Antifreeze question

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I changed my coolant about a year ago and I recently discovered that there may or may not be a difference in chemical makeup between Honda's green antifreeze and the regular old green Prestone style. I thought there was only the red (dex-cool) type and then the standard green stuff that has been on the market for decades. I did notice that when I drained the OEM Honda coolant, it was a much darker shade of green than the Prestone mix. Can someone clarify if there is a difference that would warrant me draining/flushing/refilling with Honda antifreeze or am I ok with the Prestone? FWIW... it's been in there since January of 2021 and I have no known issues with it yet. Thanks guys.

Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's a recent thread concerning coolant but it may not directly answer your question.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I changed my coolant about a year ago and I recently discovered that there may or may not be a difference in chemical makeup between Honda's green antifreeze and the regular old green Prestone style. I thought there was only the red (dex-cool) type and then the standard green stuff that has been on the market for decades. I did notice that when I drained the OEM Honda coolant, it was a much darker shade of green than the Prestone mix. Can someone clarify if there is a difference that would warrant me draining/flushing/refilling with Honda antifreeze or am I ok with the Prestone? FWIW... it's been in there since January of 2021 and I have no known issues with it yet. Thanks guys.
I have the 700 not 1000 so it might be different but I needed to add a little in the overflow. in my researching everyone said to stick with the blue honda antifreeze because it will extend the life of the cooling system by preventing pits and corrosion on the aluminum so I went with Honda coolant. $8.00 a qt. at dealer $32.00 a gal. on amazon. hope this helps.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You have a 1000? It's supposed to be Asian vehicle (blue.)

Reactions: Remington
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
If you believe this is a problem, or is just bothering you. You can always do a flush and start over.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You have a 1000? It's supposed to be Asian vehicle (blue.)
Yessir... Pioneer 1000-3. Mine is a 2016 year. I could have sworn it was dark green but that was before I even knew blue antifreeze existed. Manual says Pro Honda HP Coolant or equivalent ethylene glycol antifreeze. Maybe the 2016s had the old green stuff?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Guys... I just looked at images on google and what I thought was dark green was actually what they call Blue! Hope I didn't screw anything up.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
It's never too late to drain the wrong stuff and get the right stuff in there. Just be careful on older vehicles - use of anything to "clean" the system often leads to leaks, as the sh*t that's in the cracks and crevices often becomes a seal.

You can go aftermarket with Prestone blue for Asian vehicles.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have no idea what the implications of running the green stuff in your machine would be, but I can't imagine it's all that tragic. I would probably re-do it, though.

advertisement
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, so here's why you want to change it out. The old Inorganic Acid Technology (green stuff) was for cast iron blocks. Organic Acid Technology (blue is one) was developed for aluminum blocks
as more and more vehicles began to use aluminum parts and rubber seals in the system, more problems began to occur. For example, silicates caused massive amounts of scale in the system when in contact with aluminum, further causing cooling issues. Phosphates on the other hand, over time, dried and corroded anything rubber – like water pump seals.

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Being most cars and trucks today have many aluminum parts.I would say most antifreeze for aluminum would work i think i would stick with the blue.Do you think the dealers use honda antifreeze.They probley buy in bulk in a 55 gallon barrel

B

BobRack

Supporting Member
Oct 7, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
You can use any silicate free coolant regardless of color. The blue dye in Honda coolant turns a bluish/green patina like color when dry as a visual indicator.

B

BrianM

Aug 14, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. Talon X4
The key is silicate free. Some green antifreeze has (or used to have) silicates. I bet it doesn't anymore since so many vehicles have aluminum blocks. Anyway antifreezes with silicates don't play well with aluminum. I don't really know why but I had a friend with a VW van years ago that found this out the hard way.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the help guys! I still have the (almost empty) bottle of what I put in my machine. Oddly enough, it reads that it is safe for all engines and cooling system parts, including aluminum. The website states that it contains silicates and phosphates. Regardless, I'm changing back to the blue juice. Thanks again!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Update... I finally got around to replacing my traditional green antifreeze with the proper blue formula. The green stuff was in for a full year and about 3200 miles. When I looked down into the radiator, the ends of the tubes were clean and shiny as new with no scaling or corrosion that I could see. Soooo if anyone is ever in a pinch and needs to use the traditional formula, it doesn't appear to have any immediate negative effect. The only thing I could imagine is it wouldn't provide corrosion protection as long as the newer formula, but it won't damage anything short term.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!