P500 How wide is too wide?

Wisdumb

Wisdumb

Jul 23, 2020
Independence, KY
Ownership

1. 500
So I replaced my ITP steel wheels and Bighorn 2.0s with some ITP SD bead locks (5+2) with Sedona Mud Rebel RTs (26x9-12 front 26x11-12 rear) and the RB3 wide track kit. The P5 is about 57'' wide in the rear and about 55.5'' wide in the front now. I'm looking to make it as wide as possible for stability without putting too much stress on the machine or pushing it wider than I should for steering or other reasons I may not be aware of. It drives fine as is but I have only been putting around on my property so far.

Is anyone else running a setup that is this wide? If so, have you run into any issues with steering or stressing components too much?

Thanks,
Wis

Reactions: Isaiah
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put 2" spacers all around on mine. Stock rims/tires. I've done a week trip to RRB since and it checked out fine when I got home. The stability against tip over is worth any premature parts wear imho. I can also take them off if it limits me on more width restricted stuff at some point.

Wisdumb

Wisdumb

Jul 23, 2020
Independence, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I put 2" spacers all around on mine. Stock rims/tires. I've done a week trip to RRB since and it checked out fine when I got home. The stability against tip over is worth any premature parts wear imho. I can also take them off if it limits me on more width restricted stuff at some point.
I agree about the tradeoff, I would rather replace some parts early than tip it over.
You're the man @JeremieBaker. Always around to help answer questions. :cool:

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree about the tradeoff, I would rather replace some parts early than tip it over.
The man...I don't know about that but Thanks! I'm happy to try to help where I can.
Always around...that part I won't try to deny. lmao

559Pioneer500

Aug 12, 2020
Clovis, CA
Ownership

1. 500
What parts would wear faster? I’m looking to do my tire and wheels soon.

Wisdumb

Wisdumb

Jul 23, 2020
Independence, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I would think wheel bearings, tie rods, and a arms would all experience more stress the further out from the stock width they are.

Wisdumb

Wisdumb

Jul 23, 2020
Independence, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Some drive train components will probably wear slightly faster too because of how much heavier bigger tires are and any distance away from the stock width will contribute. Increased weight and stress will put more wear on axle shafts, CV joints, brakes, drivetrain, transmission. But it is all negligible from my perspective. My P5 is 57'' wide in the rear so I'll just report back when something blows.

Reactions: Mudder
S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
These things are a lot tougher than half ton trucks with offset rims.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Watch a WhistlinDiesel video where he destroys a $150k F350 in a couple hours and you will feel just fine about whatever you are doing to your P5.

Here ya go:
And I thought farmers were poor?

Reactions: Isaiah
JWard03

JWard03

May 20, 2019
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
I'm at 57" wide and I love it. All the width comes from the wheel backspacing and tire width. I don't ride any 50" trails though.
IMG 2130

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!