Any one have experience with Kaufman trailers?

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Kicking the idea around of selling my aluminum 18’+2 car trailer and getting a gooseneck split tilt trailer.

Mostly considering something with a 10’ or so deck and around a 14’ tilt deck.

I need something I can bring my skidsteer plus 3-4 attachments or skid steer and smaller tractor, or pioneer etc at the same time. Not wanting a deck over…want to keep it easy to use for cars as well.

any one ever bought factory direct from Kaufman trailers?

I’m close enough to the Nebraska location to make it interesting to go get it.

Anything comparable to my area is easy 4 k more expensive…

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a Kaufman 22’, 14k rated tilt bed used from my buddy. It’s been a great trailer . I use it to haul my excavator, tractor, and both Pioneers when I still had the 500. I’ve used it 3 times hauling stuff from NC to Idaho as well. I’m definitely pleased with it.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Kicking the idea around of selling my aluminum 18’+2 car trailer and getting a gooseneck split tilt trailer.

Mostly considering something with a 10’ or so deck and around a 14’ tilt deck.

I need something I can bring my skidsteer plus 3-4 attachments or skid steer and smaller tractor, or pioneer etc at the same time. Not wanting a deck over…want to keep it easy to use for cars as well.

any one ever bought factory direct from Kaufman trailers?

I’m close enough to the Nebraska location to make it interesting to go get it.

Anything comparable to my area is easy 4 k more expensive…
I see a ton of Kaufman trailers in my area in SC. We have one at work they bought used and seems to be well made. Guy I know bought one direct from them and he had a good experience with them. And you can get them to customize anything you want if you talk with them. I'm in the same boat as you with a 20' trailer. That extra 4' would be great.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a Kaufman 22’, 14k rated tilt bed used from my buddy. It’s been a great trailer . I use it to haul my excavator, tractor, and both Pioneers when I still had the 500. I’ve used it 3 times hauling stuff from NC to Idaho as well. I’m definitely pleased with it.
Awesome! @100Acre are you running a bumper pull or a gooseneck?

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see a ton of Kaufman trailers in my area in SC. We have one at work they bought used and seems to be well made. Guy I know bought one direct from them and he had a good experience with them. And you can get them to customize anything you want if you talk with them. I'm in the same boat as you with a 20' trailer. That extra 4' would be great.
Thanks for the in sight…

I really like my car trailer, and it trailers very nice but it’s quite a job getting the attachments to fit plus the skidsteer. By the time you put the post hole digger on, post/tree puller, brush grapple, and the skidsteer with the bucket on the trailer, it’s quite full. I also don’t like using the ramps with the skidsteer…they work fine as long as you’ve got an attachment on the skidsteer, but it’s quite spooky without.

I put an inquiry in on a 28’ gooseneck tilt deck. It has a 14’ stationary deck and a 14’ tilt with 17k rating. Seems to me this would be a handy trailer. And have a nice fixed front deck.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the in sight…

I really like my car trailer, and it trailers very nice but it’s quite a job getting the attachments to fit plus the skidsteer. By the time you put the post hole digger on, post/tree puller, brush grapple, and the skidsteer with the bucket on the trailer, it’s quite full. I also don’t like using the ramps with the skidsteer…they work fine as long as you’ve got an attachment on the skidsteer, but it’s quite spooky without.

I put an inquiry in on a 28’ gooseneck tilt deck. It has a 14’ stationary deck and a 14’ tilt with 17k rating. Seems to me this would be a handy trailer. And have a nice fixed front deck.
8' longer even better. My 20' is pretty much full with my skidsteer with forks and a 4n1 bucket so I understand that.

My two recommendations are.... get 2 spare tires and defintely get electric jacks. I have electric jacks on my B&A 30' gooseneck I use at work all the time. Well worth having those

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Yes, I owned one. It was a special order of exactly what I wanted. I called and spoke with a young sales rep to tell him what I wanted. A few weeks later I drove up to their Nebraska plant and picked it up. It was exactly what I wanted.

I think it was 22' long, diamond tread steel deck, dovetail, 2 5/16" coupler, two 7,000 lb. axles, 16,000 lb. GVWR, four wheel 12" electric brakes, 16' wheels, and LT235/85R16LRE tires. I added and installed a 12,500 lb. winch, battery box, and 12 volt deep cycle battery.

It was structurally strong, completely functional, and towed great. I would recommend a Kaufman trailer.

I have more photos but can't locate them.

DSC 2936 IMG 1295 1

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, I owned one. It was a special order of exactly what I wanted. I called and spoke with a young sales rep to tell him what I wanted. A few weeks later I drove up to their Nebraska plant and picked it up. It was exactly what I wanted.

I think it was 22' long, diamond tread steel deck, dovetail, 2 5/16" coupler, two 7,000 lb. axles, 16,000 lb. GVWR, four wheel 12" electric brakes, 16' wheels, and LT235/85R16LRE tires. I added and installed a 12,500 lb. winch, battery box, and 12 volt deep cycle battery.

It was structurally strong, completely functional, and towed great. I would recommend a Kaufman trailer.

I have more photos but can't locate them.

View attachment 383294 View attachment 383296
Nice!

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like they build a good trailer. I don't see many of them around here. I ordered a custom built 24' Retco trailer 2 weeks ago. It is being built now. 24', 20' flat with a 4' dove. 5k axles, 6" tongue, 6" deck , recessed lights with slide in ramps. Looking forward to getting it later this month

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update on this, I haven’t pulled the trigger yet on exactly what I want, but I’m realizing that I really dont want to buy something that I can’t put my full size tractor on, OR put family farm tractors on either….meaning I really need something 102” wide.

I recently brought my skidsteer home on my 18+2 car trailer, this time I only brought home the brush cutter set on the far front of the trailer, and drove on the skidsteer with the bucket as far forward as I could. Physically everything fit, but according to my bumper hitch scale (I have a weigh safe 20k drop hitch) I had just a smidge over 100lbs on the hitch.🥺🤯. The only change I could have made was to back on the skid steer ( not a fan of this because the rear window is extremely expensive and already replaced once this year). Because I was in a hurry and only had to go 40 mi, I took back road county highways home and kept the speed to around 45. Clearly this was a wake-up call.

I’ve narrowed down my search to wanting a 30’ gooseneck preferably. No less than 26’. I’m seeing some 102 wide trailers out there that are low profile with drive over ramps. I have seen three varieties of this type of trailer. Straight deck with pull out ramps ( least expensive, not my preferred), straight deck with mini dive tail and full width flip over ramps (I like this, but the rear bumper is crazy close to the ground), and then full wide split tilt deck ( definitely the most expensive). The issue I see with all of these low pro trailers is that there’s not a lot of margin under the rear bumper if you’re getting off the road. Also, to get beyond 15k GVWR, your only choice is triple axel singles.

On the other hand, I can find a 26’ full deck over, hydro full tilt, with dual tandems for 3 k less than the same low pro 102 wide split tilt which is boggling to me. Using a trailer like this for my skid steer and attachments seems weird to me…I guess I’d have to strap down all the attachments first (not always having a extra loader available), tilt the entire deck and then drive on the skid steer. Would imagine that it would be similar operation if I brought my pioneer along or small tractor plus the skid steer.

More and more I think I keep talking my self into a deck over with a set of flip over ramps lol.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Looks like they build a good trailer. I don't see many of them around here. I ordered a custom built 24' Retco trailer 2 weeks ago. It is being built now. 24', 20' flat with a 4' dove. 5k axles, 6" tongue, 6" deck , recessed lights with slide in ramps. Looking forward to getting it later this month

I wish I had seen this post earlier. I strongly recommend trailers with 16" wheels and LT235/85R16 light truck tires. My Kaufman trailer was ordered with two 7,000lb axles, electric brakes on both axles. and 16" wheels with LT235/85R16 tires.

It has been my long experience that no tire maker molds decent 15" tires. What is made are generally passenger car tires. Most are made in China and nicknamed "willPop" tires.

Upgrading to 7k axles was not very expensive and gives the trailer a GVWR of 14,000 lbs. Many tire makers mold decent 16" light truck tires that will carry heavy loads all day long at interstate highway speeds in hot summer weather. 15" WillPops are guaranteed to fail in those conditions.

• Haha
Reactions: Scoop and CID
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wish I had seen this post earlier. I strongly recommend trailers with 16" wheels and LT235/85R16 light truck tires. My Kaufman trailer was ordered with two 7,000lb axles, electric brakes on both axles. and 16" wheels with LT235/85R16 tires.

It has been my long experience that no tire maker molds decent 15" tires. What is made are generally passenger car tires. Most are made in China and nicknamed "willPop" tires.

Upgrading to 7k axles was not very expensive and gives the trailer a GVWR of 14,000 lbs. Many tire makers mold decent 16" light truck tires that will carry heavy loads all day long at interstate highway speeds in hot summer weather. 15" WillPops are guaranteed to fail in those conditions.
As far as China bomb 15” tires, you can get USA made Goodyear trailer tires again or Sailuns ( made in China but have good following and reputation $$$$$) or go up several load ranges on the China bombs and plan on replacing every 3 years or less.

I upsized my 15” China bombs on my aluminum car trailer from 205 Ds to 225 Es, gained some height on the trailer, but more volume in the tires which should help run cooler with less stress on the individual tire. Still change them out every three years and try to rotate them at least one time in that span.

Reactions: Scoop and Backwoods
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just recently got ride of this. I pulled my Dads skid steer many a mile also hauled 90hp tractor and 15 ft bush together a lot. If I had to do it again I’d buy the same one. But I also used a F550. It tried it behind a 350 dual tire but that was a useless truck with a big tractor on it

View attachment 410760
Cool

It’s nothing to see a SRW F350 pulling a 90 hp tractor around my parts and set such that they aren’t exceeding the truck axel weights. For sure at or a bit over GVWR in total. They definitely make sure the brakes are working lol.

Reactions: Backwoods and Scoop
Phantomhunter1

Phantomhunter1

Mar 2, 2021
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update on this, I haven’t pulled the trigger yet on exactly what I want, but I’m realizing that I really dont want to buy something that I can’t put my full size tractor on, OR put family farm tractors on either….meaning I really need something 102” wide.

I recently brought my skidsteer home on my 18+2 car trailer, this time I only brought home the brush cutter set on the far front of the trailer, and drove on the skidsteer with the bucket as far forward as I could. Physically everything fit, but according to my bumper hitch scale (I have a weigh safe 20k drop hitch) I had just a smidge over 100lbs on the hitch.🥺🤯. The only change I could have made was to back on the skid steer ( not a fan of this because the rear window is extremely expensive and already replaced once this year). Because I was in a hurry and only had to go 40 mi, I took back road county highways home and kept the speed to around 45. Clearly this was a wake-up call.

I’ve narrowed down my search to wanting a 30’ gooseneck preferably. No less than 26’. I’m seeing some 102 wide trailers out there that are low profile with drive over ramps. I have seen three varieties of this type of trailer. Straight deck with pull out ramps ( least expensive, not my preferred), straight deck with mini dive tail and full width flip over ramps (I like this, but the rear bumper is crazy close to the ground), and then full wide split tilt deck ( definitely the most expensive). The issue I see with all of these low pro trailers is that there’s not a lot of margin under the rear bumper if you’re getting off the road. Also, to get beyond 15k GVWR, your only choice is triple axel singles.

On the other hand, I can find a 26’ full deck over, hydro full tilt, with dual tandems for 3 k less than the same low pro 102 wide split tilt which is boggling to me. Using a trailer like this for my skid steer and attachments seems weird to me…I guess I’d have to strap down all the attachments first (not always having a extra loader available), tilt the entire deck and then drive on the skid steer. Would imagine that it would be similar operation if I brought my pioneer along or small tractor plus the skid steer.

More and more I think I keep talking my self into a deck over with a set of flip over ramps lol.
Not to throw a wrench in your plans but I might suggest you look at Texas Pride trailers. I had them build a custom trailer for hauling a skid steer or mini excavator on for my purposes. It's a 16k tandem axle trailer that's 20' long, 102" wide with drive over fenders. I think they had 18k tandem option as well. I had them make a chain basket in the front tongue, put cross member 12" O.C., 8" or 10" I beam frame cant remember, raised 3" square tube rail for more tie down points and keep anything for falling off ie.spare bucket or auger, 2' dovetail, and 5' fold down ramps with knee braces, adjustable hitch mount. Had a local sawmill cut me 2x10 white oak decking. Trailer is heavy. Around 4400 lbs empty, but exactly what I wanted for hauling a skid and attachment or 2. I have a gooseneck that is nice for hauling more stuff at once, but sometimes too big. I had a tilt trailer that absolutely hated. Tilt part is nice, but if attachmentt is too big to fit on stationary part of deck it interferes with tilt portion. Becomes a real pain if hauling more than 1 attachment.

Phantomhunter1

Phantomhunter1

Mar 2, 2021
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Forgot to mention. I like Moritz trailers but they would not custom build me one. Also like Load Trail or Diamond C for gooseneck. Use Eager Beaver tag along dual tandems that are 40k capacity for bigger equipment. They have one with an extra drop axle and lesser capacity as well. The Eager Beaver is not much fun to pull with a 1 ton though. Best with at least a 5500 or bigger truck.

Reactions: Backwoods
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not to throw a wrench in your plans but I might suggest you look at Texas Pride trailers. I had them build a custom trailer for hauling a skid steer or mini excavator on for my purposes. It's a 16k tandem axle trailer that's 20' long, 102" wide with drive over fenders. I think they had 18k tandem option as well. I had them make a chain basket in the front tongue, put cross member 12" O.C., 8" or 10" I beam frame cant remember, raised 3" square tube rail for more tie down points and keep anything for falling off ie.spare bucket or auger, 2' dovetail, and 5' fold down ramps with knee braces, adjustable hitch mount. Had a local sawmill cut me 2x10 white oak decking. Trailer is heavy. Around 4400 lbs empty, but exactly what I wanted for hauling a skid and attachment or 2. I have a gooseneck that is nice for hauling more stuff at once, but sometimes too big. I had a tilt trailer that absolutely hated. Tilt part is nice, but if attachmentt is too big to fit on stationary part of deck it interferes with tilt portion. Becomes a real pain if hauling more than 1 attachment.
Nothing against Texas Pride, just aren’t sold around me. I have seen a few FB listings.

4400 lbs is pretty light for a steel gooseneck trailer. Did you actually weight it. Most are around 6500 lbs or so for something in a 25’ deck over with flip over ramps…but they are 12” ibeams etc.

I got a few calls on some 30’ dove tail trailers in a few different versions, 16k and 21k.

I’m absolutely stunned at how expensive trailers are now, even used ones. 10 year old trailers are selling for more than what they cost new back in the day by a big margin.

• Sad
Reactions: Backwoods and CID
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Don't over think it. If you can swing it go with a 30' deck over gooseneck with flip up ramps. I really think a tilt deck would be aggravating. 30' deck over gives you plenty of room for attachments

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
For truck and trailer stability and ease of towing, definitely a gooseneck. Never had a Kaufman trailer so I can't speak to that part.

Phantomhunter1

Phantomhunter1

Mar 2, 2021
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nothing against Texas Pride, just aren’t sold around me. I have seen a few FB listings.

4400 lbs is pretty light for a steel gooseneck trailer. Did you actually weight it. Most are around 6500 lbs or so for something in a 25’ deck over with flip over ramps…but they are 12” ibeams etc.

I got a few calls on some 30’ dove tail trailers in a few different versions, 16k and 21k.

I’m absolutely stunned at how expensive trailers are now, even used ones. 10 year old trailers are selling for more than what they cost new back in the day by a big margin.
Yeah Texas Pride is not local to me either. I'm in Ohio. They build them in Texas then stack a few up and haul them to a distributor local to your region. Then deliver it. A guy from TN hauled mine to my house. He said he had 2 stacked on mine. I was last stop. Delivery was around $700 a few years ago. This trailer is a tag along. Not gooseneck. They can make it in gooseneck configuration. I didn't want this one to be gooseneck because when I use it I often have bed loaded with rolled tile or something else that need bed space for. This trailer is only 20' tag along and weighs 4400lb and was primarily just for skid or mini excavator. That weight range you mentioned for the gooseneck @ 25' or so sounds about right. Just referencing them because they will build pretty much whatever. You can build it on their website. Only thing i added that wasnt on the was the chain basket and the knee ramps. It's low profile style but deck is still 20"-24" off ground IIRC. It was weighed at local grain elevator for registration but do not remember if deck was on it or not yet. Didn't get the lumber until after trailer was delivered. They only offered pine and in my experience it doesn't hold up as well to heavy equipment as white oak. I oil down my trailer decks with used motor oil in the winter and they last a long time that way. Just slick for a bit.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!