BOX1

Anyone have knowledge on 1980's square body Chevy/GMC?

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Exactly what all these guys are saying. KEEP IT. You will regret it if you don't. With a big block and more than likely a TH400 trans, camper special 8600GVW it is easily worth the same money that your grandfather paid for it. I remember when the crew cab 3+3 came out most thought they were ugly. Nowdays people don't want a regular cab and want 4 doors. I am looking to trade mine or sell mine to buy a crew cab big block but I'm looking for a 4x4. I don't think I will find one in the same condition as yours. And if I did I probably couldn't afford it.
P1020414

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Is it a 2500 series (3/4 ton) or 3500 series (one ton)?

The transmission installed with the big block 454 ci engine will be a TH-400 which is the toughest version of the old GM three speed Hydramatic transmission

Those old trucks were excellent trailer tow vehicles back in their day but terrible gas hogs with limited power.

If someone here doesn't buy it I recommend you contact Hemmings Auctions

If Hemmings will accept it (I think they will) and you provide excellent photos and detailed description it will bring more money than a typical private sale. Hemmings will charge you $99 to list it and work with you to set a reasonable price. The buyer will pay a small percentage on top of sale price.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good afternoon,
I have a 1984 GMC Sierra Classic 2500 that was my grandfathers tow rig. My grandpa passed in 1992 but we have maintained the truck since then but really don't drive it much. Been kicking around the idea of selling it as I keep it in my parents garage and they are looking to sell their place. I held onto it as an heirloom and because of the awesome memories but now that I will be losing my free storage, I have considered selling it.
BUT... the more I look into it, the more confused I get. Basically, if it's "just another 1980s truck" I'm okay selling it to someone who will drive it and enjoy it. But, if it actually has some value beyond just the sentimental type, it might make sense for me to keep it and figure out a storage solution.
So, this is probably a long shot but can anyone give me some insight as to what I have or point me in a direction where I could get more info. I have no problem doing the research but because I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area, I'm not even sure where to find good information. I'll attach a few pics to this post. One of the pics is a closeup of a bit of rust. There are a few spots like this but that is the extent of it. Thank you for your assistance.
MarkView attachment 307235View attachment 307236View attachment 307237View attachment 307238View attachment 307239View attachment 307240View attachment 307241View attachment 307242
There have been 4x4s like that sell locally here for 20k in the laat year a guy currently has one listed on fb for 32k and with the price if trucks i don't think thats unreasonable. Its a beautiful truck and if i were in your shoes the family history would make it priceless to me.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
OP, looking back over this thread I see a late model Ford Powerstroke pickup in the background. This tells me you know full well what dogs those old big block gasoline-powered trucks were.

After he big three began offering powerful and fuel-efficient turbo diesel trucks the old gas hogs became museum pieces.

It's time to pass grandpa's truck on to someone who appreciates it and can live with 7 or 8 mpg towing and 10 mpg empty.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Exactly what all these guys are saying. KEEP IT. You will regret it if you don't. With a big block and more than likely a TH400 trans, camper special 8600GVW it is easily worth the same money that your grandfather paid for it. I remember when the crew cab 3+3 came out most thought they were ugly. Nowdays people don't want a regular cab and want 4 doors. I am looking to trade mine or sell mine to buy a crew cab big block but I'm looking for a 4x4. I don't think I will find one in the same condition as yours. And if I did I probably couldn't afford it.
View attachment 307289
Thank you for your feedback. And, I really like your truck. I may not know a lot about the older trucks but I do love the way they look.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
There have been 4x4s like that sell locally here for 20k in the laat year a guy currently has one listed on fb for 32k and with the price if trucks i don't think thats unreasonable. Its a beautiful truck and if i were in your shoes the family history would make it priceless to me.
Thanks for this. I do love the truck but the family connection and memories are the things that really make me want to keep it. I started looking at storage options etc... I spoke with my parents last night and am going to be able to keep it there, at least, through the winter. So, I'm going to hold off on selling it until I can really learn more about it. If I keep it, I want to make sure I can take care of it appropriately.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
OP, looking back over this thread I see a late model Ford Powerstroke pickup in the background. This tells me you know full well what dogs those old big block gasoline-powered trucks were.

After he big three began offering powerful and fuel-efficient turbo diesel trucks the old gas hogs became museum pieces.

It's time to pass grandpa's truck on to someone who appreciates it and can live with 7 or 8 mpg towing and 10 mpg empty.
Good catch. Yes, my daily driver is my 2012 powerstroke and there is a HUGE difference in power. But, if I keep the GMC, it's just to drive around on sunny days with the family and to pass down to my kids someday. And thank you for the link you provided above. I will check that out too. Every resource helps.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya that’s worth pretty good money especially with the little rust that’s on it. I’d assume you’d have people killing your door for a newer LS or diesel swap. Very nice truck I love those square bodies

woodgrinder

woodgrinder

Jul 31, 2021
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My first new truck was a 1974 chevy 3/4 ton with the 454 and th400 transmission, (we used to say tranny but that word means something else now). I raced it out at South Eubank regularly through high school. For most of that time there was never a truck that could beat me. I put an Isky cam set, headers wturbo mufflers and MSD ignition and B&M insides for the transmission. 4:10 rear end got me flat 16s in the 1/4. Hey! It only had about 270hp back then! At 5000 ft that wasn't bad. After my 3rd transmission and almost 100k miles I put a truck 4 speed in it. My neighbor bought it from me to tow heavy equipment. It would pass anything except a gas station! Great old trucks and yours is beautiful. Keep it it was grandpa's!

Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The truck is amazing to the right buyer it's worth what your GPA paid for it, if not more. It's a survivor. A guy local to me just sold a 4x4 square body that came from CA for $25,000, had original paint, 454, single cab long bed with camper shell/converted for camping. It was only for sale 3 days.

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Could list it on bringatrailer or clasiq as well. I’d keep it as long as possible.

The square body trucks (GM called them rounded line) are really exploding in value the past few years. I’ve been waiting for the inflated used and classic auto bubble to burst but it just keeps inflating.

FeelinRecless

FeelinRecless

Lifetime Member
Jun 7, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
Nice ride. If it were 4x4, I would want it. In all reality, depending on location, shape it is in, I would say you have a $10-12,000 truck. Those crew cabs are sought after.

TTaylor

TTaylor

Oct 26, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
That it is GREAT condition!!!... I'm with the others here when I say... Keep it! If you aren't in dire need of money right now, I would hang on to it. Of course, this is coming from someone that tries to keep everything... :)

Tbee

Tbee

Apr 13, 2018
DFW
Ownership

1. 500
Whatever you decide know this.
These trucks where bought up in droves by dealers in the 90's sold and shipped over to middle east. So there are not many still in the US as a result. I am not saying there aren't any but they are rare.

M

Madwrencher1

Nov 21, 2021
United states
Ownership

1. Big Red
20 years ago you couldn't give them away. Now, they're sought after. I have been driving my 79 454 since my father gave it to me in 2000. I just rebuilt the carb on a 86 460 dual cab ford that will be going up for sale. Not quite as good looking as yours but a comparable truck. When it sells I will let you know what he got. My daily driver...my advice...keep it. You'll never get another one of grandpa's trucks.
20211128 085721

v908

v908

Feb 14, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'd say it all depends on whether you can really keep it in good condition until the day you might actually use it much. If you lose storage and it's just going to sit outside and start getting sun/weather damage, I would sell it know while the value is high due to the market. If you think you can keep it in good condition and keep it (sentimental value or not), it's definitely a solid truck to consider keeping. It all depends on whether you can care for it or, in all honesty, you know deep down inside that you'll just be selling it in a few years after struggling to maintain it.

I have a '94 Ford F350 Crew Cab 4x4 that until a few years ago was probably worth $5,000 if I could find the right buyer. With the market surge lately I have turned down repeated offers for $10K, and recently saw two sell for $14,000 that weren't in as good condition as mine. The market is hot. If I wanted the money I would sell now rather than waiting for the market to cool.

But... I'll never sell this truck. They might have to bury me in it, haha.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is a beautiful truck! I would find some way to keep it. But if you sell it, someone is gonna get a gem.. That truck would make a great "update" project. Install EFI and a later model overdrive transmission and it would be a truck that you could actually use and enjoy. Not talking about making a daily driver, but just updating it with a few modern systems that would make it more practical. I have done this on some vehicles. Just enough "High tech" to fix the weak points of these trucks.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!