DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I threw in a Viper (motoalliance) 3000lb winch and mount kit with the 500 when i bought it. Picked it up today and started the install tonight.

Unless im totally missing something, The mount forces you to run the cable in reverse rotation from normal (as delivered), OR pull the cable sharply down right after the fairlead (syn cable, FYI). I think I have been told that this is OK (reversing the cable), but im coming up with mixed results on the web.

People talking about the brake only working in one direction, but I am thinking these small ones don't have a "brake" as such and simply rely on the low gearing to hold? One person stated flatly that running it backwards would "destroy" a winch, but i don't see how or why it would care.

Input?

I had never seen one before, but I don't like this mount. I had hoped it put the winch up in front of the rad like others, but that isn't the case. It's low like a KFI on the 700, except the winch end is somewhat exposed on the passenger side, and will probably get smoked at some point.
Documentation is about as vague as you could give and still claim to be providing it, with no real good pics of the winch installed. And the way it mounts is very cheesy.

I had hoped to make winching a one stop affair here (and had ask for a kfi mount, but...), but i'm going to have to spring for a KFI in the future, and hope that i don't break the winch on a rock before then. Oh well...

Don't but this mount.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I threw in a Viper (motoalliance) 3000lb winch and mount kit with the 500 when i bought it. Picked it up today and started the install tonight.

Unless im totally missing something, The mount forces you to run the cable in reverse rotation from normal (as delivered), OR pull the cable sharply down right after the fairlead (syn cable, FYI). I think I have been told that this is OK (reversing the cable), but im coming up with mixed results on the web.

People talking about the brake only working in one direction, but I am thinking these small ones don't have a "brake" as such and simply rely on the low gearing to hold? One person stated flatly that running it backwards would "destroy" a winch, but i don't see how or why it would care.

Input?

I had never seen one before, but I don't like this mount. I had hoped it put the winch up in front of the rad like others, but that isn't the case. It's low like a KFI on the 700, except the winch end is somewhat exposed on the passenger side, and will probably get smoked at some point.
Documentation is about as vague as you could give and still claim to be providing it, with no real good pics of the winch installed. And the way it mounts is very cheesy.

I had hoped to make winching a one stop affair here (and had ask for a kfi mount, but...), but i'm going to have to spring for a KFI in the future, and hope that i don't break the winch on a rock before then. Oh well...

Don't but this mount.

The kfi mount for the 1000 does the same. I don’t like it I’m making a better one after takeover.

I have (2)4500 Viper and the front hasn’t had any issues in 15 months and it gets used often around the homestead and occasionally on the trails. The rear gets used but it’s in the normal arrangement and I can’t tell any difference in functionality.

I got a trailer with a small boulder (500lbs) stuck in a soggy low spot (trailer was sitting frame on mud) and Pioneer was just digging in. I double lined the front on the first layer and I was dragging my wife’s explorer and my 1500 Z71 Crew backwards.

I haven’t opened it up to be able to tell you what the brake is, I am assuming the low gearing.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The kfi mount for the 1000 does the same. I don’t like it I’m making a better one after takeover.

I have (2)4500 Viper and the front hasn’t had any issues in 15 months and it gets used often around the homestead and occasionally on the trails. The rear gets used but it’s in the normal arrangement and I can’t tell any difference in functionality.

I got a trailer with a small boulder (500lbs) stuck in a soggy low spot (trailer was sitting frame on mud) and Pioneer was just digging in. I double lined the front on the first layer and I was dragging my wife’s explorer and my 1500 Z71 Crew backwards.

I haven’t opened it up to be able to tell you what the brake is, I am assuming the low gearing.
So yours are winching backwards?

It's really stupid how it was done. Instead of just mounting it upside down completely, it actually faces the mounting bolts facing toward the engine (mount surface is vertical). So letting it pull in the "bottom" would now constantly pull sharply down on the fairlead while coming in. Simply drilling 4 holes would have fixed this...and maybe I'll do that.

I intend to call MotoA tomorrow and ask them if its OK. If they say no, then I'm going to contact the dealer and tell them to replace this thing with a KFI or something.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
OK...solved this with some help from the FB page and it should have been obvious.

Instructions say specifically to put the motor on the passenger side of the machine. Maybe china has right-hand drive pioneers, but here in the states, put it on the drivers side and everything will be perfect. So busy following instructions, i didn't bother to wonder if i should.

At least now i can look out my side and see what i am about to smash my winch on!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chooglin
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!