• Thread starter Bombardier Convert
  • Start date
Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Every now and then I get a whiff of a gasoline smell from my P1K3.. usually when bouncing a bit or going up hill. Could it be from a gas tank vent line when the gas is swirling around in the tank? There are no gas leaks or any leaks of anything that I can see when parked. Just wondering if I should be concerned about it? Have had this happening pretty much since new from this spring, about 150 miles on it now.

Reactions: Rayger143

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hmmm...I guess it could be the vent line but I have never ever noticed even a hint of gasoline smell on mine. I have a windshield, hard roof and hard rear panel so I would definitely smell it if it were there. Check for wetness or staining at the top of your tank. Maybe your seal is bad. Also, make sure you screw your gas cap tight. Mine leaked out of the gas filler neck a couple times when I first got it until I got in the habit of tightening the cap snug.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hmmm...I guess it could be the vent line but I have never ever noticed even a hint of gasoline smell on mine. I have a windshield, hard roof and hard rear panel so I would definitely smell it if it were there. Check for wetness or staining at the top of your tank. Maybe your seal is bad. Also, make sure you screw your gas cap tight. Mine leaked out of the gas filler neck a couple times when I first got it until I got in the habit of tightening the cap snug.
Thanks for the reply! I have the very same set up as you. I have checked the gas cap many times and it sure seems to be closed good and tight and not cross threaded. No hint of gas coming out or around it. No hint of wetness anywhere on top. That smell just comes and goes as I ride, but mainly when doing a little rougher ride. Puzzling.

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you haven’t extended them the fuel tank is vented to just below the seat. Even with mine extended to roof line I get a wiff of it every now and then.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you haven’t extended them the fuel tank is vented to just below the seat. Even with mine extended to roof line I get a wiff of it every now and then.
Very interesting. I have not done anything to extend the vent line. Right now we have a 70 plus degree day and it is sitting out in direct sunlight and I don't smell any gasoline at all, only when riding have I ever smelled gasoline.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Very interesting. I have not done anything to extend the vent line. Right now we have a 70 plus degree day and it is sitting out in direct sunlight and I don't smell any gasoline at all, only when riding have I ever smelled gasoline.
Due to the many and repeated reports of water in the P1K gas tank caused by the low stock vent location, you should be extending that vent high on the cage anyway. It might not stop the fuel smell but it WILL stop getting water in the tank. And it will probably stop the smell too.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Due to the many and repeated reports of water in the P1K gas tank caused by the low stock vent location, you should be extending that vent high on the cage anyway. It might not stop the fuel smell but it WILL stop getting water in the tank. And it will probably stop the smell too.
Ok Thank you! I will do that!

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I looked at where that vent line is and it looks like it goes into some square channel framework that maybe is supposed to vent it further up and out? I pulled it out of the square channel and am sure it is the vent line. Just wondering why it wouldn't vent properly out that way? I don't really see how water could get to the vent line unless the machine got drownded?

Last edited:
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I looked at where that vent line is and it looks like it goes into some square channel framework that maybe is supposed to vent it further up and out? I pulled it out of the square channel and am sure it is the vent line. Just wondering why it wouldn't vent properly out that way? I don't really see how water could get to the vent line unless the machine got drownded?
It has a couple that go to about the bottom of the seat. Sub trans and differential. I don’t take mine swimming either but some holes are deeper than they look. It’s piece of mind. I can hit the holes harder if I’m not worried about the splash and it gets the fuel vent up overhead

Sted1201

Sted1201

Jan 4, 2021
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a gas smell one my Polaris Ranger 900 (I usually have 2-3 utvs running on my farm) I ignored it too. That b**** burst into flames on me and my friend. I watched it burn to the ground. Investigate those fumes before it hurts you and others. I cannot recommend a fire extinguisher enough. BTW, sold the other two polaris rangers the next week and bought me a Honda.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had a gas smell one my Polaris Ranger 900 (I usually have 2-3 utvs running on my farm) I ignored it too. That b**** burst into flames on me and my friend. I watched it burn to the ground. Investigate those fumes before it hurts you and others. I cannot recommend a fire extinguisher enough. BTW, sold the other two polaris rangers the next week and bought me a Honda.
I think I will just call my dealer and see what he says being it is still under warranty. Thanks for that comment.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine does the same. I get a gas smell once in awhile. I extended all my vent lines and it's not as bad now. @Bayouownbeer makes a great kit to extend all the lines.
Thanks
If anyone needs a kit hit me up $35

Send me PM for 5$ off eBay prices also minus any tax eBay adds. The 5$ applied with direct payment using PayPal, Venmo, cash app or Facebook pay. This is the kit thousands of members have used. Includes everything needed to extend all 6 vents with black tubing. No sourcing out parts or multiple trips to the hardware. This includes first class USPS shipping. Instructions and tracking will be emailed. For faster shipping please Inquire it’s $3 extra

Screen shot Reviews on my page in the feed

https://m.facebook.com/Hondapioneer1000seatheatsolutions/

Vent extension kit without filters recommended for 5 seater. Filters not needed your preference. Simple hour install. Great piece of mind knowing your covered.

“The Original” Honda Pioneer 1000/700/500 & Talon Vent Ext. Kit Without filters | eBay

With filters recommended for 3 seater pioneers and the Talon unless you drill three 1/4” holes to put the ends of the tubing into. If you don’t heavy mud you can use the kit without filters and simply turn the ends down 90 degrees.

“The Original” Honda Pioneer 1000/700/500 & Talon Vent Ext. Kit. With filters | eBay

Last edited:
JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have noticed I get whiffs during hot weather and on extended rides. I believe after a few hours the heat soak starts to affect the gas. Also happens when we are on some bumpy/off tilt type riding where the rig is rocking and rolling a lot.

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
monbecca

monbecca

Mar 9, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get intermittent gas smells in my P1k5 as well.
But I'll never investigate or own them. I just power through.
Same here, mostly Really bumpy trail. Dealer shrugged and said ‘sometimes’ that’s happens. Still concerns me much

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!