P500 ATV Silencer BT-500 Honda Pioneer 500 (15-18)

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I just ordered one for mine, direct from Silent Rider. Won't be able to install or ride for a couple weeks.....dang work anyway.... I'll give my thoughts after installation. I was thinking about it this weekend, I had my wife take db readings when we were wide open down the road...bouncing off the rev limiter occasionally... readings with a phone app put it at 85 decibels, I'll do another reading after the install.

Reactions: RumpRocket
Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
A couple rides with my new Silent Rider on, but it does reduce power a little bit. The only way I noticed it is on a long flat gravel road, pushed gas pedal all the way down, it took longer to reach near top speed, stayed at 40mph. for a while, it was nice not having the annoying engine limiter kick it. After several hundred more feet, the limiter finally kicked in at 41mph. It's not enough of a power reduction to bother me at all, nice being more quiet, probably reduces power more on the higher revs than the lower ones. Was kind of surprised in the silencer instructions, it says... "REMOVE SILENCER IF using engine under heavy loads for an extended period" That makes sense, glad I always run light. Install was not real easy, getting silencer to go into stock muffler was tough, says to 'tap with rubber mallet, may be some twisting involved' You can't twist with the hangar brackets attached loosely, I had to file both the stock & silencer inlets some, then use a full metal hammer with block of wood between hammer & back of silencer inlet, and bang pretty hard about 10 to 12 times to get it properly seated fully into the stock muffler, but it's a tight fit as it should be, then I tightened the hanger brackets. And after installing it, I stood back and it looked nice, like it was always meant to be there, if I took it off it now, would look like a missing part to me. It's more quiet at idle & lower speeds, at full throttle it was almost as loud as stock but with a more smooth mellow tone. Moving my carb intake through dust collection hose to top of roll cage with foam filter on end made it more quiet, now adding the silencer made it double more quiet, now about half way to the sound of an electric P-500.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So...i've been meaning to ask this...but why has this raised so much interest? I can see it for hunters, but...
Do you think the 500 is too loud?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
So...i've been meaning to ask this...but why has this raised so much interest? I can see it for hunters, but...
YES, seems way too loud for what it is, especially from Honda, I expected better from them.

Edit: I keep earmuffs in mine for my wife & I, keep this in mind, in a work environment OSHA requires hearing protection for anything above 80db.... mine measures 85db at wide open but I really think it's louder than that, using a phone app isn't the most accurate. db's are measured on a curve, 85db's is 5 times louder than 80db's......too loud!!!!

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
YES, seems way too loud for what it is, especially from Honda, I expected better from them
Have you owned another SxS?
Are we talking exhaust noise or just general cab noise?

Mine was actually quieter than i expected it to be in the cab. Honestly seems quieter than my old 700-4, but i suspect the full roof on those 4's is a big factor. The exhaust has a bit of old 250X/300EX throwback, which is kinda cool. The #1 loud thing on either to me was that rear end. That was definitely not what i would expect from a Honda.

Reactions: JWB
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Have you owned another SxS?
Are we talking exhaust noise or just general cab noise?

Mine was actually quieter than i expected it to be in the cab. Honestly seems quieter than my old 700-4, but i suspect the full roof on those 4's is a big factor. The exhaust has a bit of old 250X/300EX throwback, which is kinda cool. The #1 loud thing on either to me was that rear end. That was definitely not what i would expect from a Honda.

Yes, had a Rhino and a AC Prowler, the Prowler was horrible in more ways than just noise, Rhino was loud but I'm not sure it was worse than the P5. I understand they are noisy regardless but, like I said, I expected better from Honda. Plus I'm getting older......close to gurmpy old guy, although my says I'm already there ;)

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes, had a Rhino and a AC Prowler, the Prowler was horrible in more ways than just noise, Rhino was loud but I'm not sure it was worse than the P5. I understand they are noisy regardless but, like I said, I expected better from Honda. Plus I'm getting older......close to gurmpy old guy, although my says I'm already there ;)
Louder than a Rhino? Wow...

Maybe I'm just going death from riding in loud SxS's...

R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500
A couple rides with my new Silent Rider on, but it does reduce power a little bit. The only way I noticed it is on a long flat gravel road, pushed gas pedal all the way down, it took longer to reach near top speed, stayed at 40mph. for a while, it was nice not having the annoying engine limiter kick it. After several hundred more feet, the limiter finally kicked in at 41mph. It's not enough of a power reduction to bother me at all, nice being more quiet, probably reduces power more on the higher revs than the lower ones. Was kind of surprised in the silencer instructions, it says... "REMOVE SILENCER IF using engine under heavy loads for an extended period" That makes sense, glad I always run light. Install was not real easy, getting silencer to go into stock muffler was tough, says to 'tap with rubber mallet, may be some twisting involved' You can't twist with the hangar brackets attached loosely, I had to file both the stock & silencer inlets some, then use a full metal hammer with block of wood between hammer & back of silencer inlet, and bang pretty hard about 10 to 12 times to get it properly seated fully into the stock muffler, but it's a tight fit as it should be, then I tightened the hanger brackets. And after installing it, I stood back and it looked nice, like it was always meant to be there, if I took it off it now, would look like a missing part to me. It's more quiet at idle & lower speeds, at full throttle it was almost as loud as stock but with a more smooth mellow tone. Moving my carb intake through dust collection hose to top of roll cage with foam filter on end made it more quiet, now adding the silencer made it double more quiet, now about half way to the sound of an electric P-500.
What elevation did you order, if you don't mind me asking?

R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500
Not at all, thanks for asking. My riding area is around 1,500 foot elevation, so I ordered the silencer for 0 to 6,000 feet.
Same one I ordered, mine wont be in until Thursday. Thanks for the fast reply

Reactions: Arizona
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Louder than a Rhino? Wow...

Maybe I'm just going death from riding in loud SxS's...

Keep in mind, I'm comparing to running the P5 at full chap whereas with the Rhino....or any rubber band type UTV you have to rev motor to get it to go, I can run around in the tight stuff and the P5 is quiet...that I like but UP here there are several trails that are wide open and it's quite easy to run at 30 mph plus, that's where the noise starts to irritate me & the boss...aka the Wife.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Keep in mind, I'm comparing to running the P5 at full chap whereas with the Rhino....or any rubber band type UTV you have to rev motor to get it to go, I can run around in the tight stuff and the P5 is quiet...that I like but UP here there are several trails that are wide open and it's quite easy to run at 30 mph plus, that's where the noise starts to irritate me & the boss...aka the Wife.
I was about to put forth the opinion that maybe it's the way i ride the 500 that makes it seem quiet for me. I like to short shift and just thump along.

I just didn't want anything interfering with the 105 db of stereo. :D
You and your gangsta rap...

Reactions: 906UP and trigger
A

AMB

Oct 16, 2017
Alabama
Ownership

1. 500

I am a hunter and I bought one after riding my brothers 4 wheeler that had one installed. I knew something was definitely different and inquired about it when I got back to camp. After acquiring my 500, it was one of my first purchases and I’ve had several comments on how quiet it is. I just try and pass on info about a good product. Everything that I’ve installed on my 500 was because of researching this forum. I’m fixing to add a glove box to it.

R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500
I'd like to add one noticeable difference...We own an American Bulldog prior to installing this muffler I could not get her to go for a ride with me, now she's ready to jump in before the door is even open. I must admit it is quieter and that's without the hearing aids...she must think so too.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I got it installed on the Donkey, at low rpms/speeds the difference is about 10 db, that's substantial! At higher rpms....aka wide open in 5th.... not so much but I think it's the gears making the noise now vs the exhaust. I did see a noticeable difference in power at high rpms, before it would hit 42 mph easily on a flat run, now it's done at 39 mph. Plan on more testing, longer ride tomorrow

Reactions: RumpRocket
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If someone else is looking for one I'm not keeping it, look in the buy/sell o_O

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!