P1000 any one with a p1000 with a reverse issues

riverratcadillac

riverratcadillac

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2017
lafollette tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@riverratcadillac did you just replace the low reverse shifter or also the shift forks? What about bearings?o_O
View attachment 109634
Hears list of part numbers 3a6bea2ba50c4dc8e41cde6fdc19512e

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
yes mine did the same think there was a pop and then the edges were rounded off its a cheap fix only takes a few hours

Do you know why it happens and what keeps it from happening again ? Do i need any special tools ?

riverratcadillac

riverratcadillac

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2017
lafollette tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you know why it happens and what keeps it from happening again ? Do i need any special tools ?
just basic hand tools and a manual real simple front diff has to be unbolted to remove front drive shaft and the whole subtrans unbolts like a transfer case and honestly i believe mine was out of adjustment and just didnt know it everything lined up fine but teeth wernt engaged all the way

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gonna tear into it today. Will post my findings here.

Thanks for the info !!!

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
just basic hand tools and a manual real simple front diff has to be unbolted to remove front drive shaft and the whole subtrans unbolts like a transfer case and honestly i believe mine was out of adjustment and just didnt know it everything lined up fine but teeth wernt engaged all the way

Riverrat, the 2 images below seam to show some of the "DOUBLE RING COILS" in different locations on the shaft ?

No ring between high shifter and final drive on the (3and 9) microfich, no ring between low reverse shifter and reverse drive gear in ( 7 and 4) microfich.

Maybe I'm just seeing things but they look different to me . ????

Final drive
Final drive micro

riverratcadillac

riverratcadillac

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2017
lafollette tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Riverrat, the 2 images below seam to show some of the "DOUBLE RING COILS" in different locations on the shaft ?

No ring between high shifter and final drive on the (3and 9) microfich, no ring between low reverse shifter and reverse drive gear in ( 7 and 4) microfich.

Maybe I'm just seeing things but they look different to me . ????

View attachment 117754 View attachment 117755
that double ring is what holds the ball bearings

T

thefirstspackel

Apr 4, 2019
arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The reason this is happening is because reverse drive needs to sit higher(further up on the shaft). I am thinking of adding more washers before the reverse drive so that it full grabs the dog ears. Do not know if the case will fit if I do this.

Reactions: clifforeilly
clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The reason this is happening is because reverse drive needs to sit higher(further up on the shaft). I am thinking of adding more washers before the reverse drive so that it full grabs the dog ears. Do not know if the case will fit if I do this.

I was kind of wondering the same thing . Your thinking about adding where shown in this picture ?

Did you have this same issue ?

Added shim

T

thefirstspackel

Apr 4, 2019
arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Correct, extra washers to keep the reverse drive gear from falling deeper in the transmission. I did a mock-up without extra washers to be sure it would not interfere with some of the gears that are splind. No way of telling once the cover is on. At first I thought someone might have not installed a washer or had the wrong thickness on the first washer, but I believe that is the way they come from the factory. All I can say is that by only replacing the two reverse gears is that it will happen again. The shifting collar, where the shift forks ride, would also be able to correct the problem because it would set the gears further in making full contact. Which it does sit further in during initial assembly.

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Correct, extra washers to keep the reverse drive gear from falling deeper in the transmission. I did a mock-up without extra washers to be sure it would not interfere with some of the gears that are splind. No way of telling once the cover is on. At first I thought someone might have not installed a washer or had the wrong thickness on the first washer, but I believe that is the way they come from the factory. All I can say is that by only replacing the two reverse gears is that it will happen again. The shifting collar, where the shift forks ride, would also be able to correct the problem because it would set the gears further in making full contact. Which it does sit further in during initial assembly.

My parts are here and its getting put back together Saturday morning. I'll be thinking on it between now and then.

Reactions: thefirstspackel
clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

My thinking is if I add there will need to subtract somewhere else . Thinking about taking the second 29x43x1 washer and stacking it on the first. Only gain .040" but that's better than nothing. Find out tomorrow morning .

Leaning towards leaving it in the factory set up.

riverratcadillac

riverratcadillac

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2017
lafollette tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My thinking is if I add there will need to subtract somewhere else . Thinking about taking the second 29x43x1 washer and stacking it on the first. Only gain .040" but that's better than nothing. Find out tomorrow morning .

Leaning towards leaving it in the factory set up.
i may be thinking wrong but if you add shim to one side it gonna give less engagement on the other side

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the shift arm will still control low gear engagement if the # 2 washer is moved as shown.
Shim gear 2
Shim gear
Shim gear

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!