P500 Battery cover Nut design - free floating nut

Mat_l_1

Mat_l_1

Jul 10, 2024
Menomonie, WI
Ownership

1. 520
I'm discovering more and more about the "new to me" 520 and decided to put a charge on the battery.

Easy as pie the top bolt came out - the 'nut' stayed in place - no worries like some of the owners that mentioned super tightened bolts.

Start on the bottom bolt -- again came out without issues

HOWEVER when removing the bolt - the rectangular nut went 'clank' and fell right off the backside.

So I pause and think about what I heard... that my bolt only made a clank on metal, but I didn't hear it hit the cement or roll.. I think I should find this.. which means - as I look underneath - there's the little rectangle sitting on a skid plate. Now if I was out in the woods - that nut could have been long gone

So future owners - careful when taking off those battery cover bolts. and current owners - anyone have a fix for this that worksf (I'm beginning to think glue)
Looked quick online and found Honda Side by Side 2021 OEM Parts Diagram for BATTERY | Partzilla.com and sure enough part #12 is a rectangular bolt but it doesn't appear to be secured very well.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome to the forum. This link to many threads on that issue may help find the best fix for you, many good options. Thankful for @Hondasxs creating a good Search feature.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Not every design/application is a home run. This one is frustrating, for sure. The thought of removing/replacing that cover fills me with dread! 😖

Probably Hahnda thought: it's a tiny economy utility SxS; just how often (and why) will customers be adding anything to this gizmo??

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I well remember my experience with that damn cover. I decided to take it off to add a pigtail to plug in to my battery maintainer, when it was going to set for a while. Having been in the military, as well as working in construction, and the oil field, I had a pretty good vocabulary of profanity. I recall running out of cuss words and having to start repeating myself for one of the few times in my life.:mad:

KyGal83

KyGal83

KGB, SNS, Duchess Sheldon, Ms. Daisy, Natasha
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
I swear the person who designed that 🤬 battery box cover…. Was a puzzle box designer, I believe that 🤬 sits back reads these post and laughs. I loath that thing. 😡