• Start date
F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2021 1000-5 with around 300 miles on it. It doesn’t get rode a lot because of time. The last time I started it up was a month to month and a half ago. Well it’s cold in michigan now and we have a bigger snow storm coming so I figured I’d better go out and fire it up to make sure the batteries were good. Turn the key and tried to start it and the dual battery system said 9.7 volts from the drain over the last month and half. It just naturally made the clicking sound and no fire up. I put a jump box on it and it fired up but ran really rough from probably lower voltage and also 15-20 degree temps and the lack of running for so long. It would spit and spitter and then shut off. The steering wheel light came on and the oil pressure light did as well. I tried starting one more time after the batteries charged for an hour and the same thing. Battery voltage was up but still not perfect. Put the charger on the sxs for a full day and it brought both batteries up to perfect voltage. The sxs fires right up. Maybe idles a little sluggish for a few seconds and then gets into the correct idle rpm’s. Both the steering wheel light and oil light went away. When I throttle it up it just sounds off and with the garage door closed it was like a 2 stroke snowmobile in there with heavy gas fumes and white exhaust. There was definitely gas coming out of the exhaust because of it leaving a mark on the floor and a box behind my sxs. Does this sound like trying to start it and run it with low voltage it flooded the motor? Even though there was 24 hours in between starting it back up from the first initial fail and then charge? I’m gonna get new plugs and see if that fixes it but does anyone have any insight into this? I know enough to be dangerous.

61895843 BBC2 4EB0 9D67 9C9AF68E25D4 15F82C50 3737 4CC7 BB05 745F799270EA

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
if its smoking white then its a compression issue or coolant going into combustion chambers fuel injection really doesnt flood with gas before you replace the spark plugs you might squirt alittle oil or atf in the cylinders and let it sit awhile then start it let it burn off it could have slightly stuck rings from setting

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think it's just condensation from being so cold. Start a cold car or truck engine on dry concrete and you'll get a water spot under the exhaust tip every time. New plugs won't hurt but they're iridium or platinum and should still be good at 2 years (but not necessarily).

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
if its smoking white then its a compression issue or coolant going into combustion chambers fuel injection really doesnt flood with gas before you replace the spark plugs you might squirt alittle oil or atf in the cylinders and let it sit awhile then start it let it burn off it could have slightly stuck rings from setting
Do I just take the spark plugs out and squirt some inside the cylinder? If so how much are you talking? A pop top full?

Reactions: Smitty335
F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think it's just condensation from being so cold. Start a cold car or truck engine on dry concrete and you'll get a water spot under the exhaust tip every time. New plugs won't hurt but they're iridium or platinum and should still be good at 2 years (but not necessarily).
Yea I get the condensation and it is cold. Just the smell of fuel will
Run you out of the garage.

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
change plugs, if it sounds off and dumping/smelling like fuel, cylinder out……
Is it common for these things to have a cylinder out at 300 miles? That seems
Pretty weird but anything could go I guess. When I rev it up it will rev up and then once I let off the gas it will drop down below idle
Speed and then act like it wants to stall but won’t and then it jumps back to normal.

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also if it’s a stuck ring, could
I check each cylinder for
Compression and would that show a stuck ring?

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Is it common for these things to have a cylinder out at 300 miles? That seems
Pretty weird but anything could go I guess. When I rev it up it will rev up and then once I let off the gas it will drop down below idle
Speed and then act like it wants to stall but won’t and then it jumps back to normal.
Sounds like maybe IACV needs cleaned or maybe a mouse chewed on an injector wire

advertisement
F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like maybe IACV needs cleaned or maybe a mouse chewed on an injector wire
Where are these located on the machine? I can start tracing from there. Under the front or rear seat? Thanks

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
these are known to have a plug fa of sitting, not warmed up, etc.

these are not known for stuck rings, etc….

here is a recommendation based on sounds “off”, raw fuel smell….

-swap in a set of new plugs

I would think of it was a bad injector/wire, would have the opposite symptoms, would sound off but no fuel dumping out

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Where are these located on the machine? I can start tracing from there. Under the front or rear seat? Thanks
The inj. Connectors and IACV are on top of the engine by the throttle bodies.
Lift the bed and remove plastic engine cover. There are some posts in the search bar that go into detail about what to do once you find them. Removing seat back gives more room to see everything

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I would think of it was a bad injector/wire, would have the opposite symptoms, would sound off but no fuel dumping out
That’s a good point about no fuel dumping if injector wire broken.

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The inj. Connectors and IACV are on top of the engine by the throttle bodies.
Lift the bed and remove plastic engine cover. There are some posts in the search bar that go into detail about what to do once you find them. Removing seat back gives more room to see everything
Ok thanks.

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks. That’s my thought as well. I just don’t know what these things are known for yet. My first instinct to those symptoms were plugs. So let me ask you this. If a plug was fouled, it was dumping fuel and blowing it out the exhaust which I’m confident it is. Should I do a cap full of oil into the spark plug hole to relube the cylinder walls and rings because if it was full of gas that could have stripped the walls of lube. If so how much should I pour into the hole? Pop top cap full of 2 stroke oil?

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Also when I turn the key on and don’t start the sxs these two lights are on. Is that normal? They go out or at least they did last night after I started the machine.

A8637D89 8F82 4989 8B50 EE54344FD88C

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Also if it’s a stuck ring, could
I check each cylinder for
Compression and would that show a stuck ring?
Not sure about access on the Pioneer but on a Talon you can physically reach the exhausts at the head - if you can, with a cold engine, start it, grab each exhaust, if you have a bad plug, one exhaust will heat up, the other won't - now you know the bad cylinder/plug.
Also when I turn the key on and don’t start the sxs these two lights are on. Is that normal? They go out or at least they did last night after I started the machine.

View attachment 367278
Although I have a Talon, those two are lit on mine, key on, engine off. The green N (neutral) light was also lit.

F

Fordpickupjaybird2003

Supporting Member
Dec 18, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure about access on the Pioneer but on a Talon you can physically reach the exhausts at the head - if you can, with a cold engine, start it, grab each exhaust, if you have a bad plug, one exhaust will heat up, the other won't - now you know the bad cylinder/plug.

Although I have a Talon, those two are lit on mine, key on, engine off. The green N (neutral) light was also lit.
Thank you!

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!