Multi Both batteries DEAD with Isolator Installed ????

B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would be willing to bet my testicle that your 2nd battery was not dead. The isolator will isolate when the voltage drops below it's set threshold. What you experienced is the isolator would not close back together because the voltage was too low. Did you actually check your second battery and see if it was dead? If you would have jumpered over the isolator, I would imagine your machine would have fired up.

EDIT** I have lost this testicle atleast 7 times in the past.

P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4
I would be willing to bet my testicle that your 2nd battery was not dead. The isolator will isolate when the voltage drops below it's set threshold. What you experienced is the isolator would not close back together because the voltage was too low. Did you actually check your second battery and see if it was dead? If you would have jumpered over the isolator, I would imagine your machine would have fired up.

LOL😅😅
Well, this could be #8.😢😢😢

When I turned the key on, the LEDs lit up and the double amp meter read something like 5.4 MAIN and 5.4 AUX. That’s when I knew I was in trouble. Can’t remember the exact numbers but both were single digits.

I switched it back off then on... and all was dead. Not a whimper out out starter.

I recharged the starter battery . It cranked and I went for a ride and let it recharge the AUX.

Thx for reply. It’s all FM to me👍👍🤪

B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
LOL😅😅
Well, this could be #8.😢😢😢

When I turned the key on, the LEDs lit up and the double amp meter read something like 5.4 MAIN and 5.4 AUX. That’s when I knew I was in trouble. Can’t remember the exact numbers but both were single digits.

I switched it back off then on... and all was dead. Not a whimper out out starter.

I recharged the starter battery . It cranked and I went for a ride and let it recharge the AUX.

Thx for reply. It’s all FM to me👍👍🤪

Well, because I could not afford to lose that nut one more time, I went out and did exactly as you did with your machine. My Isolator worked exactly as it is supposed to and only my main battery lost voltage. It will only connect the 2 batteries after running for 10 seconds. I suspect you either have a bad isolator or you have wires crossed between your 2 batteries, essentially putting them in parallel at all times. You should be able to turn your key on and turn your headlights on and watch your main battery drain while the voltage on your secondary battery stays constant.

P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well, because I could not afford to lose that nut one more time, I went out and did exactly as you did with your machine. My Isolator worked exactly as it is supposed to and only my main battery lost voltage. It will only connect the 2 batteries after running for 10 seconds. I suspect you either have a bad isolator or you have wires crossed between your 2 batteries, essentially putting them in parallel at all times. You should be able to turn your key on and turn your headlights on and watch your main battery drain while the voltage on your secondary battery stays constant.
That’s incredible and probably correct.
I appreciate you saving that nut ..... although I sense you know what you’re talking about.

Now my curiosity is killing me. Now I have to go try to duplicate what you did.
I hope you’re right so that all I need is a set of jumper cables to get her started👍👍👍👍

Thx again

P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4
Please let me ask you one more question referring to your remarks concerning how the Isolator is wired.
Please confirm that this is correct and matches yours. Can’t imagine how else you would do it????

RED positive goes from MAIN battery to the Isolator and then out the other side of the Isolater to RED positive on AUX

BLACK negative goes from MAIN battery directly to BLACK negative on AUX.

The small black GROUND from the Isolater goes to the AUX battery negative.
Thx

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada

@JTW will take that bet, but he wants a picture of the prize first...

B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Red on isolator is same as mine. Black on Aux battery only goes to my ground bar, which is isolated from the first battery. On my main battery, the only thing hooked to the negative terminal is the original cable from the factory.

B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Couple of quick videos I did this am, showing my isolator functioning.

P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4
Red on isolator is same as mine. Black on Aux battery only goes to my ground bar, which is isolated from the first battery. On my main battery, the only thing hooked to the negative terminal is the original cable from the factory.

Being a Rookie, Where is your 2nd Ground Bar????
Did you run a cable from the AUX Battery Gnd back to the same grounding point as the Main Battery is grounded???

Or did you just drill a hole in frame and bolt the cable from the AUX neg to it???

THX

P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4

AWESOME 👍👍👍
I’ll try to duplicate and see what happens.
Maybe I do have it wired wrong by connecting the Main and Aux Grounds????
I’ll try to video it .
THX👍👍

B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I forgot about my second ground point contact on my second battery. I connected it to the wire that was provided by honda in the spot where the winch would normally hook up. They supplied an extra grounded wire that was taped off. This does essentially tie the negtives together on the batteries. Then I come off the second battery to my 6 position ground bar on my panel.

B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am guessing you have something tied together somewhere.
After drawing it out, I do not see how connecting them the way you have would change anything. It is essentially the same thing.

P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4
AWESOME 👍👍👍
I’ll try to video it .
THX👍👍
I duplicated your video.
It works great!
You did not lose that NUT.
I took a video but when I try to attach it, only photos show up in my Video Library on iPhone???? (Don’t get that either???)

I’ll post it if I figure it out
THANKS AGAIN BBLASER🤩🤩🤩

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your isolator is working correctly your batteries were NOT bridged while your ignition was on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Enigma
P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4
If your isolator is working correctly your batteries were NOT bridged while your ignition was on.
Yep, I guess so . I never even checked the 2nd battery.

I just remember the low single digit readings on the dual amp meters then completely darkness on a crank attempt.

The dual amp meter is wired per instructions which put a hot lead on both sides of the Isolater.

That first switch on could have showed residual voltage then all went dark.?????

OH WELL..Guess I’ll have to try to duplicate it
for peace of mind .

THANK YOU!!

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
JiminAZ is right, having dual volt meters is a great way to check if the circuit is bridged or isolated. That is why they are a good investment when you use two batteries. Good catch. JiminAZ

Reactions: Pilot2016
P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4

I duplicated your video.
It works great!
You did not lose that NUT.
I took a video but when I try to attach it, only photos show up in my Video Library on iPhone???? (Don’t get that either???)

I’ll post it if I figure it out
THANKS AGAIN BBLASER🤩🤩🤩
AWESOME 👍👍👍
I’ll try to video it .
THX👍👍
I hope You can see this video.
I think it’s working . I had sent this video to son and hunting buds.

This forum taught me to use YouTube.
Fingers crossed
THX again for all who helped me with this project👍👍👍👍

ONE DAY SOON... I’ll share the entire build journey
The Isolator appears to work.

Reactions: TripleB
P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4
WHOOPS... I’ll try again to post the video

B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice! Seems like the isolator is working perfectly. Now to figure out why or if indeed your second battery did in fact die as well. Try leaving your key on for a while (hour or so) and go check and see if your second battery drained down as well. If it did, you have something tied to the key on wire/fuse panel somewhere. Looks like you have a seperate Volt meter for your aux battery? If you do and it is powered from your Aux, that will eventually kill your battery if left on over night. If you use that dual meter, with the power source from the main battery, it will not drain your aux battery and still tell you your volts of both. Nice job on the video, looks like you are building a nice ride!

P

Pilot2016

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2019
Rockhill Sc
Ownership

1. 700-4
Nice! Seems like the isolator is working perfectly. Now to figure out why or if indeed your second battery did in fact die as well. Try leaving your key on for a while (hour or so) and go check and see if your second battery drained down as well. If it did, you have something tied to the key on wire/fuse panel somewhere. Looks like you have a seperate Volt meter for your aux battery? If you do and it is powered from your Aux, that will eventually kill your battery if left on over night. If you use that dual meter, with the power source from the main battery, it will not drain your aux battery and still tell you your volts of both. Nice job on the video, looks like you are building a nice ride!
THX BB
You sure were a great help to me.
Thanks for your attention to detail and knowledge!!!!!!
I will do what you suggested and report!!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!