P1000 Battery replacement

W

WVMatthews1982

Apr 10, 2021
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys we bought a 1000-5 deluxe new in 2020. Zero mods except for dual battery setup. Recently battery has been very low or totally dead. Started using a trickle charger which keeps it up enough to start but if you don't use and let it sit for an hour or so it's too low again. So is three years about right to be replacing a battery in these? Or potentially another issue? Granted we don't use it too awful much and it sets a good while at times until we need it... Just didn't figure it would go bad this soon.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You say Zero mods and have a dual batt set up?
Why do u have the dual batt if you have no mods? And what is it hooked to and how?

You should get more than 3 yrs on the std batt unless u either have A-a dead cell that was partially not good from factory or B-something is drawing lightly over time killing it (like a mod) and now it has a dead cell from that. Your 100% stock you say? 🤔
Something aint adding up.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've heard, too often, that today's batteries don't last like they used to. I'd start with a new battery. Seems it's just luck of the draw.

Reactions: TxDoc and Rayger143
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey guys we bought a 1000-5 deluxe new in 2020. Zero mods except for dual battery setup. Recently battery has been very low or totally dead. Started using a trickle charger which keeps it up enough to start but if you don't use and let it sit for an hour or so it's too low again. So is three years about right to be replacing a battery in these? Or potentially another issue? Granted we don't use it too awful much and it sets a good while at times until we need it... Just didn't figure it would go bad this soon.
2 Years is about the time frame when my first battery died, bought I think the Mighty Max, it lasted maybe 2 years, went back to the Yousa battery, been with me now for 3 years.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No, I think the problem, at least over the last few years (including my 2021), is that like the rest of us, Honda USA had and has supply chain issues. No doubt this meant some of the in-stock stuff sat on the shelves or in unfinished vehicles. Lead acid batteries don't like that. Depending on storage conditions, they self discharge about 5% a month. They need to be charged at least twice a year to prevent the onset of damage.

My '21 had to have a new battery after a year. Properly cared for, a lead acid (Pb) battery should last for at least 5 years and more.

I should add, if a battery mfg. uses reclaimed/recycled lead, it probably won't have the same lifespan as virgin lead.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I forgot about this thread! 🤣
The OP started the thread and left 2 min later and hasn't been back on the forum since! I wonder if hes stranded in the woods with a bad battery 🤔

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I forgot about this thread! 🤣
The OP started the thread and left 2 min later and hasn't been back on the forum since! I wonder if hes stranded in the woods with a bad battery 🤔

I think it's more likely he's become another hapless victim of the "female wood nymphs". They're the cute little scantily clad winged creatures that inhabit the forests, glens, and swamps. They like nothing better than to abduct virile men so they can have their way with them . . . it can be a truly gruesome experience, as they'll just wear out a fella in no time and take away all his desire to escape. Be forewarned, I've heard they prefer Honda P-1000 drivers.

H

HEK

Jan 22, 2020
Avery,Tx
Ownership

1. 700-2
You don't use it much then keep a maintainer on it if you want to get several years out of it

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Still nothing from the OP since the thread started!
I sure hope he got himself and rig out of the woods :eek: 🤣

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!