P1000 Brush cutting attachment?

P

phemens

Mar 16, 2021
Montreal, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi there,
We have a 2021 Pioneer 1000-5 with winch, and I have some overgrown trails on a piece of property that I would like to clear out and maintain, talking miles and not feet. Mostly brush and small evergreens, the big stuff I'll clear with my chainsaw.
Wondering if something like a front mounted brush clearing unit is available?
I have a Kimpex click & go plow for the winter, but I don't think that would work too well for clearing the trails in summer...
Thanks in advance!

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi there,
We have a 2021 Pioneer 1000-5 with winch, and I have some overgrown trails on a piece of property that I would like to clear out and maintain, talking miles and not feet. Mostly brush and small evergreens, the big stuff I'll clear with my chainsaw.
Wondering if something like a front mounted brush clearing unit is available?
I have a Kimpex click & go plow for the winter, but I don't think that would work too well for clearing the trails in summer...
Thanks in advance!

Not really. The best thing I can think of is a tow behind mower. Not sure they're up for the challenge though..... Rent, borrow, trade for a skidsteer or tractor with the proper attachments. Your Pioneer will thank you. Do you have a buddy or someone at Church etc who has said equipment? You could help them split some wood etc etc. Not sure if you have a craigslist for your area but you could post a want ad in the farm and garden section or you might even find a guy on there with the setup.... and he likes to work for beer money. You might even make a friend out of the deal. By the way.....welcome to the Pionner sxs club! Post up some pics of your machine.

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The issue is speed.

even in low range you won’t be able to go slow enough. I have a DR offset brush mower and I simply cannot go the 1-2 mph in my P1k5…the clutches really don’t like it.

I now pull it with a cheap rider mower I pulled the deck off of.

I went down this path and ended up with a small used 30hp diesel Gehl Skid steer that I fixed up with brush grapple, puller, bucket, and a Stihl brush saw.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The issue is speed.

even in low range you won’t be able to go slow enough. I have a DR offset brush mower and I simply cannot go the 1-2 mph in my P1k5…the clutches really don’t like it.

I now pull it with a cheap rider mower I pulled the deck off of.

I went down this path and ended up with a small used 30hp diesel Gehl Skid steer that I fixed up with brush grapple, puller, bucket, and a Stihl brush saw.
I have the same skid steer as in this video.

Not the biggest, not a bobcat, but they are made in USA and easy to work on. Has a Yanmar diesel under the hood.

I bought mine used just before covid really took off with bald tires and 3000 hrs for $9500. Put new rubber on it some small fixes and brush grapple and tree /post puller for around $12k in total. With the puller I can pull a 5 in diameter pine tree in soft soil. Could pull more with a bigger skid loader.

I know it’s not what you want to hear, but it’s the best route.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have the same skid steer as in this video.

Not the biggest, not a bobcat, but they are made in USA and easy to work on. Has a Yanmar diesel under the hood.

I bought mine used just before covid really took off with bald tires and 3000 hrs for $9500. Put new rubber on it some small fixes and brush grapple and tree /post puller for around $12k in total. With the puller I can pull a 5 in diameter pine tree in soft soil. Could pull more with a bigger skid loader.

I know it’s not what you want to hear, but it’s the best route.

Yep you're right. A skidsteer especially on tracks is just about the best trail maintenance machine a guy could have, rent or borrow. You can rent a bazzillion attachments. I'll add that to my above comment.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have an old 8N Ford tractor with a 5' bush hog that I use to keep my trails open.

(Works great for those of us old enough to know what points and a condenser are!)

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have an old 8N Ford tractor with a 5' bush hog that I use to keep my trails open.

(Works great for those of us old enough to know what points and a condenser are!)

LOL! They make electronic ignition for those now. Had it in my 8n. It was nice just don't leave the dang key on or you'll fry it.

Reactions: Lady01
T

treeguy27

Sep 27, 2020
Mo
I second the skid steer option.
I'd also be concerned about the tires on your pioneer being punctured by the short stobbs the brush cutter would leave behind.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Homebuilt Kamikaze brush clearing device
I’ve seen these before…better wear a helmet as you’ll plant your self into the windshield likely.

Reactions: Lady01 and Prntckt
Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First, welcome to the club from Minnesota. I second using a tractor or skid steer to clear the trails. Those machines are made for that type of work, the low speed lugging, pioneers are really not. It's only going to put extra wear and tear on your sxs. I have a 5 ft brush mower on the back of my tractor, works great, and I can run the loader bucket really low to catch stuff buried in the grass or brush. Also they make tractor and skid steer attachments to do just about anything. Good luck.

Reactions: Farmer and Lady01
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve seen these before…better wear a helmet as you’ll plant your self into the windshield likely.
I can see that happening.

I didn't think that thing was very efficient. I mean, if the trails are massively overgrown, I can see it getting them more open, but it looks like it'd leave the trails a mess, with a lot of eye-level sticks pointing out at you.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Or how to "test" the durability of the Pioneer's clutches - without the requisite a mud bog!

Reactions: Farmer and Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!