Anyone have knowledge on 1980's square body Chevy/GMC?

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Good afternoon,
I have a 1984 GMC Sierra Classic 2500 that was my grandfathers tow rig. My grandpa passed in 1992 but we have maintained the truck since then but really don't drive it much. Been kicking around the idea of selling it as I keep it in my parents garage and they are looking to sell their place. I held onto it as an heirloom and because of the awesome memories but now that I will be losing my free storage, I have considered selling it.
BUT... the more I look into it, the more confused I get. Basically, if it's "just another 1980s truck" I'm okay selling it to someone who will drive it and enjoy it. But, if it actually has some value beyond just the sentimental type, it might make sense for me to keep it and figure out a storage solution.
So, this is probably a long shot but can anyone give me some insight as to what I have or point me in a direction where I could get more info. I have no problem doing the research but because I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area, I'm not even sure where to find good information. I'll attach a few pics to this post. One of the pics is a closeup of a bit of rust. There are a few spots like this but that is the extent of it. Thank you for your assistance.
Mark
Driver Side
Passenger Side
Driver Front
Passenger front
Rust example
Interior
Interior from exterior
Odometer

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@CumminsPusher
Well, let me be the first to say THAT IS A BEAUTIFUL TRUCK!! So if ya thinking of selling it I'd maybe interested 😉

That being said, those older trucks are growing popularity every day. Being that you have history with it, I'd keep her!! If your not a truck guy, really attached to her or maybe plan on leaving it to one of your kids later on, then pass it on brother 👍

My 2 cents....
Good luck

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Good afternoon,
I have a 1984 GMC Sierra Classic 2500 that was my grandfathers tow rig. My grandpa passed in 1992 but we have maintained the truck since then but really don't drive it much. Been kicking around the idea of selling it as I keep it in my parents garage and they are looking to sell their place. I held onto it as an heirloom and because of the awesome memories but now that I will be losing my free storage, I have considered selling it.
BUT... the more I look into it, the more confused I get. Basically, if it's "just another 1980s truck" I'm okay selling it to someone who will drive it and enjoy it. But, if it actually has some value beyond just the sentimental type, it might make sense for me to keep it and figure out a storage solution.
So, this is probably a long shot but can anyone give me some insight as to what I have or point me in a direction where I could get more info. I have no problem doing the research but because I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area, I'm not even sure where to find good information. I'll attach a few pics to this post. One of the pics is a closeup of a bit of rust. There are a few spots like this but that is the extent of it. Thank you for your assistance.
MarkView attachment 307235View attachment 307236View attachment 307237View attachment 307238View attachment 307239View attachment 307240View attachment 307241View attachment 307242
I would think that's a pretty rare truck, especially for the shop it's in. Does the odometer show 67,000 miles? This could be a keeper!

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Well, let me be the first to say THAT IS A BEAUTIFUL TRUCK!! So if ya thinking of selling it I'd maybe interested 😉

That being said, those older trucks are growing popularity every day. Being that you have history with it, I'd keep her!! If your not a truck guy, really attached to her or maybe plan on leaving it to one of your kids later on, then pass it on brother 👍

My 2 cents....
Good luck
Much appreciated, thank you. Oh, I'm a truck guy. I just don't know enough about trucks from the 80's to do it justice. The truck is two years younger than me so my knowledge of trucks starts in the low to mid 1990's. I tried getting a hold of some of the local "classic car/truck" places near me and they really didn't give me the time of day. But then again, I'm' sure they get plenty of calls like that. I'm about 10 minutes from the volo auto museum and I considered just taking it over there but I'd like to have a little more knowledge before walking into a place like that.

I get attached to everything so initially, that was the most difficult part about considering putting it up for sale. But because I can't seem to find many comparable trucks, I'm starting to think it might be something worth hanging on to. I'm different than many of my peers. If they found it was valuable, it would drive them to sell it and take the money. For me, the value paired with the memories I have in that truck could cause me to create a storage solution :)

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I would think that's a pretty rare truck, especially for the shop it's in. Does the odometer show 67,000 miles? This could be a keeper!
Yep, 67,000 miles. Really, the only things that have been replaced on it are typical items like wiper blades, tires, brakes, etc... I even have the original order sheet from when my grandpa ordered it in october of 1983

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep, 67,000 miles. Really, the only things that have been replaced on it are typical items like wiper blades, tires, brakes, etc... I even have the original order sheet from when my grandpa ordered it in october of 1983
Just my opinions here but you could always find another truck but never find grandpa's truck again. That's priceless in my book

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
454 Cubic Inch. 4:10 Gears. I can't remember which trans is in it. It's a three speed though. Original build sheet belowView attachment 307243View attachment 307243
HA! Since your Grandfather ordered it for a tow rig I figured it had the 454, I've got a shop to store it in, if your going to really sell it let me know, I think you nuts for even considering selling it!

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
HA! Since your Grandfather ordered it for a two rig I figured it had the 454, I've got a shop to store it in, if your going to really sell it let me know, I think you nuts for even considering selling it!
And that is the bluntness that I needed to hear and appreciate... Maybe I should be spending more time looking for a place to store it rather than trying to find out it's monetary value...

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
An old school C20 😍

The trans would have to be a TH400. I'm with the other guys, DON'T SELL IT! But if you decide to I'll send you my number ;)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!