BOX1

P700 Broken frond axle shaft

B

bigbronco

Jun 8, 2016
Canton, Ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
So I Broke the left front axle shaft on my 700/2 this weekend. I looked and could not find a thread on it, if there is one please let me know.

What I am looking for is advise on replacement options. I want to go back stockish need to have a weak link. I don't want to beef them up and bust a part that is more $$$$. I know the local dealer sells them for $130ish. I have seen one on Amazon for $101 with free shipping. Any other options you guys/gals have run across.

Reactions: DGann
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Welcome to forum @bigbronco.

I think it's smart of you to go back stock strength on the axles. I used one of those cheap ones from Amazon on my P700 and it seemed to work fine. It definitely didn't seem any stronger.

I'm curious, how did you break it?

Reactions: DGann
B

bigbronco

Jun 8, 2016
Canton, Ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome to forum @bigbronco.
I'm curious, how did you break it?

I had just tipped the front end off down a hill and my dad called me to come back up. I stopped, put it in 4wd locked diff mode and the reverse, as soon as I touched the throttle the outer u-joint popped. Don't know if that is what Brock it or if it was just done and that's when it broke. We had been running it in Mud and had hit a off-road park with some mild rocky hill climbs

B

bigbronco

Jun 8, 2016
Canton, Ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
well.... here i am again....
was trying to pull a tree put of the trail and broke drivers side axle again...this is the third one in the last 18 months. i gotta stop buying the cheap axles on Amazon I guess.

Rino, factory Honda... and other thoughts'???

Reactions: SundayRdr
M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
All balls started selling axels I bought one broke it first time out they warranted it said must been a bad axel we shall see

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
was trying to pull a tree put of the trail and broke drivers side axle again...this is the third one in the last 18 months. i gotta stop buying the cheap axles on Amazon I guess.

Rhino? I think theyre about 200 each. I buy the cheap amazon ones too. One day ill spring for the expensive ones.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4

Better stay with the cheap ones,You sir are hard on stuff. Axles are cheap compared to front Diffs.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Put on racing slicks and only drive off road so you can't get enough traction to break an axle. Kidding of course.
The only ATV/SxS axle I've ever had to change was when I went with an extended length axle on my 400EX to make it wider. I'm new to SxS's though. Jeep's (and jeep-like vehicles on the other hand) I've had a helping hand in replacing more than I'd like to admit back in the day. I swear some of the guys I went riding changed axles more often than oil in their rigs.

B

Billjones617

Oct 7, 2017
IL
Ownership

1. 700-2
I had just tipped the front end off down a hill and my dad called me to come back up. I stopped, put it in 4wd locked diff mode and the reverse, as soon as I touched the throttle the outer u-joint popped. Don't know if that is what Brock it or if it was just done and that's when it broke. We had been running it in Mud and had hit a off-road park with some mild rocky hill climbs

Yeah, not a good idea. Tell your Dad next time to not distract a driver once he's committed to an obstacle. Especially going downhill. Gravity can be your friend or enemy, your choice usually.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Better stay with the cheap ones,You sir are hard on stuff. Axles are cheap compared to front Diffs.
Think the 700 has enough power to break the diff? I'd run Rhinos and call it good, I'm thinking the 700 will stall before it breaks the diff but who knows?

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Think the 700 has enough power to break the diff? I'd run Rhinos and call it good, I'm thinking the 700 will stall before it breaks the diff but who knows?
I'm not sure,,Because I didn't believe it had enough power to snap a u joint. But @SundayRdr proved me wrong at the Takeover.
But your probably right Mr. Flynn

Reactions: Tflynn
SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
I'm not sure,,Because I didn't believe it had enough power to snap a u joint. But @SundayRdr proved me wrong at the Takeover.
But your probably right Mr. Flynn
The ujoint was worn out. No grease in it or and way to grease it from the factory. I didn't have any squeaks, vibrations or clanking noises typical of a bad ujoint so I deffinantly wouldn't say the 700 "broke it" lol. Way tooo weak for that..

Reactions: swsebek
SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
@Bastardchild @swsebek I thought cheap ebay's specials until I broke an axle 3 days before new year ride. Only have one stock axle left and it's the one I pieced together with broken Ebay special and factory axles. Rhinos are the only way I'll go from here on. You can find discount codes for superatv and when you do/IF break a rhino axle you can buy the inner and outer cups for $79. How many broken axles have you seen that were actually the axle shaft itself on pioneers? They always break the bearing cage and then the cups.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
@Bastardchild @swsebek I thought cheap ebay's specials until I broke an axle 3 days before new year ride. Only have one stock axle left and it's the one I pieced together with broken Ebay special and factory axles. Rhinos are the only way I'll go from here on. You can find discount codes for superatv and when you do/IF break a rhino axle you can buy the inner and outer cups for $79. How many broken axles have you seen that were actually the axle shaft itself on pioneers? They always break the bearing cage and then the cups.
Out of all the axles ive broke i can only remember maybe 2 that were the actual shaft. Youre right, its mainly the cup that breaks.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!