P1000 Raw fuel smell.

R

Red B

Feb 12, 2023
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2022 Forest edition. When we take off after a stop for a break I get a raw fuel smell. Kind of like when the old carburetors vapor locked. I can't find any fuel leaks and the vent line is clear. Any thoughts on this and a way to stop it?

We are in Arizona and the temps are in the high 70's.

Thanks Red.

Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a 2022 Forest edition. When we take off after a stop for a break I get a raw fuel smell. Kind of like when the old carburetors vapor locked. I can't find any fuel leaks and the vent line is clear. Any thoughts on this and a way to stop it?

We are in Arizona and the temps are in the high 70's.

Thanks Red.
One of the first mods you should make is @Bayouownbeer ’s vent extension kit. It includes everything you need to extend the differential, sub trans and fuel tank vents up where water can’t get into those important places. I know you live in Arizona BUT, since you’re smelling fuel, that’s where I’d start. The kit is <$40 IIRC. The P1K’s are notorious for sucking water into the fuel tank because of the stock vent location.

fwiw: the stock fuel vent on a Talon is fairly low and under the plastic firewall, in front of the passenger compartment. Any fumes will naturally be carried back to the people. The tank extension will relocate that behind the passengers.

R

Red B

Feb 12, 2023
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update...

Trying to solve this, I put a sheet of silver bubble pack between the engine and the fuel tank. On yesterdays ride I didn't have any fuel smell. It was windy though, 20 mph, not sure if that made the difference or not.

Haven't had time to order the vent extension kit yet, but I will either make one or buy one.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
The vent line was changed on the 2022.
Now the fuel vent line plugs in to the back side of the roll bar B-pillar about the same height as the seat frame.
You can still run the vent higher but I doubt there is any benefit.

Insulating the fuel tank is probably a good tactic.
I have an old (1949) Ferguson tractor, on a hot day I can hear the gas boiling in the tank when it's been run hard and shut off.
I'm sure anything you can do to reduce the heat input to the tank is helping.

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where did the vent tube run to on the 2020 model? I have one I bought used, I checked it and the vent runs up to the roof! I'm guessing this was extended.

Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
R

Red B

Feb 12, 2023
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The vent line was changed on the 2022.
Now the fuel vent line plugs in to the back side of the roll bar B-pillar about the same height as the seat frame.
You can still run the vent higher but I doubt there is any benefit.

Insulating the fuel tank is probably a good tactic.
I have an old (1949) Ferguson tractor, on a hot day I can hear the gas boiling in the tank when it's been run hard and shut off.
I'm sure anything you can do to reduce the heat input to the tank is helping.
Thanks Lee.

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, and sorry I missed this previous info. I should wear my glasses more often :cool:, maybe not the shaded ones though.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One of the first mods you should make is @Bayouownbeer ’s vent extension kit. It includes everything you need to extend the differential, sub trans and fuel tank vents up where water can’t get into those important places. I know you live in Arizona BUT, since you’re smelling fuel, that’s where I’d start. The kit is <$40 IIRC. The P1K’s are notorious for sucking water into the fuel tank because of the stock vent location.

fwiw: the stock fuel vent on a Talon is fairly low and under the plastic firewall, in front of the passenger compartment. Any fumes will naturally be carried back to the people. The tank extension will relocate that behind the passengers.

Thanks for the recommendation. I have the kits for $30 and $35 with filters. Anyone needs a kit at the discount send me a PM or I have them on eBay.

Vent extension kit without filters recommended for 5 seater. Filters not needed your preference. Simple hour install. Great piece of mind knowing your covered.

“The Original” Honda Pioneer 1000/700/500 & Talon Vent Ext. Kit Without filters | eBay

With filters recommended for 3 seater pioneers and the Talon. If you don’t heavy mud you can use the kit without filters and simply turn the ends down 90 degrees.

“The Original” Honda Pioneer 1000/700/500 & Talon Vent Ext. Kit. With filters | eBay

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!