P1000 Any regrets from base model p1k owners?

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Test drove the non-eps. Steering resembled my 1926 Chevrolet armstrong steering. Then we test drove the eps. Would never leave home without it. Went on a 125 mile loop trip in Nevada desert. Damn glad I had the power steering. Don't even think of the non-eps. You'll hate yourself for saving a few bucks and then you'll install it later at a whopper of a price!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Test drove the non-eps. Steering resembled my 1926 Chevrolet armstrong steering. Then we test drove the eps. Would never leave home without it. Went on a 125 mile loop trip in Nevada desert. Damn glad I had the power steering. Don't even think of the non-eps. You'll hate yourself for saving a few bucks and then you'll install it later at a whopper of a price!
If you buy a base model, don't put your thumbs inside the steering wheel, while trail riding.

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The base model 3 seater was an anomaly to me, I don't know of anybody who'd want 1 of these. I've sold very few at either dealership I worked for.

My pick would be a EPS 3 seat or if you need the extra seating a base 5 seat.

Reasons:
1. The door panels are just going to get scratched to hell anyways. So buy the color fender and hood you want later if you cant stand the green or red. You can add on any color side panels later if you see fit as well.
2. LED headlights, can be purchased later for $400 (retail) Everybody puts lightbars everywhere anyways
3. Wheels, Everyone buys wheels and tires for their SXS and if wheels don't strike your fancy, someone will have a deluxe set for sale so you can upgrade to a 14 inch wheel. That's the only downfall to the base models for me 12 inch wheels.

I haven't gotten to play around in a I-4wd equipped model yet to see if that would strike my fancy or not. But that and the suspension are the only real things I can see that would make me upgrade to an LE. The bumper doesn't do anything for me, storage can be purchased later on if wanted and who cares about the painted suspension. Krylon can fix that.
I like my i4WD but hate that I can't get Rino Axles for it.

Currently we have both a 2018 EPS P1K-3 and LE P1K-5, I would not consider anything without Power Steering or Paddle Shifting on a large side by side.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I also highly recommend the power steering. I think you will be glad you did after a long day riding. And with carry over model you can get more for less. Mine is a 700 deluxe and I am glad I went and got the p/s and paddles. Like DG rider said I to have never heard anyone regret it. Also resale would better than basic model.

Reactions: Mudwing
Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
I'm going to be adding a P1k 3 seater to the stable shortly. Dealer has left over 2018 eps and base model non-eps versions in stock. I currently have a P500 that I will be keeping and of course that has manual steering. And I've owned some non-eps quads in my past.

I was hoping for opinions from any owners of these regarding power steering on the bigger machine, i.e. Does it make a drastic difference, etc. Honestly I feel I would miss the paddle shifters more than the power steering. Price difference between the 2 would probably be about $900. Not a ton of money but enough to cover new tires and wheels.

Thanks fellas
Test drive both eps and non eps models the dealer has in stock. You’ll answer the question yourself. I think you’ll be going home with the eps machine. ;)

I

IttyBittyFitty

Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm leaning towards getting the EPS...think I really would miss the paddles, and my tiny wife will also be driving on occasion and she isn't exactly physically strong. We've been rolling around just find on the P500 and no EPS but that is smaller and lighter.

I still have to get with dealer on final prices but most likely it will be the EPS.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm leaning towards getting the EPS...think I really would miss the paddles, and my tiny wife will also be driving on occasion and she isn't exactly physically strong. We've been rolling around just find on the P500 and no EPS but that is smaller and lighter.

I still have to get with dealer on final prices but most likely it will be the EPS.

What dealership are you using?

I

IttyBittyFitty

Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Not positi
What dealership are you using?
Not positive, but probably a Honda dealer that I have bought from in Elizabethtown, KY. In my experience, I've been able to get much better deals outside of MI. So much so that it is worth the drive.

Reactions: TimG
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Not positi
Not positive, but probably a Honda dealer that I have bought from in Elizabethtown, KY. In my experience, I've been able to get much better deals outside of MI. So much so that it is worth the drive.

Thanks @IttyBittyFitty. The dealers I went to around me were all assholes. Might have to make a road trip :cool:

I

IttyBittyFitty

Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Brought home this 2019 deluxe yesterday!

20190126 100938

I

IttyBittyFitty

Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yeah I could have gotten a red or yellow 2018 for quite a bit less but just personal preference the black on black looks so much better.

Reactions: Mopower58
I

IttyBittyFitty

Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Wish I had seen this a little sooner... I’m about 45 miles from Dan’s...

I didn't get this one from Dans actually, not sure what their deal was but prices were high there this time around.

Reactions: JTW
I

IttyBittyFitty

Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Did you check the place in Bardstown? Ky Gun Co/ Ky Power sports?

I did not. Never heard of them. I'll add them to the list to check out for the next purchase.

Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!