P500 Another Big horn question?

oly1981

oly1981

Feb 18, 2016
Lewiston Idaho
My two cents. I went with 9x26 and 11x26 Bighorns on stock wheels for the ride (as jak mentioned) and to maintain the width that fits in the pickup bed. I'm very glad I didn't go any taller. No rubbing, no frame mod. But a significantly improved ride. The only down side is a slightly noticeable loss of power. My buddy still has stock tires and following each other on the trail, we use to be in the same gear always. Not anymore. Haven't had the opportunity to check the top end yet but I can tell it's going to be a little faster, although I've never maxed it before. My speed is crawling those rugged forest trails in L and 2.
My buddy has the 26x11 and 26x9 in an 14 inch wheel. He likes it, I've driven it. I will be doing a lot of forest trails here in Idaho, I would like to be able to still be able to load in my truck. Right now, I think I will either do a 26 or 27 in a 12 inch wheel. Just have t made my mind up yet. Lol

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
My buddy has the 26x11 and 26x9 in an 14 inch wheel. He likes it, I've driven it. I will be doing a lot of forest trails here in Idaho, I would like to be able to still be able to load in my truck. Right now, I think I will either do a 26 or 27 in a 12 inch wheel. Just have t made my mind up yet. Lol

Considering that there are so many people that have bought them because they can be loaded in the truck bed, and, there are many 50" trail restrictions, I can't figure out why there isn't a manufacturer producing custom rims with the same offsets as OEM???

Reactions: oly1981
oly1981

oly1981

Feb 18, 2016
Lewiston Idaho
Considering that there are so many people that have bought them because they can be loaded in the truck bed, and, there are many 50" trail restrictions, I can't figure out why there isn't a manufacturer producing custom rims with the same offsets as OEM???

Yeah, I know what you are saying. My buddy can still get his in the back of his truck with the 5-2 offset wheels.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah, I know what you are saying. My buddy can still get his in the back of his truck with the 5-2 offset wheels.
Really!! Between the wheel wells, or is he going up over them?? Btw, I like the avatar scenery, that's beautiful country. Know any Nez Perce?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
over the wheel wells, but it fits! i know some, not really friends with any.
That's what I thought. I'm still looking for custom wheels that won't increase the width.

Stacy

Stacy

Jul 12, 2015
Twin falls idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Untitled elky
over the wheel wells, but it fits! i know some, not really friends with any.
Been working almost every day since I picked her up so riding has been minimal, but I had a friend with the same basic combo and on the snow it was a beast. So that also influenced me on the selection. I have multiple trailers, one for the four 4wheelers and side by side and one just for the side by side, But it did fit in back of my chevy for the ride home from the dealer. As for the wider front tires I wanted the spare to go all the way around, for the desert riding I do, YOU have to plan on worst case scenario. And after I rode my buddies I loved the little extra top end. The low end is still unstoppable and plenty of power. Worst case scenario I still have the factory tires but since here they enforce the 50" rule at a max of 53" I am fine. I am also a guide as well so I plan on it packing plenty of elk. Tomorrow I will post a pic of how she is looking. this is off topic a little but I just learned one of the bulls I helped take this fall ( I had been watching) Is now officially the world record archery Elk ever taken..... What a great, magnificent animal.... The hunter i was with found the broken missing piece 3 days later and the antlers have been officially accepted and scored in the books. Here's a shot that I took that will soon be a magazine cover.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
View attachment 10876
Been working almost every day since I picked her up so riding has been minimal, but I had a friend with the same basic combo and on the snow it was a beast. So that also influenced me on the selection. I have multiple trailers, one for the four 4wheelers and side by side and one just for the side by side, But it did fit in back of my chevy for the ride home from the dealer. As for the wider front tires I wanted the spare to go all the way around, for the desert riding I do, YOU have to plan on worst case scenario. And after I rode my buddies I loved the little extra top end. The low end is still unstoppable and plenty of power. Worst case scenario I still have the factory tires but since here they enforce the 50" rule at a max of 53" I am fine. I am also a guide as well so I plan on it packing plenty of elk. Tomorrow I will post a pic of how she is looking. this is off topic a little but I just learned one of the bulls I helped take this fall ( I had been watching) Is now officially the world record archery Elk ever taken..... What a great, magnificent animal.... The hunter i was with found the broken missing piece 3 days later and the antlers have been officially accepted and scored in the books. Here's a shot that I took that will soon be a magazine cover.
Where is that taken, I thought Idaho was covered in pine??

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Stacy, being that you are so undecided, as I was about my tire choice, I looked at what I was using my machine for, light to medium trail riding, no heavy mudding or really deep sand, fire cuts and gravel roads, put it out there and listened to the advise that the members gave me with about a million posts. They seem to have the most experience and made the mistakes for us newer owners so we don't have to make them ourselves. I wound up with bighorn 2.0, 26" and am super happy. I didn't need the heavier tread or sidewall of the original (although I do like the letters). Good luck!
Yep, I got the same ones, equally satisfied but wouldn't want any taller.

Reactions: Stacy
advertisement
Stacy

Stacy

Jul 12, 2015
Twin falls idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Where is that taken, I thought Idaho was covered in pine??
Southern Idaho is very dry desert peppered in sagebrush, quake aspen, and mahoganies. I find it equally beuatiful as central and northern Idaho. Love this state from top to bottom its truly paradise here.

Stacy

Stacy

Jul 12, 2015
Twin falls idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Yep, I got the same ones, equally satisfied but wouldn't want any taller.
I completely agree Montecresto, this is as high as I would want to go. But I love the stance and look of her. My Neighbor that has an Arctic cat, has been over 4 times to look at her. I'm suspecting a little envy... he... he.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Southern Idaho is very dry desert peppered in sagebrush, quake aspen, and mahoganies. I find it equally beuatiful as central and northern Idaho. Love this state from top to bottom its truly paradise here.
I remember passing through Pocatello and Idaho Falls as a young man, I don't recall that terrain but perhaps that's too much east. I suppose then that much of the Snake passes through that type of terrain?? And agreed you live in a lovely state. Are there many 50" trail restrictions?

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I completely agree Montecresto, this is as high as I would want to go. But I love the stance and look of her. My Neighbor that has an Arctic cat, has been over 4 times to look at her. I'm suspecting a little envy... he... he.
And I completely agree with that, the look is perfect!!

Stacy

Stacy

Jul 12, 2015
Twin falls idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I remember passing through Pocatello and Twin Falls as a young man, I don't recall that terrain but perhaps that's too much east. I suppose then that much of the Snake passes through that type of terrain?? And agreed you live in a lovely state. Are there many 50" trail restrictions?
We have ton's of trails at the 50" Most all are not marked with more than a single post. And on the trails its been enforced at no more than 53" 3" of leeway.

Reactions: Montecresto

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!