P1000 Badland winches

T

tvolsr1

May 19, 2021
Holladay, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After getting stuck trying to pull a brother out this past weekend, it's time to get a WINCH. I've heard nothing but good things about the Badland winches from Harbor Freight. I'm looking at the winches in the 3500# to 5500# range. I know several folks on here have used them and I need some input/suggestions. It'll be going on a 2020 PK5.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Use the search first!
like u said, several folks here have used them and theres no change in that dept from a 16-21’ on the bolt up that I'm aware of.
By all means, dont forget to post up pics when your done with it to add to the search for others. Dont leave us hanging!

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd go 5500. I have a 4500 Warn on my 1000. I pulled a Talon 4 seater out of a creek one day and wish my winch had a little more pulling power. It pulled it out though.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a viper 5000 k on my P1K 5 and it’s never let me down. My 2 cents…
Don’t cheap out on an important piece of equipment like a wEnch, it could be the difference between going back to camp or spending the night on the trail.
I’d definitely go with a 5K# wEnch, if you tack the weight of your buggy + all your gear + the suction of the mud or a steep incline that adds weight to what yer pulling, so keep that in mind when deciding.
Good luck in your hunt and let us know how it turned out…
You know what they say…
Pics or it didn’t happen. 📸👍

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Believe it or not, I haven't bend stuck enough to use my winch for that yet. But, I can tell you, it's all math. Math is how much pulling power you'll need when your stuck to get out. Like said above, if your in deep mud you may need three times the weight of you machine to pull it out. This will bring you to another point. What's your winch line rated for. I used large winches and have no real knowledge of these small electric winches. I would say if you plan on really needing a winch your going to have to spend at least $300 to $500 on extra gear. You'll need a couple snatch blocks, extra winch line, tow rope, shackles, etc. The winch is just part of what you need. My 2 cents is to buy a top quality winch. One that you can get parts for if needed. Winches don't like water so the better they're sealed will help but you should still unspool your winch at every oil change and rewind it. Even if you don't use it. This will help keep it dry inside. I must also say, and I can't help it, buy American if you can.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi.
This is a great question and you'll get a lot of great answers and all of the above apply. I took a peek at the HF listed prices and they're very competitive. I haven't had a Badlands, but those with experience should weigh in.
Before you pull the trigger consider what you really need/want - primarily the mounting options and synthetic v. wire rope.
  1. Some like the winch on top out front and others want to spool through the factory front end enclosure. For mine, I wanted the winch inside, which pretty much required an inverted mount. Check the mount options before you make a final decision.
  2. Read about synthetic v. wire rope and choose. You can change later, but you'll have to change your fairlead/hawse if you switch.
Use the search function to find out who has done what, what they like, and decide what to do.

Bighat is very much right that there's more to have after getting a winch. A snatch block, shackles, and extra rope are easy adds.
I've bought lengths of Dyneema off Ebay, then YouTube taught me how to make my own soft shackles and eyelets at the end of a Dyneema recovery rope that will spool through a snatch block. Tow straps work for recovery, but they don't work in a snatch block. Not a big deal, but an issue. Your local farm store likely has great deals on hard shackles and snatch blocks.

Best wishes.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Believe it or not, I haven't bend stuck enough to use my winch for that yet. But, I can tell you, it's all math. Math is how much pulling power you'll need when your stuck to get out. Like said above, if your in deep mud you may need three times the weight of you machine to pull it out. This will bring you to another point. What's your winch line rated for. I used large winches and have no real knowledge of these small electric winches. I would say if you plan on really needing a winch your going to have to spend at least $300 to $500 on extra gear. You'll need a couple snatch blocks, extra winch line, tow rope, shackles, etc. The winch is just part of what you need. My 2 cents is to buy a top quality winch. One that you can get parts for if needed. Winches don't like water so the better they're sealed will help but you should still unspool your winch at every oil change and rewind it. Even if you don't use it. This will help keep it dry inside. I must also say, and I can't help it, buy American if you can.
Ramsey winch is the only Made in USA 5000lb winch I can find. About $1200

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a 3500 badlands on my talon and a 5000 badlands on my pioneer. Both are good winches.

the 3500 has gotten me or someone else out of some really sticky muddy spots. That said it came with the machine.

I would recommend the 5000 badlands. I run cable on both mine and haven’t needed a snatch block yet. If I rode alone far from home I would definitely carry one though.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Me again.
I read the above and for $1,200 you should get nothing less than the winch, a custom install in your own garage, and super bowl tickets.
For less than $400, I bought a 4,500# winch from a brand I'd used before. Had a problem several months later and contacted the manufacturer. They were very open about supply problems. Two months later, a brand new 4,500# winch was on my doorstep.
Wholly support Buy USA and local.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Me again.
I read the above and for $1,200 you should get nothing less than the winch, a custom install in your own garage, and super bowl tickets.
For less than $400, I bought a 4,500# winch from a brand I'd used before. Had a problem several months later and contacted the manufacturer. They were very open about supply problems. Two months later, a brand new 4,500# winch was on my doorstep.
Wholly support Buy USA and local.
1200 bucks to fellow Americans vs 400 to a gook....no brainer when I’m ready for a winch

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know USA made is limited to find and they $$$. Here's a winch made in Australia "Shepra". I've worked with manufactures in Australia and been to their places of business to see their workmanship. I can say, first hand, the Australian's seem to make some very good products with attention to detail. ATV Winch 4,500Lb

T

tvolsr1

May 19, 2021
Holladay, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 358455I know USA made is limited to find and they $$$. Here's a winch made in Australia "Shepra". I've worked with manufactures in Australia and been to their places of business to see their workmanship. I can say, first hand, the Australian's seem to make some very good products with attention to detail. ATV Winch 4,500Lb
I haven't researched them yet. But everything I've heard has been positive.

T

tvolsr1

May 19, 2021
Holladay, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I definitely plan on adding another battery to my machine when I add the winch. The more I research, the more I think I should go with a 5000 or 5500# winch. And I would love to buy American, but it's hard to justify spending 3, 4, 5x or more what I have to to get a decent Badland winch. I honestly don't plan on using the winch for my self getting stuck too often. I'm not one to try dumb stuff. But I'm always around that daring person that will. And thank EVERYONE that has chimed in and commented thus far!

V

Vetrob1

Jul 1, 2022
Sugarloaf
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-3
I did my research on her and there was a lot of support for the viper v2 6000. I said screw it and pulled the trigger. Like it so far. Haven’t needed it for real but after install I used it to tightly wind the rope in from a steep grade on my property and it didn’t flinch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I purchased a viper wide spool 6,000 lb from the club store. It’s been installed for about a year and a half. Up til last Friday, never needed it except for moving a big rock in my yard. Friday, I really needed it a couple of times and it worked very well. Only problem was with the 5 ft. long sheathing that is wrapped on the end. If you use the full 60 ft. of cable that comes with it that sheathing will bind in the spool. I cut off all but the last 6 inches or so and now it’s easy to free spool. The winch pulls slowly but I didn’t notice any major voltage drop on my secondary battery.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the badlands 5000. I wanted mine mounted outside. Used synth line and still using roller leads without issue. Go with synth before 1st use so the cable doesn't tear up your drum and rollers.

20220923 184620

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!