P1000m5 Winch issues ... bad solenoid?

minisoda

minisoda

Aug 21, 2018
MN
Have a KFI winch and recently every time I winch out the SxS dies. I thought maybe it was drawing too much voltage and/or the batteries were low. I ended up replacing one of the batteries that also seemed to have gone bad.

New fully charged batteries and same problem. Winching in always worked perfectly.

Next I noticed that the positive cable from battery to the winch solenoid was very hot and actually melted the sheathing in one spot.

I’m thinking just put a new solenoid in. Any other thoughts or troubleshooting ideas?

Reactions: TxDoc
H

HondaTech

Check to make sure one of the post on the winch motor isn't touching the bumper.

I had a customer install their own winch and this ended up being the problem. I had to re-clock the motor housing to clear it.

Last edited:
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have a KFI winch and recently every time I winch out the SxS dies. I thought maybe it was drawing too much voltage and/or the batteries were low. I ended up replacing one of the batteries that also seemed to have gone bad.

New fully charged batteries and same problem. Winching in always worked perfectly.

Next I noticed that the positive cable from battery to the winch solenoid was very hot and actually melted the sheathing in one spot.

I’m thinking just put a new solenoid in. Any other thoughts or troubleshooting ideas?
Is the connection clean and tight?

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Damn, Andy the Mechanic has some sweet ass helpers. I’m doing something wrong to not have that kind of skills in my garage. Thanks for posting these were helpful.

Reactions: TxDoc
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!