P1000 Blackwater Evo's 30x10-14

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From what I can tell, both the Evo 30s and the Roctane 30s sit right at 28.5" with ~7psi. Is that about right Joey? And from what I've been seeing, it seems like a tire that measures 28.5" would fit with no lift or just a 2" suspension lift. Am I off the mark here? Just trying to understand all this (its a lot to take in with all the pressure changes and different lifts) so I can make an educated decision when its time for me to buy new rubber.

Last edited:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
In my opinion, these Evos would require a lift to use them. Just a strong made lift should do good. The Evos measured 28" at what I would consider operating pressure and under the vehicle which is only 1/2" shorter than the Roctanes. However, the Roctanes flat profile will make contact sooner than the Evos.

I have found for my preference that below 10 psi is what I want in a 8ply tire. My stock bighorn 2.0 tires feel too soft at 14 psi and these Roctanes at 7psi feel stronger than the OEM rubber.

The reason I bring this up is because a guy could get 30" out of his Roctanes if he wanted a rough ride.

On my P700, 4-5 psi is all I used and loved it for 700 miles. It also had 8ply Evos that were a true 28".

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Here's the reply from ITP.

Good afternoon, Mr. Taylor:

I forwarded the photos of the tire(s) to ITP personnel more knowledgeable than I in these tires. In order to obtain the “true” height of the tires, I have been advised to request the tire(s) to be aired to the max inflation pressure recommended on the tire with no weight on them. You may lay the tire either on its side on the ground or a bench.

Then measure the circumference of the tire (from rim center to outside of tire) all the way around the tire. Add the total measurement and divide by 3.14 or π (pi). I am told this will result in the true height of the tire.

Please provide the measurements at your earliest convenience.

Thank you,

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's the reply from ITP.

Good afternoon, Mr. Taylor:

I forwarded the photos of the tire(s) to ITP personnel more knowledgeable than I in these tires. In order to obtain the “true” height of the tires, I have been advised to request the tire(s) to be aired to the max inflation pressure recommended on the tire with no weight on them. You may lay the tire either on its side on the ground or a bench.

Then measure the circumference of the tire (from rim center to outside of tire) all the way around the tire. Add the total measurement and divide by 3.14 or π (pi). I am told this will result in the true height of the tire.

Please provide the measurements at your earliest convenience.

Thank you,
So the "true" height of the tire is aired up to its max recommended? What is that like 36psi? Sounds like they're not going to help you.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
These tires are max pressure rated at 32psi. Do any of you guys ever ride with that high of pressure? I know I'm always under 10psi with 8ply tires. Now my OEM bighorns have to be at 14 or higher since they are so soft.

Anyway, I'll measure them like they asked when I return home this weekend. But I'm sure they will be 30" if inflated to 32psi. They will be super round and ride terrible which means I will stick with my Roctanes.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These tires are max pressure rated at 32psi. Do any of you guys ever ride with that high of pressure? I know I'm always under 10psi with 8ply tires. Now my OEM bighorns have to be at 14 or higher since they are so soft.

Anyway, I'll measure them like they asked when I return home this weekend. But I'm sure they will be 30" if inflated to 32psi. They will be super round and ride terrible which means I will stick with my Roctanes.
I'm sure somebody will take those Evos off your hands eventually. Maybe me if you have them long enough.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
hell, if they only measure 28" at operating pressure, I should be able to run them stock with no lift...

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
hell, if they only measure 28" at operating pressure, I should be able to run them stock with no lift...

Maybe they will fit. They were close in the pics I took but that was inflated to 14 psi.

I'm not dying to get rid of them. I know RMATV will take them back. I just wanted to check if anyone wanted a better deal vs buying them new. I'll leave them on the sale forum for a little while longer.

Reactions: PioneerPete
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe they will fit. They were close in the pics I took but that was inflated to 14 psi.

I'm not dying to get rid of them. I know RMATV will take them back. I just wanted to check if anyone wanted a better deal vs buying them new. I'll leave them on the sale forum for a little while longer.
I think I'm going to get my money's worth out of these Bighorns before I make any changes in that category. Since I've already bent one of my a-arms, I'll probably go with arched in the future with some 30s, but I'm not in any rush either.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think I'm going to get my money's worth out of these Bighorns before I make any changes in that category. Since I've already bent one of my a-arms, I'll probably go with arched in the future with some 30s, but I'm not in any rush either.

How did you bend an A-arm?

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did you bend an A-arm?
I'm not sure exactly when it happened. I'm pretty sure it was a rock in a mudhole that I couldn't see. I recall taking a pretty good hit, but it wasn't enough to stop the machine. It's not too bad, but it is a noticeable deformation in the skid and arm. I asked the guys at the Honda shop to check it out. they said they had seen much worse, and not to worry about it unless it was causing me problems.

Reactions: joeymt33
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
So between 28.5 and true 30 you would only gain .75 clearance is that worth the trade off between tires im not informed about the roctanes but i know the itps are great tires

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So between 28.5 and true 30 you would only gain .75 clearance is that worth the trade off between tires im not informed about the roctanes but i know the itps are great tires

I rode Saturday with my friend that has my old P700 which still has the 28" EVOs. In one thick, muddy, gooey spot that was only ~6" deep, I had to use 4x4 and he didn't. The 30" Roctanes are great tires and I really like them but they don't pull in the slop like the EVOs.

As for now, I'm keeping the EVOs and may try them for some all day rides. I need to measure the clearance difference and also consider clutch issues.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!