Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It's easiest to add a thin wall. After pulling all the steel paneling throughout the inside we used regular insulation in between the 1 in steel beams then build thin walls with 1 x 2 sideways over that and used fiberboard (pink) in between those studs, adhesive sprayed those on. Also spray foamed any gap. That's an important step no matter what you're using! Spray in between the studs and insulation makes it VERY strong too. Probably have 100 cans used throughout. They also work great around wiring, water and plumbing lines but use around all your gas lines especially. It's nice to continue down dirt roads without problems. Make sure to glue and screw for anything because nails and staples come out and rattle. We then used a wood paneling over that for a nice feel. Used automotive grade two part urethane over the studs and adhesive cement over the foam to hold that so no nails but did use screws under windows and trim. Don't use cheap paper paneling it falls apart.
8816ca3cf8b64cf0ab3b214cb43a6717

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
How about a spray foam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

E

Edog

Jan 7, 2016
Unless you're going to fir the inside walls out, you've probably only got 1" of insulation space. If you compressed that insulation you put in your op into an inch space (if you even could) you'd destroy its RV. 5-8 RV is the best you'll do with the various foam boards that would fit right in behind the plywood.

Thanks @Montecresto, that's good feedback.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Montecresto
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well i did a little shopping this weekend, found that i need a minimum of 6'11" clearance to allow for loading my 700-4. After looking a little Im leaning towards a 22ft X 8.5 wide X 7'6" tall car hauler.
This should give me plenty of living space and the ability to load my UTV and another if needed. How long is a 1000?

Reactions: bweeden1
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We did the same thing to a 24' enclosed trailer. White 1"styrofoam on the walls and ceiling. Robbed the propane fridge, stove top, and heater from a guy that was parting out a motor home from craiglist. Used cheap utility room cabinets. Two steps forward then one back. I don't know how many times I pulled the walls back off to run more wires putting in more lights out side. I used 3 group 35 truck batteries for the 1500w inverter. But I think my best mod Was cutting doors into the floor to get the straps and tools out of the cabinets.

J

JTW

Just curious.. what's a realistic build budget including trailer on something like this? Seems to me if I were doing it I'd probably have 10-15k in it at least.

Also, if you're really going to do it. Start watching some of the tiny house shows.. you'll get a ton of good small space ideas!

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
We did the same thing to a 24' enclosed trailer. White 1"styrofoam on the walls and ceiling. Robbed the propane fridge, stove top, and heater from a guy that was parting out a motor home from craiglist. Used cheap utility room cabinets. Two steps forward then one back. I don't know how many times I pulled the walls back off to run more wires putting in more lights out side. I used 3 group 35 truck batteries for the 1500w inverter. But I think my best mod Was cutting doors into the floor to get the straps and tools out of the cabinets.
I think you are right on the numbers, the first price i got on a custom build insulated trailer is 13k. Thats 10k capacity, 7'6" interior height with a couple windows and pre wire for roof ac and 2 inside and 1 outside 110vac plugs.

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I can go a little shorter and narrower on the trailer but its not a whole lot more to have the ability to be able to transport a full size vehicle or multiple toys.
Also i already have a 2500 GMC tow vehicle, so no problem towing a larger trailer.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll be right along with ya tram, I'm starting a micro camper build soon to tow behind the Honda for my cross country trip. I hate tents. I'll be going smaller a bit though. Lol. I'm using a harbor freight 4x8 cut down to 6 ft or so.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I was around 6-7k but bought a lot of things used. Like the trailer, and the appliances.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tramguage1 and JTW
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My only complaint is I did it to the wrong trailer. The door is not tall enough. I have to air the tires down to pull the 1000 in

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'll be right along with ya tram, I'm starting a micro camper build soon to tow behind the Honda for my cross country trip. I hate tents. I'll be going smaller a bit though. Lol. I'm using a harbor freight 4x8 cut down to 6 ft or so.
Like a tear drop?

Reactions: moparornocar
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
A lot of guys in the mud truck community take baby pop-up campers and mount them on the top of the gooseneck part of the trailer and then have all the rest of the open lower deck for a mud truck and the rest of the toys and gear. The same could be done on a bumper pull. I have even seen the campers that you slide in the back of your truck mounted on gooseneck trailers. The part of the camper that would normally hang over the truck cab hangs over the front of the gooseneck. There is normally a gap between the camper overhang and the gooseneck that when enclosed makes great storage space for long items such as picnic tables, pop up canopies, etc.. You can also frame in the lower part of the camper where the trucks wheel wells would slide through when its in the back of the truck, after they are framed in they make excellent storage also. I have a feeling you're leaning towarda the whole thing being enclosed. One thing about the open deck toy hauler is it doesn't matter how big of a lift or tires you have on your sxs, it will still fit. I look forward to your build pics. :)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Something along those lines. Not sure of the final shape yet, but functionally similar minus the kitchen
That's way cool. I've always wanted to do something like that and hope I still do one day. So you're just wanting sleeping quarters?

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's way cool. I've always wanted to do something like that and hope I still do one day. So you're just wanting sleeping quarters?
Sleeping, storage, carrying fuel, tools and spares. I've been pricing ready built cargo trailers today. 2k for a 4x6 seems stupid to me when I can build one my way for well under 500.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
A lot of guys in the mud truck community take baby pop-up campers and mount them on the top of the gooseneck part of the trailer and then have all the rest of the open lower deck for a mud truck and the rest of the toys and gear. The same could be done on a bumper pull. I have even seen the campers that you slide in the back of your truck mounted on gooseneck trailers. The part of the camper that would normally hang over the truck cab hangs over the front of the gooseneck. There is normally a gap between the camper overhang and the gooseneck that when enclosed makes great storage space for long items such as picnic tables, pop up canopies, etc.. You can also frame in the lower part of the camper where the trucks wheel wells would slide through when its in the back of the truck, after they are framed in they make excellent storage also. I have a feeling you're leaning towarda the whole thing being enclosed. One thing about the open deck toy hauler is it doesn't matter how big of a lift or tires you have on your sxs, it will still fit. I look forward to your build pics. :)
I have seen many of these type of gooseneck rigs. ( just sold my rock crawler) only problem is your toy is exposed to the weather and eyeballs that are loking to ruin you trip!
So thats why in going enclosed. Being in South Texas im thinking trips to Tennessee, Arizona, Colorado and maybe Idaho in my future. Also staying in motels while traveling to and from. Dont think the wife is going to go for more than 3 to 4 days at a time.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!