P500 are 10's too wide for the front

F

florida500

Apr 17, 2020
st augustine fl
Ownership

1. 500
I have been making myself crazy looking at everyones tire/wheel combos. I ride in Central florida so lot of sandy trails and dirt, with occasional mud (although I avoid the deep stuff) No rock crawling etc. Have had lots of suggestions, but one I was looking at are the Deestone Swamp witches...issue is they only come in 8,10 and 12 inch wide. I am going to go with 27s...so normally I wanted to do 9's in the front and 11's in the back. I can't decide if I should go 8 in front and 10 in the back...or 10 in front and 12 in the back. I am worried that since i don't have power steering it will be a pain to turn with the wider front tires. Not sure if wider tires will actually be worse in the sand and rob too much power.

Anyone want to chime in on this..and any suggestions if that is the right kind of tire, or if there is one you like better for that terrain. I am new to the wheel and tire thing and have spent the last two days reading everything possible..saw one video with a test where the AMS Slingshot XT did the best.

I appreciate any advise!!

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
I have had both 10’s and 11’s on all 4 corners with no issue with either. No power steering for most of the time with the 10’s and no problem steering.

Pic of Rip Saws in 10 inch
EBB3633F DE5F 4CE8 949E DCC8B7F01001

Pic of BH 2.0’s in 11inch
A61FE7D6 F99D 4677 9F43 FDDE8F6A5BD6

F

florida500

Apr 17, 2020
st augustine fl
Ownership

1. 500
I have had both 10’s and 11’s on all 4 corners with no issue with either. No power steering for most of the time with the 10’s and no problem steering.

Pic of Rip Saws in 10 inch
View attachment 198815
Pic of BH 2.0’s in 11inch
View attachment 198818
Thanks for the quick response...I bought some 10's for the front and 12's in the back..should be interesting!! AT least the tires are not that expensive, so if it is too much I can always put smaller tires on the rims - the rims are 7 wide in the front and 8 in the rear so could go much narrower and just change out these tires if I don't like them.

Reactions: Mudwing
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the quick response...I bought some 10's for the front and 12's in the back..should be interesting!! AT least the tires are not that expensive, so if it is too much I can always put smaller tires on the rims - the rims are 7 wide in the front and 8 in the rear so could go much narrower and just change out these tires if I don't like them.

1" spacers on all four wouldn't be a bad idea. ;)

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have been making myself crazy looking at everyones tire/wheel combos. I ride in Central florida so lot of sandy trails and dirt, with occasional mud (although I avoid the deep stuff) No rock crawling etc. Have had lots of suggestions, but one I was looking at are the Deestone Swamp witches...issue is they only come in 8,10 and 12 inch wide. I am going to go with 27s...so normally I wanted to do 9's in the front and 11's in the back. I can't decide if I should go 8 in front and 10 in the back...or 10 in front and 12 in the back. I am worried that since i don't have power steering it will be a pain to turn with the wider front tires. Not sure if wider tires will actually be worse in the sand and rob too much power.

Anyone want to chime in on this..and any suggestions if that is the right kind of tire, or if there is one you like better for that terrain. I am new to the wheel and tire thing and have spent the last two days reading everything possible..saw one video with a test where the AMS Slingshot XT did the best.

I appreciate any advise!!
Im not sure at what point in going up in tire size they start rubbing. Im guessing 27s probably dont rub. I had 30x10x14 Monster Mayhems on mine, did the frame mod, and no rubbing at all from lock to lock. I didnt have stock wheels. Im kinda OCD, and having different offset wheels and wider tires on the back would have kept me up tossing and turning at night. I think my wheels were 4/3 offset 14x7s. I dont really recall having much power loss in the Ocala National Forest trails. I usually crept around mud holes with it though and didnt do much forest riding. Not familiar with the tire you are wanting to get. I think little 27" tires is a popular size with the P5 crowd on here so Im sure if you used the search feature on this site and typed in '27" tire rub' or something along those lines you might run across a thread where people are talking about your same setup youre wanting to do. I hope this helps. Whatever you do, post pics!!! Good luck to you!

Screenshot 20200425 065636 Gallery Screenshot 20200425 065651 Gallery

F

florida500

Apr 17, 2020
st augustine fl
Ownership

1. 500
Im not sure at what point in going up in tire size they start rubbing. Im guessing 27s probably dont rub. I had 30x10x14 Monster Mayhems on mine, did the frame mod, and no rubbing at all from lock to lock. I didnt have stock wheels. Im kinda OCD, and having different offset wheels and wider tires on the back would have kept me up tossing and turning at night. I think my wheels were 4/3 offset 14x7s. I dont really recall having much power loss in the Ocala National Forest trails. I usually crept around mud holes with it though and didnt do much forest riding. Not familiar with the tire you are wanting to get. I think little 27" tires is a popular size with the P5 crowd on here so Im sure if you used the search feature on this site and typed in '27" tire rub' or something along those lines you might run across a thread where people are talking about your same setup youre wanting to do. I hope this helps. Whatever you do, post pics!!! Good luck to you!

View attachment 199107 View attachment 199108
Great looking P500....I have wheels similar to yours coming. Mine are blue as is my P500...also your tread pattern looks similar to what I bought. I did search a lot and couldn't find anyone running the swamp witches...I will try to upload a picture when I get it.

I noticed you are running a windshield..I have avoided it as it gets hot as hell in Florida, but sure wouldn't mind something to keep some of the dust and bugs off of my helmet if it were to vent air through. I appreciate your thoughts on power loss, that is my main concern. Both my front and rear wheels are 4+3 so I expect no rubbing issues with the 27's. The 30's looks awesome on yours!!

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Great looking P500....I have wheels similar to yours coming. Mine are blue as is my P500...also your tread pattern looks similar to what I bought. I did search a lot and couldn't find anyone running the swamp witches...I will try to upload a picture when I get it.

I noticed you are running a windshield..I have avoided it as it gets hot as hell in Florida, but sure wouldn't mind something to keep some of the dust and bugs off of my helmet if it were to vent air through. I appreciate your thoughts on power loss, that is my main concern. Both my front and rear wheels are 4+3 so I expect no rubbing issues with the 27's. The 30's looks awesome on yours!!
Thank you for the kind words. Cant wait to see what you come up with. Im in Orange Heights, Fl. by the way. Post pics when you can!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Good looking buggyI I've heard if you add a little Miracle Grow to gas every time you top off the gas on a P5, over time it'll turn into a P1! HA! 🤪

stnbenn2001

stnbenn2001

Jul 23, 2020
Lake Placid Fl.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!