P1000 Antifreeze smell

L

LJSXS

Nov 27, 2019
Springdale Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello Everyone!
Picked up my 2019 P1000-3 today and brought it home. Unloaded and let it idle while I put the trailer up. When I came back to get in machine I caught a glimpse of antifreeze smell. So I started looking for a leak and really didn’t get anywhere. Checked the best I could but still new to machine. Checked the coolant tank and it was over full a little bit. Switched the button over to show the coolant gauge and it stayed at 2 dark boxes while I rode for 30 minutes. Rode long enough the fan actually kicked on and off. I brought it into shop and looked again and haven’t seen anything alarming. Has anyone else ran across this issue on a new machine? Thanks again for the help!

H

HondaTech

Most likely someone stopped off the overflow and spilled some on the radiator.

How full was the bottle, I'm assuming over the top line?

L

LJSXS

Nov 27, 2019
Springdale Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here is a picture of the overflow tank. I did notice that the bottom radiator hose was not in this holder, so I put it in and clamped it shut. Wonder if that came from factory like that or was a dealer prep deal? Thanks for the help.

Image Image

Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine was leaking near the water pump and under the coolant bottle. Both clamps were barely tight but didnt leak enough coolant to see signs of it, until about 2800 miles later lol.

Reactions: Lochsa88 and LJSXS
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Pull the seat bottom and check all the clamps in there also. The several I've been around have all been loose.

L

LJSXS

Nov 27, 2019
Springdale Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok guys, I want to give a shout out to you all for your help. I pulled seat and back cover and started checking hose clamps and 90% of them were too loose. Several spots where antifreeze has leaked in the 4 miles the machine was ridden. I went thru and tightened them all up. The tightest I found were at the radiator itself. All back were loose. What they were just snug is beyond me, kind of concerning to be honest. Anyway, thanks again for the help!

E551056E 39AF 498D B3A8 8E3AFC4E2DCD BCF4C984 17E4 4AC9 BE3E 9DE6BC04735A FD6CDE0C B929 45E8 B739 B702D599BFEC 7BEDEFD1 66A7 4180 A8A1 D3E65A45F909

L

LJSXS

Nov 27, 2019
Springdale Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Wonder if this is how folks are getting air in the system?
It very well could be. Some of the clamps I tightened took a good 2-3 complete rounds on my nut driver to tighten up. I let my salesman know this evening and sent him pictures. He told me he was going to let the service manager know. My question is are these hoses being put on with a tool that stops at a specific torque or is it being done by feel? Because mine were no where close to being tight.

advertisement
H

HondaTech

The last picture shown has been a frequent sight here recently. The first couple I came across i thought were stains from temperature cycling. But I started seeing it and checked the last ones I've ran across and they've been in various states of loose.

Reactions: LJSXS
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Ok guys, I want to give a shout out to you all for your help. I pulled seat and back cover and started checking hose clamps and 90% of them were too loose. Several spots where antifreeze has leaked in the 4 miles the machine was ridden. I went thru and tightened them all up. The tightest I found were at the radiator itself. All back were loose. What they were just snug is beyond me, kind of concerning to be honest. Anyway, thanks again for the help!

View attachment 168311 View attachment 168312 View attachment 168313 View attachment 168314
The intake pipe running to the front has also had loose clamps.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!