Bad fm reception

K

Kolton

Oct 15, 2016
Vance, al
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I installed a 3" boss marine radio and ran my antenna to the passenger side rollcage and ziptied it to the rollcage at the base of the antenna. It doesn't pick up as well as I'd hoped, nothing like a car radio. My question is, how much does placement affect reception or is it just more of the quality of the radio or antenna? Any suggestions? I put some pictures of the radio/antenna. 0c7b03ee3709ea7271293e5cae722798Ad7410dfd809986b951e5e2dac91ee84

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe quality of parts vs location. I think mine is the same or similar, I have it mounted on drivers side at lower pillar. Try cleaning the paint off the base where the whip threads on.

Reactions: Kolton
K

Kolton

Oct 15, 2016
Vance, al
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe quality of parts vs location. I think mine is the same or similar, I have it mounted on drivers side at lower pillar. Try cleaning the paint off the base where the whip threads on.
Didn't think about the paint, ill definitely try that, thanks. I didn't permanently mount it because of the poor reception and I want sure if I would be replacing it later.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The paint acts like a roadblock for the signal. Hope it is that simple for you.

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I installed a 3" boss marine radio and ran my antenna to the passenger side rollcage and ziptied it to the rollcage at the base of the antenna. It doesn't pick up as well as I'd hoped, nothing like a car radio. My question is, how much does placement affect reception or is it just more of the quality of the radio or antenna? Any suggestions? I put some pictures of the radio/antenna.View attachment 55202View attachment 55203

I belive the antenna needs to be grounded on the frame mine improved once I did that by mounting it to the rops

Reactions: JACKAL

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!