P1000 Bad accident

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Was coming back from driving around with my Dad looking for fish. Came across a really bad SxS accident. Single vehicle rollover passengers ejected. It was an older rhino with the small half doors. Long story short, assisted as best as I could with the ppl that were already on scene. Helicopter came and air lifted her. From what I saw the young lady very well may lose her arm.

Wear your safety gear, drive safe and the window nets are going back on my P1K before taking it out again.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's so sad to hear! I've seen a couple bad ones and people have to respect these. I hope they will be ok!! I'm glad you were there to assist however you could it's nice that some people go out of thier way.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Was coming back from driving around with my Dad looking for fish. Came across a really bad SxS accident. Single vehicle rollover passengers ejected. It was an older rhino with the small half doors. Long story short, assisted as best as I could with the ppl that were already on scene. Helicopter came and air lifted her. From what I saw the young lady very well may lose her arm.

Wear your safety gear, drive safe and the window nets are going back on my P1K before taking it out again.
I removed the front nets from mine last weekend, and my wife did not like it! She felt it was too open, and stated she didn't feel safe. Although, I did like the added freedom of NO nets, I understand why they are there. Needless to say, they are back on.
It is no secret that I drive very aggressively every time I'm behind the wheel. Supported by my frequent comment of "Drive it like you stole it". And I know this is confrontatial to some, but... Buckle Up EVERYTIME. SXS's can flip doing 1 mph as well as at full acceleration. @Jediwrathchild, I'm glad you were there to help those in the accident, and that you shared your experience with all of us here. It might just save someone from a similar experience.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I notice that most of the pictures of other P1Ks show that the nets have been removed. We also have removed ours. We both like the open feeling but my wife noted that she is getting slapped by branches on tight trails now and doesn't like that. This post has made me reconsider the decision to remove them. Last week standing in line at the Walmart pharmacy I listened to a 25 year old explain the bandages on his left hand and forearm. He had tipped over in his SXS and the gravel scrubbed most of the hyde off his arm. Considering his age I just assumed he was careless and riding over his head but this can happen to anyone. I wonder if using a four point seat belt harness would keep you inside the cage or if your limbs would still be at risk. I think we are going to put the front nets back on and start using the seat belts every time we get in it. After a lifetime of riding dirt bikes it seems like overkill but falling with a 225# dirt bike really isn't the same as having a 2000# SXS roll over you.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
As long as everyone is belted and holding on correctly for the conditions you should be fine without. Sometimes through just putting or following kids I may not always be belted but usually and always for our night rides, technical,and anything over about 20. I require EVERYONE ELSE to wear them no matter what! And anytime at speeds or technical I ask them to hold on to the grab handles. If you were to tip your arms would be inside the vehicle at least when it hit which is good. I think the nets are a good idea and safer but I do think it will give some a false sense of security. It's still safer to wear belts without nets then the other way i just can't stand them but that's me

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I took the nets off the front. They were just too floppy and they were rubbing a place on my arm and slapping me in the face.

We have left the rear ones on though. When my wife rides back there, she doesn't mind them.

I always coach anyone that comes to ride with use that the MUST buckle in and if anything happens and we start to tip over they are to cross their arms in front of their chest and close their eyes.

I don't ride or turn fast enough to worry about a high speed roll overs but tipping over on a side hill or going up a grade is a possibility.

If I were running at higher speeds all the time and trying to power slide and such, I think I would probably put the nets back up or look for an alternative to keep stray limbs in like the old wrist straps on the steering wheel or something similar.

I hope that the young girl you saw recovers quickly.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
our fix is don't go fast! sad to hear, but i constantly see people redlining their bikes. i guess we just like to cruise at lower speeds, but then we have a lot of mud.

Reactions: DBD and joeymt33

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!