P1000 Bumper bolts broke off!!

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Long cold chisel and big hammer. Went through hole where winch hawse mounts and beat the tacked nut off back. Pain in the ass for sure. Once got bumper off I removed all the nuts and just went with new nuts and bolts not welded to frame. It’s a pain to get nuts on though so I am going to attach some good ones to frame next time bumper is off

D

DevinCoulon

Aug 14, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Long cold chisel and big hammer. Went through hole where winch hawse mounts and beat the tacked nut off back. Pain in the ass for sure. Once got bumper off I removed all the nuts and just went with new nuts and bolts not welded to frame. It’s a pain to get nuts on though so I am going to attach some good ones to frame next time bumper is off

Awesome. Thank you for speedy reply. Helps a lot!

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Old thread, but I'd be tempted to run the remainder of the bolt forward through the nut (assuming it wasn't terribly deformed)

Or if I drilled I'd use a left hand drill which would likely grab and back it out. If that didn't work then a bolt extractor (depending on what I could fit in there).

Also I'd think about grade 5 replacement bolt instead of grade 8. Grade 8 doesn't like shock loads.

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Problem is it bolts from the outside and without all four entire bolts out you have no access to inside because bumper won’t come off

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think you could access from the outside with a left hand drill bit. and then an extractor if the bit didn't grab it.

Something like this - with the broken stud pre treated with a nice dose of Kroil or PB Blaster and maybe a little heat. Then whack the broken stud remnant with a center punch to both break it lose and create a start point for the drill.

Last edited:
aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah very possible and worth a try. The stock bolts are s*** and mine broke off at an angle with the threads stretched. I tried everything before knocking the nuts loose inside. I do plan to have the new nuts tacked to the inside next time I have bumper off and use better bolts

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
You don’t want stock Honda bolts. They are very soft. If you can get one out go March it up at hardware with a grade 8 or better. I put standard bolts and tacked the new nuts in.
I agree, just went through this; broke 3 of the 6. Go with better hardware.

J

jemartz1990

Jun 11, 2020
Landisburg, Pa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Appreciate the advice I'll be going today for new bolts. I got 3 outta the four top bolts in after a good amount of effort. The last bolt I couldn't for the life of me get it hand threaded in. It was difficult by myself to get the winch mount and bumper lined up. Needless to say the last bolt I never got threaded and beat the threads. Thanks for the advice on new hardware.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!