Bigger Battery

C

cowboy1

Feb 11, 2015
I've been looking into a bigger battery. Been kinda looking at optima dual battery. (thanks ohanacreek) Have these kind of batterys been around awhile. Does my p2 charging system take care of both sides of the battery.---starting and deep cycle. Never knew they had this type of battery. Any info would be appreciated.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Optima has been around since 1990 but its parent company Gates Rubber company was started in 1972. It was bough by Johnson Controls in 2000 and is top tier line of their $15Billion a year global battery division of which accounts for 98% of the domestic automotive battery market and 68% of the global automotive battery market. It's not really a dual battery it's a dual capability battery it has the capabilities of a cranking battery and a deep cycle battery. It gives great power for starting and starting high draw accessories and it can be deeply discharged and not be damaged by it as easily. Normal cranking batteries can't be deep discharged without causing damage. It is also incredibly resistant to vibration which is a battery killer.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/products/yellowtop

Difference between red and yellow/blue tops.
http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/support/faqs

C

cowboy1

Feb 11, 2015
Thanks for the info. You seem to know a lot about these batteries.

D

dogman

Feb 9, 2015
Thanks as well. I'm thinking about a double battery set-up for my P500 also. I read somewhere that both batteries should be the Sam size. Do you know if one of these like a 48 amphour one would work with an isolator? This may seem like an ignorant question, but I only know two things about electricity. First, it's invisible. Second, it can kill you. :)

Reactions: Texguy02
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
dogman said:
Thanks as well. I'm thinking about a double battery set-up for my P500 also. I read somewhere that both batteries should be the Sam size. Do you know if one of these like a 48 amphour one would work with an isolator? This may seem like an ignorant question, but I only know two things about electricity. First, it's invisible. Second, it can kill you. :)

(2) 45ahr batteries would weigh about 80lbs.
Just use one, be plenty. With two batteries you replace them both when one goes bad if they're more than a few months old. That and you have a switch, extra wiring, an isolator, two mounts. Two batteries gets costly. I start to over think things a lot and have to remember the K.I.S.S. rule. Why I ended up with a single battery. Some people prefer to have a second battery(better to have and not need it than need and and not have it philosophy) I apply that for other things 4x4 trucks, a pocket knife...ect.

I've run my radio LOUD for SEVERAL hours while we were working on installing retractable running boards and a LED grill on a buddies truck.

For my fellow nerds check this explanation of what an ahr or AmpHour is.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_11/3.html

The starter/alternator would charge it just fine.

Reactions: GPR1500SC
D

dogman

Feb 9, 2015
Was thinking about one in addition to the factory battery. 36 pounds. You're right about the switches, wires, etc. I might just replace the factory battery instead. It would actually be cheaper and less to go wrong. Thanks

C

cowboy1

Feb 11, 2015
Read the amp/hr explanation. Can be pretty sure I'm not a nerd because a nerd would have read the whole article.

Reactions: bobbyhill
Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
ohanacreek, did you install the Optima battery in the stock location? If not, where did you put it?

HoytCRX32

HoytCRX32

May 5, 2014
Have a pic of the optima installed on a p2? Thanks!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks the same as a P-4 at that point on the frame the vehicle is the same once you pass the B post is when things start to change.

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have the Red mountain kit with an oreillys agm battery. Deka makes their agm's and i have had great success. I only recommend agm batteries. On my pioneer i have a stereo, jl audio class d amp, 42 inch led light bar, hid head lights, two whips, led speaker rings, dash rockers, winch, and i'm about to add some more lights. A larger battery was my only option.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
i am a loyal east penn battery person have been for years no offense if you read this mr JCI ohanacreek :p

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i am a loyal east penn battery person have been for years no offense if you read this mr JCI ohanacreek :p

Doesn't bother me we have 48% of domestic automotive, industrial and hybrid battery production, 37% worldwide :cool:. I don't even work for the Power Solutions Division, as long as my stocks keep going up,
East Penn can share that domestic 52% with whoever else is out there.

Reactions: ckhenshaw4
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I installed the RMP battery box. It was a great install and I'm very happy with it. Thanks RMP

F8cc70e2965e79d821d5c176e328b81c

In the pic you can see a fuse just for added safety. I have a 200 amp fuse in right now. I also have a 250 and 300 in the glove box for back up. The warm winch will pull 300 amps just before it stalls so I thought I'd pack some bigger fuses.

Reactions: ohanacreek
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
N

Nick1997

Jun 10, 2017
Cape Coral fl
Ownership

1. 700-4
I installed the RMP battery box. It was a great install and I'm very happy with it. Thanks RMP

View attachment 34073

In the pic you can see a fuse just for added safety. I have a 200 amp fuse in right now. I also have a 250 and 300 in the glove box for back up. The warm winch will pull 300 amps just before it stalls so I thought I'd pack some bigger fuses.
What size optima are you running and where did you get the battery box from?

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I put in a MOTOBATT brand battery...with a higher Ah rating...Working out fine for me so far

Reactions: Plumber32
H

hydrantman

I've also installed a Yellow Top in my P2 under the drivers seat, been in for two years and no problems have plenty of extras on my P2 and the battery has never given me any trouble.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!