Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
For those concerned about stability, has anyone tried filling their tires with water? This is very common in agriculture to do to tractor tires and also in rock crawling. Granted, our little sxs tires have much less volume in comparison to tractors or rock crawlers, but it is a free easy way to lower your center of gravity, even if only a little.

For example, on a 26x9x12 tire would hold roughly 5 gallons of water or 41 lbs. Multiplied over 4 tires is 164 lbs of unsprung weight helping to keep the rubber side down. I'm sure it's not for everyone but hey it's an idea.
That's a great idea. Anybody that tries it should use anti freeze if you're north of zone 7 though. I'm not sure if the P5 with its wee 475 would like pulling along that extra weight, and maybe one of our two engineers will see this and chime in on what ill effect if any it would have on bearings, arm ends etc. I know from experience that this works in my tractor.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Fill them with slime! It would cost a fortune though.

Signature:

QUOTE by Sharp, Where's Don? He's probably spray painting stuff lmfao!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
They actually make a special liquid for this purpose that is non corrosive and weighs more per gallon than water. But....I have no idea what it's called

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
They actually make a special liquid for this purpose that is non corrosive and weighs more per gallon than water. But....I have no idea what it's called
I think maybe Calcium Chloride.

Reactions: JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sorry for not getting back sooner someone stole my phone at lunch yesterday. You figured it out quickly though.
The times I felt it a little was loaded with people or sidehills. Other then that it's really good. I don't think you'll be reconnecting it anytime soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stole your phone! That's the s***s CP.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm putting a lot of trust in you guys with the pioneer 1000!

34cbd384fe37a091153823211bcce5e1

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Dude.. that was the first thing I did on the 500.. you'll like it.

I took the sway bar off of my pioneer 700 and loved it. I've been a little bit afraid to on this pioneer 1000 because it feels like it sways a little more in the turns. However, I put a lot of faith in my BIH (Brothers in Honda).

It was recommended that I just disconnect it and tie the bar out-of-the-way, but I don't want to do anything half a$$. It actually wasn't hard to remove and who knows, I may want to put it back on. I only need to remove two tires and one shock to get it out.

I'm about to go take a little booze cruise and see how I like it. If y'all don't hear from me by tomorrow sometime, send a search team looking for a pioneer turned over on its side.

J

JTW

I took the sway bar off of my pioneer 700 and loved it. I've been a little bit afraid to on this pioneer 1000 because it feels like it sways a little more in the turns. However, I put a lot of faith in my BIH (Brothers in Honda).

It was recommended that I just disconnect it and tie the bar out-of-the-way, but I don't want to do anything half a$$. It actually wasn't hard to remove and who knows, I may want to put it back on. I only need to remove two tires and one shock to get it out.

I'm about to go take a little booze cruise and see how I like it. If y'all don't hear from me by tomorrow sometime, send a search team looking for a pioneer turned over on its side.
Well the little 500 has body roll like a mutha and I'm still upright! May the Honda wings be with you and the odds forever in your favor!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
There's no way I could give a good in-depth review making such a short little run. But, I did make the same run that I did when I took the video of the Walker Evans shocks. So, from that short run, I took away several notes:

1: the rear end doesn't get so agitated over the rough stuff and stays planted better. Still not as good as the front with the W/E shocks though.

2: it does sway more but it's very similar to the P700. I can feel the body roll but the tires stay planted pretty good. It should be great for my type of trail riding.

3: if carrying passengers or a heavy load in the back, it may be a good idea to leave it on if it behaves like the P700 with the sway bar removed. I'm sure an extra 300-400 pounds in the back will decrease stability more so with it removed.

4: I tried some G-outs in the field (in turf mode) and it will spin the inside tire a lot easier than before so that tells me that the sway bar was helping keep the inside wheels planted better.

5: no booze was spilled during the making of this review.

Signature:

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
One other thing, I actually stopped and checked my drivers side rear tire, I could have sworn it was flat.....nope, that just how it feels when you turn sharp at high speed. If feels like a tire is rolling under the wheel.

I will leave it off for the Bull Run ride this weekend and compare how it does on the treacherous "loop". Also at that time, I'll have a cooler, my tool and recovery kit, chainsaw, roto-packs, spare tire, etc. so it may feel a lot different.

Signature:

Last edited:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If I had the walker Evans shocks in the rear, I could probably tune some of the body roll out by adjusting preload and dampening. Hmm...something to think about there.

If you think about it, the sway bar is actually tying the two rear shocks together so with it removed, your actually reducing the spring rate in the rear. So it makes sense to have adjustable rear shocks. Now to convince the wife....

Signature:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!