1. 1000-5
Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That'll work just fine. Remember the negative (cathode or banded end of the diode goes to positive on the relay) the other end (unmarked or anode end) goes to negative on the relay.
Thanks, knocked out another task I didn’t know I needed to do.

jshafe87

jshafe87

Oct 12, 2021
Decatur, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And....
Today I have a second customer with the same issue.
This guy is controlling a Stinger brand relay.
The first one was for a Cole Hersee.

I have sent them both diodes to install as pictured.
*crude example shown*
View attachment 351713
I know this is an old post but I had this issue and you helped me fix it and sent me a diode. I am helping my brother setup a dual battery setup soon and want to install the diode. Can we you supply the diode when we order other parts or possibly provide specs for the diode so we can order one? Thanks

Reactions: Smitty335
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I know this is an old post but I had this issue and you helped me fix it and sent me a diode. I am helping my brother setup a dual battery setup soon and want to install the diode. Can we you supply the diode when we order other parts or possibly provide specs for the diode so we can order one? Thanks
Yes, would you take a second to explain the issues you had so people know? And how it hasnt been a issue since we installed this.

I have had several requests to list the item. I will do it here shortly.
If you are ordering soon, just leave a note at checkout and I can include one.

6fd06497aa1ebf8e78ac2c200027eb31

jshafe87

jshafe87

Oct 12, 2021
Decatur, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, would you take a second to explain the issues you had so people know? And how it hasnt been a issue since we installed this.

I have had several requests to list the item. I will do it here shortly.
If you are ordering soon, just leave a note at checkout and I can include one.

View attachment 392267
When I installed my dual battery setup I used the Cole Hersee 24117 solenoid to activate my aux power panel. Within a week of installing everything I noticed the lights on my 3 way aux battery switch weren't working. I replaced the switch with another 3 way I had and the lights blew almost instantly. I contacted the club store and worked with Richard and after some trouble shooting he was able to identify the potential issue. When I replaced the switch this time he included a diode to wire in like the pictures and I am not sure it was totally required but I installed a fuse between my switch and solenoid also. I haven't had any issue since, it was a simple install and I plan to do this when I install the dual battery setup in my brothers 1000-5.

20220827 192104 20220901 171838

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Hondasxs

Curious I just finished installing a stinger brand relay for my auxiliary fuse box yesterday of course( With the awesome key on pigtail btw) and now saw this. All of my switches and accessories after the fuse box, would this still be necessary then? And/ wouldn't the fuse blow from the voltage spike? I unplugged the key on wire just to be safe for now.

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@Hondasxs

Curious I just finished installing a stinger brand relay for my auxiliary fuse box yesterday of course( With the awesome key on pigtail btw) and now saw this. All of my switches and accessories after the fuse box, would this still be necessary then? And/ wouldn't the fuse blow from the voltage spike? I unplugged the key on wire just to be safe for now.
Fuses rate amps, not voltages. So it's high volts but low amps.
Not sure how that collaborates, it's getting above my pay grade. lol.

The issue is from the coil field collapsing (turning off) on the relay (Stinger/Cole).
Sends a split-second voltage spike and blows out the LED's. Simular to how water hammer works.
People have reported tail lights going out, I think this is related to this issue but unsure how to identify or test it.
Another guy replaced 3 tail lights before finding this thread, after this he has not blown one out that I am currently aware of.

What got me involved, was clients blowing out the LED's on the switches I sold. But only the ones controlling these relays had the issues.
Still lots of unknowns here that are outside my knowledge level.

advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I'm not sure what to charge for this, but here it is.

Thanks.

jshafe87

jshafe87

Oct 12, 2021
Decatur, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks.
I think the price seems fair personally and it might be good to offer it in a bundle with the stinger. If I was just ordering that piece the shipping is what really bothers me not the cost of the diode and connectors..

Reactions: Smitty335 and Coeus
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
@Hondasxs, can you bring some of these transgendered diodes with you to MOM? Shipping one costs more than the diode. :/

Reactions: Smitty335 and Coeus
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I know...
Minimal shipping cost is around $4. I think the site charges $5.
I have tried to do stamp shipping with stickers and people get upset when it doesn't have tracking so I have stopped offering that.

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV

Thanks.
$4 seems low to me

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I know...
Minimal shipping cost is around $4. I think the site charges $5.
I have tried to do stamp shipping with stickers and people get upset when it doesn't have tracking so I have stopped offering that.
Oh I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. I know you're just passing along the cost. It's just that it costs so much to ship something so little no matter who you're buying it from.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
$4 seems low to me

The diode itself is not expensive nor are the components to make these. However there's labor involved.

Then again, @Hondasxs needs to make beer money somewhere. 🤣 JK

• Haha
Reactions: Coeus and Smitty335
D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Even with shipping its $9 which is half the price of a quality switch. I just bought one. Thanks @Hondasxs

Reactions: Coeus and Smitty335
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!