P500 Bighorn originals or 2.0's

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
I doubt you're going to hear many, if any, complaints. Both are highly regarded. If you're shopping, the main thing to watch out for is if you are buying take-offs. I believe some of the OEM's put Bighorn 2.0's on that have a 2 ply rating. I can't remember specifically where I saw them... maybe someone else will chime in about it.

The Yamaha Viking comes with 2 ply front and 4 ply rear 2.0's. But they aren't even radials !! I found this out after buying a new set of Viking SE take offs. :(. No wonder the nice fancy aluminum wheels and tires were only $450 shipped for the set of 4.
Don't understand how they can be called Bighorn 2.0 when the real McCoy is a radial and the Viking OE is bias.
But I just lucked out and found a brand new pair of Bighorn (originals) 25x10-12's local for $150 !
So I think I'll buy a matching pair of 25x8-12's and mount them on my Viking SE wheels and use the "fake" 2.0's on one of our Foreman's or Rancher.

J

JTW

The Yamaha Viking comes with 2 ply front and 4 ply rear 2.0's. But they aren't even radials !! I found this out after buying a new set of Viking SE take offs. :(. No wonder the nice fancy aluminum wheels and tires were only $450 shipped for the set of 4.
Don't understand how they can be called Bighorn 2.0 when the real McCoy is a radial and the Viking OE is bias.
But I just lucked out and found a brand new pair of Bighorn (originals) 25x10-12's local for $150 !
So I think I'll buy a matching pair of 25x8-12's and mount them on my Viking SE wheels and use the "fake" 2.0's on one of our Foreman's or Rancher.
I don't understand why bighorn does it.. it just makes their tires look bad.

Reactions: moparornocar
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ride down here and you'll find yourself with lots of flats..
My old neck of the woods in IL had more than it's fair share of rocks, sticks, boulders, and such. Maybe I don't ride hard enough, or maybe I'm just lucky. I have to replace one tire due to alignment, but honestly I think I'm going to stay with the BH for an off-road tire. I still need my truck tires for the PROTC, but the BH suit me fine.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Maxxis. ...Cero's
are my pick...
6ply....all terrain
ive..matched my tires..
to my riding conditions
...Almost 3 yrs...8psi
no issues...
& I ride alot

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I didn't vote...
cause don't use..
either of those
tires...
poll should of been
of more choices
IMO

J

JTW

My old neck of the woods in IL had more than it's fair share of rocks, sticks, boulders, and such. Maybe I don't ride hard enough, or maybe I'm just lucky. I have to replace one tire due to alignment, but honestly I think I'm going to stay with the BH for an off-road tire. I still need my truck tires for the PROTC, but the BH suit me fine.
I like Big Horns I just think its bulls*** Honda put a 4 ply tire on us!

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
The Bighorn 2.0 was specifically made for O.E.M. factory models as a way to keep costs down. It's a cheaper made tire than the original Bighorn. One of the first things I do with a new machine is take the cheap factory tires off and put radials on. Always amazed me they design these great machines, then put cheapo tires on that degrade the handling, ride quality & performance. In the back of my shop I have several piles of cheap O.E.M. factory tires. When I got my Can Am Commander it had the Bighorn 2.0's and going down a level smooth dirt road, it wandered side to side like it was riding on balloons. I put on D.O.T. 8 ply radial Tensor Regulator tires and it handles amazing like it's on rails at all speeds, all surfaces, especially 72 mph on the Arizona highways where I can even let go of the steering wheel and it keeps going straight, quiet, and smooth as silk... On my Honda P-500 I put on 25" 6 ply radials.

advertisement
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Bighorn 2.0 was specifically made for O.E.M. factory models as a way to keep costs down. It's a cheaper made tire than the original Bighorn. One of the first things I do with a new machine is take the cheap factory tires off and put radials on. Always amazed me they design these great machines, then put cheapo tires on that degrade the handling, ride quality & performance. In the back of my shop I have several piles of cheap O.E.M. factory tires. When I got my Can Am Commander it had the Bighorn 2.0's and going down a level smooth dirt road, it wandered side to side like it was riding on balloons. I put on D.O.T. 8 ply radial Tensor Regulator tires and it handles amazing like it's on rails at all speeds, all surfaces, especially 72 mph on the Arizona highways where I can even let go of the steering wheel and it keeps going straight, quiet, and smooth as silk... On my Honda P-500 I put on 25" 6 ply radials.

Love me Regulators as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Arizona
J

JTW

The 2.0's may have been designed for OEM applications.. but if you buy 2.0's new they're a 6 ply tire. The Hondas are 4! I agree, it's a shame we have to make changes like that on a brand new $16,000 machine!

Reactions: Ripper77 and rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
The 2.0's may have been designed for OEM applications.. but if you buy 2.0's new they're a 6 ply tire. The Hondas are 4! I agree, it's a shame we have to make changes like that on a brand new $16,000 machine!
There in it....to make $
.....& dick us all...out of
customer service.
PERIOD

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
I have originals and could not be happier.

Reactions: JTW
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm torn between BH originals or Tusk Terrabites on the PK5 this go around.

I'm going Tusk next tire purchase as of right. I seen several guys at the Takeover using them and they performed good.

Reactions: JTW
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yup... I wish they were avalible in bigger than a 28 though..

Really!? I'm buying 32's next go-round!!

You better go back to RMATV and check the sizes!!

J

JTW

Really!? I'm buying 32's next go-round!!

You better go back to RMATV and check the sizes!!
Oh s***!!! That settles it.. 30" terrabites! I was putting in the machine and it only gave me IMG 4514

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!