Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just to the left there. This is looking into the oil dipstick little door flap

View attachment 294988
Ouch! That definitely looks to me like something blew apart from the inside. What’s the oil residue on the dipstick look like? Did it still look like oil or was it more like coffee with cream?

Reactions: Blownzuki
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Sadly this is going to become the normal experience the Pioneer motor design is a epic fail!
I am a diehard Honda products fan, BUT using the rod bearing oil pressure to lube your pistons is a new low in foolishness!!!😡😡

This is a Pioneer problem only the African Twin motorcycle and the Talons motors don't use the connecting rods to lubricate the cylinders on the Pioneer they have a small orifice in the connecting rod to bleed oil off of your rods so any breaking down of the lubrication system, forget to change oil and your break's down (loses its viscositie gets thinner ) bam oil starvation and spun bearing, natural wear the pressure decreases over the engine life as tolerances get bigger or any reason of low oil pressure/flow and the connecting rods get starved.
My dispatcher's stock Pioneer that he bought used spun a rod bearing for no reason soon after he bought it, we have no maintenance records on it?
To explain how diehard Honda I am, I am putting a Talon motor in my Pioneer at 5,100 miles when it spun a rod bearing and trashed the crank, and this after I did a complete over haul with new bearings because of Colorado head gasket issues it had over heated hot enough to scuff the cylinders so I bored it out and put pistons in it I hate doing things by half's.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
....... I have sent an inquiry to Honda about it just to see if they have any input cuz 2500 miles isn't s*** for a Honda motor.
We're not dealing with the same old Honda here. Just ask the tons of 700cc engine owners who lost a cam in early miles....1st it was in 4wheelers, then the Big Red and then the Pioneers. Mine went out around 700 miles. Had to fight pretty hard to get Honda to cover 1/2 of the costs. I'd call it growing pains had the engine not been in so many other machines. Good luck to you. My guess is this is a result of past issues. I keep wondering when my "cam issue" and all of it's metal shavings will come back to haunt me.

Reactions: TripleB
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I hope you'll keep the members informed as you learn more. This is the first serious failure I've heard of but I'm a newcomer to UTV/ATVs.

Reactions: Bucknasty14

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!