P500 Another Big horn question?

Stacy

Stacy

Jul 12, 2015
Twin falls idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Was curious if anyone is running the 28" big horns, on the 14" 212's, I haven't seen that combo posted on anything? Any feed back here would be great.

Last edited:
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Was curious if anyone is running the 28" big horns, on the 14" 212's, I haven't seen that combo posted on anything? Any feed back here would be great.
My brother did the 14....he wasn't happy...says the ride 12 gives are much smoother ride....yes he tired different psi...

Reactions: Montecresto
p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I've been running 27"x11"x14"s Ripsaws on all four corners since June. Been very happy with it so far. I use my P500 as my daily driver, and am just as likely running to the store as the mountain trails. I wanted a stiffer sidewall due to so much paved road driving. I didn't want "tire roll" on the city streets. I'm sure that this makes it ride a little rougher on the trails, but it's a trade-off I can live with.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I've been running 27"x11"x14"s Ripsaws on all four corners since June. Been very happy with it so far. I use my P500 as my daily driver, and am just as likely running to the store as the mountain trails. I wanted a stiffer sidewall due to so much paved road driving. I didn't want "tire roll" on the city streets. I'm sure that this makes it ride a little rougher on the trails, but it's a trade-off I can live with.
Paved road riding.....would eat my tires up....
we all ride in different terrain. ...
gotta do wat works for you. ...nice ride. P500 fan

blackchrome

blackchrome

Sep 13, 2014
Paved road riding.....would eat my tires up....
we all ride in different terrain. ...
gotta do wat works for you. ...nice ride. P500 fan
Thanks for the reply guy's, I need the clearance for rocks, (rough lava rock) at the same time I really don't want to give up on the ride quality either though. If your running a 12" rim on 26" tires vs a 14" on 28" that should all stay a wash for ride quality? I saw the 28 bighorns listed and just haven't seen the combo with the 212's so I was hoping someone would chime in. I don't mind doing the frame mod to the front but I would also like to hear any negatives of going to a 14" x 28" combo before I pull the trigger.... All comments welcome...

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the reply guy's, I need the clearance for rocks, (rough lava rock) at the same time I really don't want to give up on the ride quality either though. If your running a 12" rim on 26" tires vs a 14" on 28" that should all stay a wash for ride quality? I saw the 28 bighorns listed and just haven't seen the combo with the 212's so I was hoping someone would chime in. I don't mind doing the frame mod to the front but I would also like to hear any negatives of going to a 14" x 28" combo before I pull the trigger.... All comments welcome...
My brother did 14 and said the ride was alot rougher
but there's a lot of things to consider. ...
I myself will only go 26....for the fact of the p500 being tippy
depends where....and wat kind of riding you do
wat works for some...don't work for others

Reactions: Stacy
W

Willandbill

Nov 25, 2015
the p5 has very stiff suspention setup so if u run 12" rims the larger sidewall will help cushin some of the bumps
Aside from quality of ride, and comfort, I can imagine you're gonna be adding a lot more weight (unsprung) with the larger tire/wheel combo. Plus $$$.

Stacy

Stacy

Jul 12, 2015
Twin falls idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Was curious if anyone is running the 28" big horns, on the 212's, I haven't seen that combo posted on anything?
I dont know about the big horns but the ripsaws weight like they are made out of lead
Well I think I will go back to the 12" itp 212's, in either the Rip saw or the big horns. In the largest size they make to fit the 12 just gotta figure out which one.... Truthfully this decision has become kind of a pain....

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Well I think I will go back to the 12" itp 212's, in either the Rip saw or the big horns. In the largest size they make to fit the 12 just gotta figure out which one.... Truthfully this decision has become kind of a pain....
My Ripsaws were heavy & they seem too me....to wear very fast......
(No pavement riding).....but everybody has there own deal

W

Willandbill

Nov 25, 2015
Stacy, being that you are so undecided, as I was about my tire choice, I looked at what I was using my machine for, light to medium trail riding, no heavy mudding or really deep sand, fire cuts and gravel roads, put it out there and listened to the advise that the members gave me with about a million posts. They seem to have the most experience and made the mistakes for us newer owners so we don't have to make them ourselves. I wound up with bighorn 2.0, 26" and am super happy. I didn't need the heavier tread or sidewall of the original (although I do like the letters). Good luck!

Reactions: Montecresto
Stacy

Stacy

Jul 12, 2015
Twin falls idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Stacy, being that you are so undecided, as I was about my tire choice, I looked at what I was using my machine for, light to medium trail riding, no heavy mudding or really deep sand, fire cuts and gravel roads, put it out there and listened to the advise that the members gave me with about a million posts. They seem to have the most experience and made the mistakes for us newer owners so we don't have to make them ourselves. I wound up with bighorn 2.0, 26" and am super happy. I didn't need the heavier tread or sidewall of the original (although I do like the letters). Good luck!
Willandbill, thanks for the info as mentioned I' appreciate the info input and feed back, I am a pretty avid hunter here in southern idaho / guide for Elk/ Mule deer/ Moose/ Mountain lion.. Lot's of lava rock here that is just horrible on tires, So a decent side wall is almost a must. I was wanting both the ground clearance to clear the rocks as well. Also I do professional photography and have a ton of camera equipment that will be with me so I'm hopping to not have a absolute terrible ride. So in order of importance would be increased ride hight, durability and ride.... Kinda the best I know of all world's a tall order probably not achievable, but thats the order I would like to achieve. So If I go 12" rims it sounds like 26 is as large as I can go in the bighorn original, unless I go with 14" rims. Then it sounds like you take a ride hit on comfort..... So as I sit right now my pioneer is at the dealer ready to go minus the tires. So by Wednesday I need to be able to give them something.

Last edited:
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I can tell you the ripsaws are bomb proof you can ride on anything

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
T
One of the reasons that I bought the Ripsaws was the supposedly better wear on pavement. Sedona advertises that they use the same rubber compound as automotive tires in the Ripsaws. They initially concerned me with an alarming bit of wear on the front tires, but after 3-4 weeks, they quit wearing. (slowed substantially)The rear tires still looked brand new. I rotated them, and the same thing happened. I was really worried that I had made a bad call, but the wear found it's "happy point" and stopped. Have since put over 1,000 miles on them, and cannot tell much difference from wear point @ 150 miles. You will lose around 10-15% of tread quickly, but then it evens out. I am still happy with the traction, stability, and "toughness" of the Ripsaws. They have served me well on every terrain encountered so far.

Reactions: Stacy and jak9922
Stacy

Stacy

Jul 12, 2015
Twin falls idaho
Ownership

1. 500
T

One of the reasons that I bought the Ripsaws was the supposedly better wear on pavement. Sedona advertises that they use the same rubber compound as automotive tires in the Ripsaws. They initially concerned me with an alarming bit of wear on the front tires, but after 3-4 weeks, they quit wearing. (slowed substantially)The rear tires still looked brand new. I rotated them, and the same thing happened. I was really worried that I had made a bad call, but the wear found it's "happy point" and stopped. Have since put over 1,000 miles on them, and cannot tell much difference from wear point @ 150 miles. You will lose around 10-15% of tread quickly, but then it evens out. I am still happy with the traction, stability, and "toughness" of the Ripsaws. They have served me well on every terrain encountered so far.
Thanks, P500fan, I really like how aggressive the rip saws are, I am at a even toss up on them and the Bighorns, Once I pick rim size Im kind of committed. Not trying to drag this out just don't wanna have to start over again regretting the purchase.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Willandbill, thanks for the info as mentioned I' appreciate the info input and feed back, I am a pretty avid hunter here in southern idaho / guide for Elk/ Mule deer/ Moose/ Mountain lion.. Lot's of lava rock here that is just horrible on tires, So a decent side wall is almost a must. I was wanting both the ground clearance to clear the rocks as well. Also I do professional photography and have a ton of camera equipment that will be with me so I'm hopping to not have a absolute terrible ride. So in order of importance would be increased ride hight, durability and ride.... Kinda the best I know of all world's a tall order probably not achievable, but thats the order I would like to achieve. So If I go 12" rims it sounds like 26 is as large as I can go in the bighorn original, unless I go with 14" rims. Then it sounds like you take a ride hit on comfort..... So as I sit right now my pioneer is at the dealer ready to go minus the tires. So by Wednesday I need to be able to give them something.
now you explained your use of your machine......I agree Ripsaws would be your best bet....I would stay away from 14......don't wanna get tippy on the lava rocks ...with all your camera equipment. Plan on them wearing.....& they are spendy....
CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON SAFETY. ...good luck.. Ride safe

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
T

Wish the Ripsaws I had on my can am would of stopped wearing. ....don't know how that could happen...then stop..curious
there was a group of us withat the same Ripsaws tires.....and wear was every rider concern.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks, P500fan, I really like how aggressive the rip saws are, I am at a even toss up on them and the Bighorns, Once I pick rim size Im kind of committed. Not trying to drag this out just don't wanna have to start over again regretting the purchase.
You will be starting over soon....there's not a tire that stands up to.....the sharp lava rocks....I've rode on lava.....in grants ,new mexico
Good luck

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
20160207 093916
20160207 093904

my wife grab a piece of it...took pics of both sides...I would look for a tire that has the most thread on the tire including sidewall....

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!