BF Goodrich KO2 on a Talon?

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am wondering if anyone has run the KO2s on a Talon? Yes, I know about the UTV specific KM3s, but they are not DOT approved. I am in AZ, my new Talon 1000R is street legal, and I need DOT tires. I think these tires should do pretty well in the terrain that I run, which is mostly sand, rocks, and pavement. I ride enough pavement that good manners on pavement is important. I might rarely get into snow, and I don't do mud! I am thinking about the 30x9.50R15. BFG lists this at 29.5" diameter, and 9.5" wide when mounted on a 7.5" wide wheel. They are listed at 39.66 pounds, which is at the heavy end of things. I know these tires are well regarded on Jeeps and trucks. I have owned some myself. I just wonder how they would fare on a SxS? I consider this a very high quality tire, from a reputable manufacturer. The icing on the cake is that these are readily available for $148, which I think is a bargain. They have a 50,000 mile tread life warranty, but I suspect that will not apply in SxS use! :)

I would run the same size front and rear. With a spare, I could do 5 tire rotations. I might use 5 Honda front wheels, or I might go to beadlocks. The leading contender would be the STI HD9 6+1 beadlocks.

I appreciate any thoughts, but would especially appreciate hearing from anyone with actual experience with these. Thanks!

Tom in AZ
Did You get them? How are they?

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Did You get them? How are they?
Yes, I got them. See posts 28,35,36 for some pictures. See post 53 for a review.

Bottom line: I like them a lot! I only have about 650 miles on them, but I have ridden all of the terrain that I will normally encounter: sandy washes, rocky trails, gravel roads, and pavement. Oh, and I followed CID through a 2' deep water hole! They have performed exactly as I wanted and expected. I hope they last a good long time. We are heading north to Williams next week, and I will probably put 400 or 500 miles on the Talon there. They are not dune tires or mud tires, but I don't do that stuff. Much. I think the only downside that I have noticed is increased steering effort at low speeds on pavement. These are not wide tires, but they put a lot of tread on the ground. That is not an issue in the dirt.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, I got them. See posts 28,35,36 for some pictures. See post 53 for a review.

Bottom line: I like them a lot! I only have about 650 miles on them, but I have ridden all of the terrain that I will normally encounter: sandy washes, rocky trails, gravel roads, and pavement. Oh, and I followed CID through a 2' deep water hole! They have performed exactly as I wanted and expected. I hope they last a good long time. We are heading north to Williams next week, and I will probably put 400 or 500 miles on the Talon there. They are not dune tires or mud tires, but I don't do that stuff. Much. I think the only downside that I have noticed is increased steering effort at low speeds on pavement. These are not wide tires, but they put a lot of tread on the ground. That is not an issue in the dirt.
It was deeper ‘n 2 feet, yer left front was under water for a bit. :cool:

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
It was deeper ‘n 2 feet, yer left front was under water for a bit. :cool:
View attachment 279480
I figured you might correct me on that! I do know that I wouldn't have gone in if you hadn't gone first! We are in an extreme drought situation, but there is water, if you know where to look. :cool:

Reactions: Rick53 and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I figured you might correct me on that! I do know that I wouldn't have gone in if you hadn't gone first! We are in an extreme drought situation, but there is water, if you know where to look. :cool:
Hey, you had a winch - what could possibly go wrong? :D I knew when my feet got wet, it was deeper than I thought. ruh roh :eek:

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R

Thanks, a guy on a talon FB page was thinking about them and I wanted to get an update on your experience for him. I‘ll send him a link to your comments.

was up at Williams riding in May. Have you been to the Johnson train tunnel, crater, steel dam and crater? I recall you’ve been up there a lot.

Reactions: Rick53
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
No law on the AZ book stating you have to have DOT tires. just an FYI.

R

Rick53

Dec 11, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No law on the AZ book stating you have to have DOT tires. just an FYI.
In Arizona you are required by law to have DOT approved tires to run on the street, check on line or at the Motor Vehicle. I have never been stopped or seen someone pulled over in a UTV. We are not that strict on our laws here, being close is good enough. Also most of the Law Enforcement people are pretty cool and will let you off with a warning.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Guessing Box Canyon?
Not sure, I was following @Boundertom , he was so kind as to take me on a beautiful loop through the desert east of Congress. He lives in a delightful subdivision a few miles south of Congress.

Reactions: HavasuDave
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
In Arizona you are required by law to have DOT approved tires to run on the street, check on line or at the Motor Vehicle. I have never been stopped or seen someone pulled over in a UTV. We are not that strict on our laws here, being close is good enough. Also most of the Law Enforcement people are pretty cool and will let you off with a warning.
There is NO ARS code to write a ticket on. No LAW stating you have to have DOT tires. if there is then please post the ARS.

Reactions: HavasuDave
R

Rick53

Dec 11, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is NO ARS code to write a ticket on. No LAW stating you have to have DOT tires. if there is then please post the ARS.
You are right, when I registered mine back in 2018 it was a requirement but not really enforced (I still have the paperwork). Now it is not. Here are the requirements now. Street Legal Information for Off Highway Vehicles, Laws Rules Regulations

I'm too lazy to look for my old paperwork, but here is a post from back in 2016 when it was a requirement.

HNTNGUY
  • Advanced Member

• HNTNGUY
  • Members

• 377 posts
Posted July 23, 2016
Pwrguy- give me a call. I work for a very large ATV/UTV/Motorcycle dealer here in the valley. DOT tires are in fact a requirement for the street and I have actually seen a checkpoint up at Mormon Lake where they were citing people that were non compliant with tires, kids helmets etc.

The Mongrels are a good tire. I run the Chicane on all of my personal units as the side wall is a little better.

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
B

bk5r

Apr 13, 2020
Congress, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Winner winner, chicken dinner. I am sure you have been through there a few times. That hole got deep a couple of years ago!
Yeah, been there done that. Got buried in that hole a few years back, had to get hauled out. That area by the water level gauge station is different every season, Looking forward to getting back to North Ranch this fall.
Lot #47

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
You mentioned that a LT tire's sidewall will be insanely stiff. I realize that the KM3 will have a stiff sidewall, especially compared to my Terrabites. I was at a UTV show locally that had different sorts of seminars, I was intrigued by one that talked tires/terrain. They had a cutaway sample of a BFG KM3 vs the KM2, the KM3 has a significantly heavier sidewall which the rep described as being much more puncture resistant than the previous KM2. That's what I'm after since almost all of my riding is higher speed AZ desert terrain which is pretty tough on tires and that's why I'm choosing the KM3 when the time comes. If it's "insanely stiff" I'll consider it a compromise for where/how I ride.
I have found mine have an excellent ride, great traction and handling. I ride Arizona desert and mountains. Also they worked great at Glamis, which surprised me. I run 6-8 psi desert / mountains , 4-5 at Glamis.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hey Tom, how about an update? Mileage so far? What tire pressure have you settled on or do you change for conditions? Overall impressions? Current photos of wear?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!