Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Does anyone have any experience with turning an enclosed trailer into a weekend camper/ toy hauler?
I went looking at new toyhaulers last weekend . ( We have a 32ft 5er now)So im thinking aboult buying a 18ft enclosed trailer and a#ding enough aminities to use it for short trips with the UTV.
Thknking a small fridge,AC,sink,and a few cabinets and the boss is saying a small shower.

RyanOrange3

RyanOrange3

Oct 13, 2016
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Soooo, you want to pull a cabin around with you?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW and Tramguage1
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Does anyone have any experience with turning an enclosed trailer into a weekend camper/ toy hauler?
I went looking at new toyhaulers last weekend . ( We have a 32ft 5er now)So im thinking aboult buying a 18ft enclosed trailer and a#ding enough aminities to use it for short trips with the UTV.
Thknking a small fridge,AC,sink,and a few cabinets and the boss is saying a small shower.

6fe7b34925ccb17e3a27dae998388f09Bc97584f59f5c1b8737568a27c382316

Somewhat lol. But it had a motor. Be a friend to eBay. The 3way fridge and awning are the expense everything else is 100$ for the most part but there are a lot of those 100$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
View attachment 27137View attachment 27138

Somewhat lol. But it had a motor. Be a friend to eBay. The 3way fridge and awning are the expense everything else is 100$ for the most part but there are a lot of those 100$.

You know @CumminsPusher...I've always considered you a gifted craftsman but the work you've done on your toyhauler is art! Did you document this build by any chanceo_O! That transformation is impressive;)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You know @CumminsPusher...I've always considered you a gifted craftsman but the work you've done on your toyhauler is art! Did you document this build by any chanceo_O! That transformation is impressive;)

Some of it's documented I took pics along the way but most was before my iPhone lol.
The bus was tough but to make something to get out and be able to enjoy yourself is worth it. I applaud you Tramguage1 for coming up with something to make it easy to do that. A trailer will work much better for you because your cargo is a little different then ours was at the time. It does cost a bit more then someone would think but you really do get what is needed for you and still save some coin I say do it and enjoy yourself you have the room and ability!

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
We really like our 5er, but thinking the triler will make lonv weekend trips with the Pioneer much easier

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

sajnaj

sajnaj

Jul 5, 2015
clinton indiana
I met a guy in Sturgis that had this kind of rig all he did was a sheet floor a rooftop ac unit and had a trailer with a side door. I would like something like this but I do not need a shower or toilet.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Outside shower is easy and a total of 100. Instant on hot water(rather then inefficient tank) 100 good blue flame heater with computer fan forced air 100 new range 100. It's really not bad and can be very efficient much more so then one you buy. Solar 8d deep cycles,led, hot water going to one area and water all traveling uphill with one drain at the lowest point (no winterizing) fold down beds. A genny isn't even necessary for micro. A couple of things that make it easier to just go and stay gone. Some build fancy some build useful and it sounds like you're looking for useful my friend

Reactions: sharp
E

Edog

Jan 7, 2016
I'm looking to do the same thing. Found some really good inspiration on YouTube. Two of my favorites are this detailed one with a great section on electrical
And this conversion on a low budget:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have been doing the same, youtube ,pintrest and google. The boss wants a small shower so it will have one. Im liking the idea more and more. I already have a 4k generator, gas heaters and cook stoves. So i only really need the shower stall and countertops for work space.
I notice that the walls and floors are not insulated, so going to see if i can order a trailer without the interior covered. Good awning and maybe screened porch would be really nice.

E

Edog

Jan 7, 2016
From the research I've been doing, insulation will be the first project. I'm currently thinking this denim insulation UltraTouch 24.25 in. x 94 in. R19 Denim Insulation (8-Bags)-10003-01924 - The Home Depot
Hopefully as simple as taking off the plywood walls that come with the trailer, sticking the insulation on the aluminum wall and putting the plywood back. We'll see.
Lots of decisions to make, mostly related to the budget. I like the idea of keeping it cheap and using mainly stuff I already own. For the shower stall I'm considering just using a plastic storage bucket to stand in and hanging a shower curtain into it to keep water contained. It would take up no space when not in use. I already have a camping shower set I could use.
But if the wife wants to use it too, I may have to go fancier (more expensive).

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
From the research I've been doing, insulation will be the first project. I'm currently thinking this denim insulation UltraTouch 24.25 in. x 94 in. R19 Denim Insulation (8-Bags)-10003-01924 - The Home Depot
Hopefully as simple as taking off the plywood walls that come with the trailer, sticking the insulation on the aluminum wall and putting the plywood back. We'll see.
Lots of decisions to make, mostly related to the budget. I like the idea of keeping it cheap and using mainly stuff I already own. For the shower stall I'm considering just using a plastic storage bucket to stand in and hanging a shower curtain into it to keep water contained. It would take up no space when not in use. I already have a camping shower set I could use.

That stuff is cool!! Wonder how well you could cut it in 1" thicknesses

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Isn't that 5-1/2" thick????

E

Edog

Jan 7, 2016
Isn't that 5-1/2" thick????

Good point. I'm still in the research stage. I may have to go with a lower R rating, or use the pink sheets that most others seem to use. If I decide to go the cheap route, I wonder if bubble wrap would work?

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
What about the foil backed duct board used to make AC ducts in houses?

E

Edog

Jan 7, 2016
A quick Google search showed that bubblewrap is a terrible idea :). Foil backed duct board seems a little expensive from looking at the prices and the one I saw only gave an R rating of six.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Good point. I'm still in the research stage. I may have to go with a lower R rating, or use the pink sheets that most others seem to use. If I decide to go the cheap route, I wonder if bubble wrap would work?

Unless you're going to fir the inside walls out, you've probably only got 1" of insulation space. If you compressed that insulation you put in your op into an inch space (if you even could) you'd destroy its RV. 5-8 RV is the best you'll do with the various foam boards that would fit right in behind the plywood.

Reactions: Edog and JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!