P1000 Any regrets from base model p1k owners?

I

IttyBittyFitty

Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'm going to be adding a P1k 3 seater to the stable shortly. Dealer has left over 2018 eps and base model non-eps versions in stock. I currently have a P500 that I will be keeping and of course that has manual steering. And I've owned some non-eps quads in my past.

I was hoping for opinions from any owners of these regarding power steering on the bigger machine, i.e. Does it make a drastic difference, etc. Honestly I feel I would miss the paddle shifters more than the power steering. Price difference between the 2 would probably be about $900. Not a ton of money but enough to cover new tires and wheels.

Thanks fellas

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A friend bought a non eps machine and was very happy with it until...….. he drove mine with eps.

I have had ATV's since the early 80's and thought that eps was just another gimmick until I drove one.

I'll never have a rig without eps again.
You can add everything else to your need in a build your own but eps from the factory is the only way to go.

By the way, my friend was very lucky and found someone else to buy his machine and now is in heaven with his eps model.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm going to be adding a P1k 3 seater to the stable shortly. Dealer has left over 2018 eps and base model non-eps versions in stock. I currently have a P500 that I will be keeping and of course that has manual steering. And I've owned some non-eps quads in my past.

I was hoping for opinions from any owners of these regarding power steering on the bigger machine, i.e. Does it make a drastic difference, etc. Honestly I feel I would miss the paddle shifters more than the power steering. Price difference between the 2 would probably be about $900. Not a ton of money but enough to cover new tires and wheels.

Thanks fellas
Dad has a Rincon that he put EPS on, made it a lot safer, no more getting the handle bars ripped out of your hands, when hitting something. So I think the safety issue is worth the $ 900.00

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
A friend bought a non eps machine and was very happy with it until...….. he drove mine with eps.

I have had ATV's since the early 80's and thought that eps was just another gimmick until I drove one.

I'll never have a rig without eps again.
You can add everything else to your need in a build your own but eps from the factory is the only way to go.

By the way, my friend was very lucky and found someone else to buy his machine and now is in heaven with his eps model.
Your friend sounds hot...

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you do any trail riding the paddle shifters are a must in my opinion. You'll find that the Pioneer likes to search for the right gear going up hills in automatic mode. The ability to tell the transmission where you want to be when you're in the hills are pulling somethin is really nice.

Power steering is in my opinion a personal preference. I would tell you to try to turn the wheel at a standstill in both a power steering and non-power steering model. The other thing that I would keep in mind is that 99% of people that are buying a Pioneer 1000 are going to want power steering. If you ever go to get rid of the vehicle on the back end, it seems like a non EPS model would really limit your potential buying audience. Most of the people buying a side-by-side enjoy a few creature comforts.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I'm thinking of getting something new and looked at the P1000 for the reasons mentioned. Personally, I think it's worth the extra money to get EPS and paddle shifting (ability to select gears, especially when it gets technical and that is going to happen in many different woods/trail situations vs. gravel road/blacktop riding in a neighborhood).

H

HondaTech

The base model 3 seater was an anomaly to me, I don't know of anybody who'd want 1 of these. I've sold very few at either dealership I worked for.

My pick would be a EPS 3 seat or if you need the extra seating a base 5 seat.

Reasons:
1. The door panels are just going to get scratched to hell anyways. So buy the color fender and hood you want later if you cant stand the green or red. You can add on any color side panels later if you see fit as well.
2. LED headlights, can be purchased later for $400 (retail) Everybody puts lightbars everywhere anyways
3. Wheels, Everyone buys wheels and tires for their SXS and if wheels don't strike your fancy, someone will have a deluxe set for sale so you can upgrade to a 14 inch wheel. That's the only downfall to the base models for me 12 inch wheels.

I haven't gotten to play around in a I-4wd equipped model yet to see if that would strike my fancy or not. But that and the suspension are the only real things I can see that would make me upgrade to an LE. The bumper doesn't do anything for me, storage can be purchased later on if wanted and who cares about the painted suspension. Krylon can fix that.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
How many people do you know who get a machine with EPS and later said they wished they hadn't?

I've never had EPS...and don't know that i have to have it, but for the price and the paddle shifters, i see no reason not to get it.

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a base model 1000-5, as far as I know all of the 5’s come with the eps and paddle shifters. I can’t comment on running without eps, but I honestly couldn’t care less about the paddle shifters. I almost never touch them.

Reactions: Bad_bowtie
H

HondaTech

I bought a base model 1000-5, as far as I know all of the 5’s come with the eps and paddle shifters. I can’t comment on running without eps, but I honestly couldn’t care less about the paddle shifters. I almost never touch them.

All 5 seater P1K comes with EPS, only the base model 3 seaters dont have it.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I agree with the nonuse of the paddle shifters, but I do use them on down hills, I'm too lazy to use the brakes, HA! Usually got the hammer down on up hills! And that's going to change? HA! Well it needs to! I have a friend of mine get hurt really badly this week end in a Kawasaki Mule? And will never be the same, if he lives. These things can kill you!

Reactions: elkguide
H

HondaTech

I agree with the nonuse of the paddle shifters, but I do use them on down hills, I'm too lazy to use the brakes, HA! Usually got the hammer down on up hills! And that's going to change? HA! Well it needs to! I have a friend of mine get hurt really badly this week end in a Kawasaki Mule? And will never be the same, if he lives. These things can kill you!

Hope your friend is ok.

Kawasaki Mules are the worst SXS for safety IMO, no doors(except on the Pro models) side nets, or seat belt limiters. I guess the top speed keeps Kawasaki from having to include these things.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hope your friend is ok.

Kawasaki Mules are the worst SXS for safety IMO, no doors(except on the Pro models) side nets, or seat belt limiters. I guess the top speed keeps Kawasaki from having to include these things.
Andy Macis is his name, great guy! Thank you for your concern! If he lives, he will have some big obstacles to over come. Really sad! Thank You!

Reactions: Chadwick1968
TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We bought a new JD Gator a couple years ago. We didn’t get the power steering, it’s a work rig on the farm. Who needs it? About a month later our local JD dealer came out with their new harvester for us to try. The parts guy had a Gator on the trailer he uses to putt around for these demos. We drove it once from the field back to the shop. They took our Gator that day. We traded it in for the power steering and electronic dump bed. Them JD salesmen are good!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hope your friend is ok.

I guess, top speed can exceed speed limits when coming off a mountain

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!