anybody towing their SXS's with a Class A gasser?

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Casually thinking about my next RV move. Currently have a 24' BP TH which is cool but want more room. Appears to be two options that may work - 5er TH or Motor home plus trailer. I know all about the 5er option but not sure about the motor home deal. The way we camp, I think a motor home would be great plus traveling with a small child it adds a lot of benefits. SO my question is - how would a Class A gas tow a couple of SXS's ( enclosed or flatbed trailer ) approx 5000#'s?

Reactions: sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
pretty good chance you will never know they are back there. Keep an eye on towing capacity of used rigs. I think some are only rated at 5,000 lbs. tandem trailer and 2 machines and you will be awful close to limit.

You will be driving a giant brick on the highway, so open or enclosed trailer behind you will hardly be noticeable. Look into super c rvs as well. Some had duramax engines in them.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Check the tow rating close I towed my P5, 800 Ranger, and 300EX four wheeler in a enclosed trailer with a Ford V10 and it was way to under powered!!!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Casually thinking about my next RV move. Currently have a 24' BP TH which is cool but want more room. Appears to be two options that may work - 5er TH or Motor home plus trailer. I know all about the 5er option but not sure about the motor home deal. The way we camp, I think a motor home would be great plus traveling with a small child it adds a lot of benefits. SO my question is - how would a Class A gas tow a couple of SXS's ( enclosed or flatbed trailer ) approx 5000#'s?
You may want to look at some of the diesel super C motorhomes, they can tow 20K and are built off Freightliner M2 chassis, they are not much different than Class A size wise inside.

After going the big toyhauler / pickup route the past 8 years, I believe the motorhome with a jeep & SXS in enclosed trailer is the way to go. Just my humble opinion, much easier to keep family entertained on the go in motorhome.

This model with bunk beds is great for families,

New 2018 Dynamax Corp Force

Here is another version

DX3 Class C Motorhomes by Dynamax

Last edited:
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You may want to look at some of the diesel super C motorhomes, they can tow 20K and are built off Freightliner M2 chassis, they are not much different than Class A size wise inside.

After going the big toyhauler / pickup route the past 8 years, I believe the motorhome with a jeep & SXS in enclosed trailer is the way to go. Just my humble opinion, much easier to keep family entertained on the go in motorhome.

This model with bunk beds is great for families,

New 2018 Dynamax Corp Force

Agreed with everything he says. We’ve wanted a motor home for awhile. I think my wife has now decided she wants a pool more than that though. Looks like the toyhauler and truck is in my foreseeable future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW and sharp
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
you can get buy with a gasser as long as you aren't in a big hurry and stay out of the mountains for fuel consumption reasons. I went with a Class A diesel pusher but I got a smoking deal!

Reactions: sharp and nbomar
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have had a Halmark on an M2 chassis and that thing was a beast. I now have a Thor Super C on an F550 chassis. It is very nice but I have had enough changes in my life in the last 24 months that I don't have time to use it. It just sits in the covered storage building.

Will likely sell it soon.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had a Halmark on an M2 chassis and that thing was a beast. I now have a Thor Super C on an F550 chassis. It is very nice but I have had enough changes in my life in the last 24 months that I don't have time to use it. It just sits in the covered storage building.

Will likely sell it soon.

I'll take it out and make sure it gets used.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Image 1
No problems with my V10 but it's the new 6 speed tranny.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!