P1000 Battery Upgrade and Relocation under seat?

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My 2017 1000-3 with 22 miles already has a wimpy battery. I ordered a battery tender. Still waiting for it to show up. My question is: Would it be better to locate a real, size 27 truck battery, under the driver's seat and throw the mini battery away? My old Fourtrax had foot start option. This 1000 doesn't. If mini battery goes dead you're screwed! The 45 amp charging alternator should keep a real battery charged up. But want to know what others have done. No winch, lights, etc. Just want reliable desert operations.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2017 1000-3 with 22 miles already has a wimpy battery. I ordered a battery tender. Still waiting for it to show up. My question is: Would it be better to locate a real, size 27 truck battery, under the driver's seat and throw the mini battery away? My old Fourtrax had foot start option. This 1000 doesn't. If mini battery goes dead you're screwed! The 45 amp charging alternator should keep a real battery charged up. But want to know what others have done. No winch, lights, etc. Just want reliable desert operations.

Post #74

P1000m5 - Rock Donkey

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No problems with my stock battery 1 1/2 years old. I have a winch and a snow plow

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Put a second battery in like most guys do. The best point being, if your main battery fails, you can jumper across from the second battery. With one battery, if it fails, your walking home.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you winch heavy long pulls it will drain even a full size truck battery the pioneer charging system just can’t keep up BUT when the voltage on the primary battery drops below 12v (which it will quickly winching) the clutch solenoid releases allowing the clutch to slip.

With a six battery and an isolator you put all your accessories on the second battery and the link between main and six is ONLY for charging. Thereby saving your clutch and primary battery.

If your primary dies it’s EASY to move the battery lead on the iso to the main side and fire it up.

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Like others have said if your worried about a dead battery in the desert, use the battery isolater and a second battery. A larger battery will only give you longer cranking time, it can still fail. Another option is a portable jump starter, they are reliable, small, and not that expensive

Reactions: BLC
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like others have said if your worried about a dead battery in the desert, use the battery isolater and a second battery. A larger battery will only give you longer cranking time, it can still fail. Another option is a portable jump starter, they are reliable, small, and not that expensive

I have a jump pack I carry as well.

It’s only paranoia if you NEVER need it.

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!