Anyone have knowledge on 1980's square body Chevy/GMC?

Y

Yackobeen

Jun 16, 2021
MA
Ownership

1. 700-4
That truck is a special thing, My 15 year old is looking for such a rig. Oh I wish I had Grandpa's truck, it was nothing special but it was his... as mentioned above. Good luck! and as everyone else has said above... PM me if you do want to sell -You should have a lottery!

R

Redfishdrew

Feb 4, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon X4
It’s a great looking truck hard to find the 4 door model I am with everyone else I would keep it and pass it down but if you must sell it that truck should get a really good price and sell fast but I would keep it and enjoy it like it should be but if you do sell it let me know

Soaz1000

Soaz1000

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
Soaz
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What a beauty a rare 4 door at that. Worth the buying price plus more. My 83 is no where in that kind of shape and I have had people follow me around town asking if I want to sell it.

I'm getting close to retiring and in the same dilemma as you. I can fix up the 83 or fix up the father n laws 54 Willys cj3b, can't do both. Everytime I look at the Willys I see him standing there smiling at me. If you decide to store it at least start it up and drive it around now and then those old seals have a tendency to get brittle and start leaking. Also today's gas is different than it was back then valve guilds can get varnished up resulting in a bent valve. Ask me how in know ? If nothing else seek advice on properly how to store it.
Theres lots of knowledgeable people on the forum that can advise you.Good luck on your decision
20211208 092723

I

Imfartin

Oct 17, 2021
SWLA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Unless you receive genuine enjoyment from the vehicle you'll ultimately regret your decision to keep her. I went thru this with my grandfathers 1963 Thunderbird. Yes it was his, And yes it had sentimental value, but I really didn't receive enjoyment out of ownership and every time I'd turnaround it was maintenance and upkeep issues. Keep your memories happy ones, the frustrations of classic car ownership are very real and can be quite pricey and invariably eat away at those fond memories over time. It is your grandfather you remember, the truck was just a small piece of that.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
FYI:
Could have a all metal fully enclosed ( Corolina Carport mfg.) big enough to store this truck.
Worth the phone call & price check.
They will come & Build & Assemble (All precut ) on your property usually done in ONE DAY.
Had a 18x20 ( "Certified" = stronger frame ) put up a few years ago for under $4000.00.
We put 4x6 poles in ground for anchoring.
Arrived 8:30 AM. 3 Men Leveled & built off of the poles. Completely Finished & couple beers -- drove away by 7:30 PM All in ONE Day.
2 years later a Tornado blew through 120 MPH. Winds & it's still standing No wind damage.

C

ckeele223

Apr 2, 2019
St. George, Utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
I am not sure but I think the trucks with 4 doors are pretty rare, that's back before everybody made a super cab or whatever they call them now, if you can work out a way to hang on to it that isn't too much of a burden, you will probably be glad later on down the road, I know I have sold things like that only to discover later on that I had a change in lifestyle and now I could really use a truck to help implement that newfound lifestyle, besides when will you ever be able to have something your Grandfather loved and spent his time in?

ccso280k9

ccso280k9

Nov 30, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 700-2
You have a classic there, don't sell it. That truck will only go up in value. I'm in North Carolina and that truck would sell for close or more that your Grand Dad paid for it in 1983 !! I would love to have that truck and guarantee you it would not be for sell. You have a piece of history and good memories of your Grand Dad. God bless and be safe.

C

cc1999

Feb 5, 2016
KS/OK
That is a very nice old square body crew cab. She has a big block 454, also a cool option.
If it were a 4x4 I could see it selling for over 30K.

If I were guessing it is likely still worth 15-20k at least what it cost new, maybe a little more.
As others mentioned, the classic truck market has been growing rapidly the past few years.

This truck is a high option big block crew cab. Crew cabs are pretty rare back the 80s, they outsell the regular cabs by far today.
Back then that was not the case. I would say a crew cab in that sort of condition is going to continue to climb in value if kept nice.

That Rust may continue to spread, and it might be worth it, if keeping it to try and address a few things like that to help preserve it. If not possible, then it may be best to sell it now while it is still in nice shape.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
I'd suggest selling it for as much as you can get for it. That thing will burn more fuel idling than your Ram will burn at 60 mph. And if you start driving it, it'll start nickle and diming you, you'll always be putting money and parts into it. It looks great and will bring a good price. Take a few pics for sentimental purposes, and some day you'll say "damn, I wish I still had it". But you'll have none of the frustration of driving an old truck that will start leaking oil and making valve noises and stalling because the carb needs a rebuild and, oh, it'll need a new battery and starter and alternator and A/C compressor and heat riser valve and belts and radiator hoses shortly after you start driving it. Well, the rad hose will blow out when you're 1000 miles from home towing a trailer during some blistering hot day...

C

cc1999

Feb 5, 2016
KS/OK
I had an 87 regular cab that had TB FI 454 in it. 87 was the first year for TB FI engines in these trucks.
It was good pretty much good for 10mpg empty or loaded, almost always 10mpg.

Funny thing, that is the same milage pretty much in the same scenarios as my 2021 RAM TRX gets.
Empty or loaded 10mpg. lol

I would imagine that Carbureted version from 1984 was about the same maybe a little less.
I doubt the potential buyers for those old classic trucks will care about the fuel milage.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
You need to keep this truck. And, keep it in a dry environment. Use a dehumidifier or whatever you have to do. My 2012 F150 with 60K f150 rusted waaaay more than I thought it would sitting in a somewhat damp shed.

Dad had a 68 mustang fastback with 289, mag wheels painted candy apple red. He waxed it every weekend. And then my older brother was born and mom made him sell it. I can't explain how much he regretted it but he did. So, find a nice dry place for that old girl and get her out after the spring rains have washed the salt off the roads because you'll never be able to replace that beauty!

B

Bernie68812

Nov 3, 2018
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 700-2
Good afternoon,
I have a 1984 GMC Sierra Classic 2500 that was my grandfathers tow rig. My grandpa passed in 1992 but we have maintained the truck since then but really don't drive it much. Been kicking around the idea of selling it as I keep it in my parents garage and they are looking to sell their place. I held onto it as an heirloom and because of the awesome memories but now that I will be losing my free storage, I have considered selling it.
BUT... the more I look into it, the more confused I get. Basically, if it's "just another 1980s truck" I'm okay selling it to someone who will drive it and enjoy it. But, if it actually has some value beyond just the sentimental type, it might make sense for me to keep it and figure out a storage solution.
So, this is probably a long shot but can anyone give me some insight as to what I have or point me in a direction where I could get more info. I have no problem doing the research but because I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area, I'm not even sure where to find good information. I'll attach a few pics to this post. One of the pics is a closeup of a bit of rust. There are a few spots like this but that is the extent of it. Thank you for your assistance.
MarkView attachment 307235View attachment 307236View attachment 307237View attachment 307238View attachment 307239View attachment 307240View attachment 307241View attachment 307242
Don't sell that PU. If you sell it you can never get it back.
Good afternoon,
I have a 1984 GMC Sierra Classic 2500 that was my grandfathers tow rig. My grandpa passed in 1992 but we have maintained the truck since then but really don't drive it much. Been kicking around the idea of selling it as I keep it in my parents garage and they are looking to sell their place. I held onto it as an heirloom and because of the awesome memories but now that I will be losing my free storage, I have considered selling it.
BUT... the more I look into it, the more confused I get. Basically, if it's "just another 1980s truck" I'm okay selling it to someone who will drive it and enjoy it. But, if it actually has some value beyond just the sentimental type, it might make sense for me to keep it and figure out a storage solution.
So, this is probably a long shot but can anyone give me some insight as to what I have or point me in a direction where I could get more info. I have no problem doing the research but because I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area, I'm not even sure where to find good information. I'll attach a few pics to this post. One of the pics is a closeup of a bit of rust. There are a few spots like this but that is the extent of it. Thank you for your assistance.
MarkView attachment 307235View attachment 307236View attachment 307237View attachment 307238View attachment 307239View attachment 307240View attachment 307241View attachment 307242
If you sell that PU you never can get it back. Save it, take of it, be proud of it

200X

200X

Sep 5, 2019
Northern Utah
Ownership

1. Other Brand
That's a beautiful truck! If you do Facebook, there's a Facebook group called 73-87 GMC & Chevy Square Body Trucks. You will find lots of interesting stuff on that site.

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a beautiful truck! If you do Facebook, there's a Facebook group called 73-87 GMC & Chevy Square Body Trucks. You will find lots of interesting stuff on that site.
Anything that’s carburated is nothing but a big pain in the axx.I realize it’s ur grandpa’s truck.If u have the disposable income to throw at it great.You would have to spend a lot of time and money to convert it into a dependable daily driver.Look at Cummins pusher thread on building his personal truck,If u had to pay his labor that truck of his is worth close to 80 grand. If u have no vision of building it for ur personal use , sell it .It will become nothing but a money pit,especially if u have to keep insurance on it.

Kinlaw

Kinlaw

Mar 26, 2021
NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sell it!! The market is sky high right now!!

If you could get it into a well publicized auction and get 2 or 3 bidders on it, there's no telling how much $$ it would bring.

Happy trails

Happy trails

Sep 12, 2021
Peoria arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Keep it! Everyone regrets letting theirs go now. This one is unique and you have the history and a personal connection to it. The 3 speed trans is a drag, especially with those tall gears, but you have options there. Lots of torque! I would put a big 'ol camper on it and tow my Pioneer everywhere with pride.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!