P1000 Another Electrical Question

CMH

CMH

May 17, 2017
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am in the process of working through all of my accessory wiring, and that currently includes wiring my second battery. I have an extra heavy gauge black wire with the end wrapped in blue electricians tape near the negative side of my primary battery. This looks like some sort of prep wiring for a winch or second battery and reads fractions of an ohm of resistance measured to the negative terminal of the primary battery. Anybody know if this is a second ground or just a split of the negative cable on the primary battery - i.e. can I use it as a ground for my second battery? The wire disappears into a wiring harness that I am not quite motivated enough to cut apart, so I figured I would check with the braintrust here before I dig further.

Reactions: Jshell3
CMH

CMH

May 17, 2017
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nope, brand new. 2017 1000-5 LE. Seems to me I heard they came pre-wired for something but I can't remember the particulars.

J

JTW

I am in the process of working through all of my accessory wiring, and that currently includes wiring my second battery. I have an extra heavy gauge black wire with the end wrapped in blue electricians tape near the negative side of my primary battery. This looks like some sort of prep wiring for a winch or second battery and reads fractions of an ohm of resistance measured to the negative terminal of the primary battery. Anybody know if this is a second ground or just a split of the negative cable on the primary battery - i.e. can I use it as a ground for my second battery? The wire disappears into a wiring harness that I am not quite motivated enough to cut apart, so I figured I would check with the braintrust here before I dig further.
I understood it as a second ground for the winch... I would NOT think it would just jump off the stock cable. I would suggest using it as the ground for your second battery and then run your winch to the positive and negative terminals on the second battery. You can always add another ground wire to the frame or stock battery if you need.

D

Deleted member 3748

I would trace it back to see where it goes. I also always make new grounds.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I understood it as a second ground for the winch... I would NOT think it would just jump off the stock cable. I would suggest using it as the ground for your second battery and then run your winch to the positive and negative terminals on the second battery. You can always add another ground wire to the frame or stock battery if you need.
I think your Right - @Jshell3 had the same wire so tagging him here to see how they wired his up

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
Yeah mine had the same wire. It is a ground that goes back to the engine block. I used that wire as the ground for my winch solenoid and just ran a positive up from my second battery that I put under me seat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!