I want to go up in size. Leaning toward the bearclaw htrs, among other things I see where the 26s actually run a little large, but would like to stay 50 inches wide....not a necessity but might need it one day. So looks like u guys recommend the 26, 5+2 or stock wheels not that different, and get spacers if too tippy?

5+2's and 26's work perfect on a P5, add spacers if you add a lot of weight up high and feel tippy. Keep in mind I had put 11's on 5+2's on the front and 1" spacers, she was sitting pretty wide. The 2.0's run 26.5 and I have diamond plate wheel well liners, doesn't take away much room but some. First turn out of the garage sounded like a big ass playing card in your spokes! :eek:

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
If you’re going bigger than 26” you need to do this!

I've given it a good look. The reason I won't do it is it puts you around 63" wide. If I wanted to run that wide I'd buy a Talon. I have noticed that those BA tires in the video never bog down and stop turning though. ;)

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
On my 17 model,the Big Horn 2.0 ,26x9, on a 5+2 wheel with 1" spacer rubs the frame a tad on the front at full droop,full turn.I did the frame mod and cleared it up.There is no rub with out the spacer.I think 26's are a perfect match for our 500's,either with 1" spacers up front,1 1/2 on the rear..or no spacer on the front and 1 inch on the rear.Like it was stated above,this set-up with a winch,extra strap or cable,and snatch block would keep you out of trouble.

Slayer

Slayer

Jul 3, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
The stock rims are not 7" wide.
OK so stupid question 5,287.....lol... if factory fronts are 6 inches wide and rear are 7.5, what impact does the 7 inch wheel (5+2) have on the tires (was planning on 9's in front and 11 in rear)....I guess what I mean is, does a narrower wheel squeeze and narrow up the surface contact, and a wider wheel make the tire shorter but widen the contact area?
I guess I just need to suck it up and get the 5+2's....truth be told Im tight and didnt want to have to buy tires AND wheels....lol

BUT....I did buy a trigger shield so that ought to count for something! lol

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!