P1000 Bighorn 2.0 max miles when worn out?

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just wondering how many miles to expect out of the stock Bighorn 2.0 tires for P1K-3 for mix trail / blacktop road use. I have about a thousand miles on the Bighorns and the wear groove in the tread is still pretty deep. Just wondering if running them down to no groove left is advisable? I would be interested in going to a different brand that has better wear resistance to blacktop roads and would also be a little quieter sounding, but at the standard stock size. Maybe a more road style tread that would be ok for most trail use. I do not ride the deep mud as there is not much of that where I ride. Thanks for any suggestions!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I got around 3600 miles on mine and replaced them with about 20% tread left. I have had great luck with Bighorn copies from RMATV being Tusk Trilobyte at half the price of genuine Bighorn tires getting same mileage from them too. On P1K I was able to run 29x9x14 front and 29x11x14 rear Trilobyte on OEM wheels.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I got around 3600 miles on mine and replaced them with about 20% tread left. I have had great luck with Bighorn copies from RMATV being Tusk Trilobyte at half the price of genuine Bighorn tires getting same mileage from them too. On P1K I was able to run 29x9x14 front and 29x11x14 rear Trilobyte on OEM wheels.
Thank you Jackal !

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just wondering how many miles to expect out of the stock Bighorn 2.0 tires for P1K-3 for mix trail / blacktop road use.
Its not so much what you ride, its how you ride. Ive seen some that ride blacktop 1/2 the time and trail the other 1/2 get less than 2k and some well over 4k. So without hurting feelings, Ill just say riding styles. hard to put a good number on it. Just when the lugs get low or you feel your getting sh!t traction, time for new ones.

If you want quieter and the best ware on blacktop roads and all around great in mud as well.
go with some LT/MT tires. Been running them for the last 3 years doing the same 1/2&1/2 and then some that you speak of. Was scared to do it at first, now ill do it again and again.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Its not so much what you ride, its how you ride. Ive seen some that ride blacktop 1/2 the time and trail the other 1/2 get less than 2k and some well over 4k. So without hurting feelings, Ill just say riding styles. hard to put a good number on it. Just when the lugs get low or you feel your getting sh!t traction, time for new ones.

If you want quieter and the best ware on blacktop roads and all around great in mud as well.
go with some LT/MT tires. Been running them for the last 3 years doing the same 1/2&1/2 and then some that you speak of. Was scared to do it at first, now ill do it again and again.
Not hurting my feelings one bit! I have a very easy going riding style. I don't do burn outs. I paid alot of $ for this machine and I am going to try to make it last.
That's a great suggestion on the LT/MT tire brand! Looks like those could work great for my riding style... Thank you Remington!

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My '16 P1K5 came with them... I've got about 1400 miles on it now... It's a farm use and hunting buggy for me... I put Multi-Seal in the tires when I got it new... Until last Fall at the deer lease, I'd never had to add air to any of them, but passenger rear started to get low... Pumped it back up... next morning it was low again... Tread on these tires looked almost new... Almost no pavement running...
I had some extra multi-seal in camp so I added it to that tire, then drove it around a bit... Leak stopped, but upon close inspection, I noticed tiny little wet spots where the multi-seal had seeped and sealed leaks in front of and behind almost every big lug that was on the outer and inner edges of that tire... It had begun to have stress cracks and dry rot... Before you run them down too much, check for the condition of the tire structure! I put on the BFG's 8 ply and went to 29's and I sure like them... I kept the bighorns as they "looked" almost new, but once I looked at them real good, I was disappointed at how bad they had stress cracked...

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My '16 P1K5 came with them... I've got about 1400 miles on it now... It's a farm use and hunting buggy for me... I put Multi-Seal in the tires when I got it new... Until last Fall at the deer lease, I'd never had to add air to any of them, but passenger rear started to get low... Pumped it back up... next morning it was low again... Tread on these tires looked almost new... Almost no pavement running...
I had some extra multi-seal in camp so I added it to that tire, then drove it around a bit... Leak stopped, but upon close inspection, I noticed tiny little wet spots where the multi-seal had seeped and sealed leaks in front of and behind almost every big lug that was on the outer and inner edges of that tire... It had begun to have stress cracks and dry rot... Before you run them down too much, check for the condition of the tire structure! I put on the BFG's 8 ply and went to 29's and I sure like them... I kept the bighorns as they "looked" almost new, but once I looked at them real good, I was disappointed at how bad they had stress cracked...
Thank you for that message! I will have to watch for those stress cracks! Just turned over 1000 miles on them.

Reactions: Smitty335
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have about 1800 miles on some Bighorn oem take offs. Probably a blend of 50/50 trail and highway. Mine aren’t even half worn yet.

the factory black stones only have 900 on them, but the fronts excessive wear was from my P1k5 being toe out by 1/2”. I resolved that before putting on the bighorn take offs.

Reactions: Bombardier Convert
MissouriHunter

MissouriHunter

Mar 21, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just wondering how many miles to expect out of the stock Bighorn 2.0 tires for P1K-3 for mix trail / blacktop road use. I have about a thousand miles on the Bighorns and the wear groove in the tread is still pretty deep. Just wondering if running them down to no groove left is advisable? I would be interested in going to a different brand that has better wear resistance to blacktop roads and would also be a little quieter sounding, but at the standard stock size. Maybe a more road style tread that would be ok for most trail use. I do not ride the deep mud as there is not much of that where I ride. Thanks for any suggestions!
I got 4900 miles on mine. Mostly gravel road/light trail riding. Just got my new tusk terrabites today. 28x10x14

20220918 142449

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!