P1000m3 Burning Smell

S

Shannon840

Apr 2, 2016
Nova Scotia
We live beside an old abandoned rail line in Nova Scotia so most of my running is on the hundreds of miles old track bed. Last Sunday we had 2 feet of new snow and by Monday afternoon the snowmobile groomers had groomed the the track.

So Tuesday I headed out on the track bed to take the dogs for a walk. I started out in 4wd high cruising at 10 to 12 mph but the machine seemed to be laboring really hard. Almost shuddering. Had only gone a 1/4 mile if that and I stopped to put it in 4WD low but when I stepped on it again it started to dig itself a hole and not move. So I put it in reverse and backed up to get a bit of a run on and immediately got a burning smell. Put it back in 4wd high and gunned it out of the hole Low had dug me and immediately jumped off the track onto the asphalt and beat it home. When I turned the rig off in the barn there was still a slight burning smell. Ran it in my plowed driveway the next day and it seemed fine.

Guess the moral of the story is not to run on packed snow. I've followed the discussion on here about clutch issues closely. Guess there's nothing I can but just wondering if I've caused myself a clutch job prematurely.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It doesn't sound like a clutch issue to me, it sounds more like something is out of adjustment. Just guessing. Your on the right forum, someone will have the answer do you by the end of the day.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Release the brake

Reactions: JTW
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know when i was last up in the snow. We ran through some deep stuff and the wife freaked out after some snow got on the exhaust and made a bad steamy smell. She thought we were gonna catch fire. Could that be what you smelled

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Reactions: AKRider
S

Shannon840

Apr 2, 2016
Nova Scotia
I know when i was last up in the snow. We ran through some deep stuff and the wife freaked out after some snow got on the exhaust and made a bad steamy smell. She thought we were gonna catch fire. Could that be what you smelled

Thanks I hope you're right and that's all it is! you're rig handled it all right - didn't feel like it was straining too bad to get through the snow?

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I could definitely feel the load of the snow againts the machine. But all is still fine. Snow sucks up a lot of power when you are deep in it

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Good call on that. Hopefully that is the problem here. I've been through some nasty muskeg and when it's wet it smells really bad.

Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm with the rest of you, snow and or muddy water does smell pretty bad on the exhaust. Lol. The only issue I have with my P1K3 is that in snow(esp. packy or deeper) it really like to chatter (a lot). Not sure if it is clutch issue or design. I do get a little chatter when crawling over larger rocks and rough terrain.

S

Shannon840

Apr 2, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm with the rest of you, snow and or muddy water does smell pretty bad on the exhaust. Lol. The only issue I have with my P1K3 is that in snow(esp. packy or deeper) it really like to chatter (a lot). Not sure if it is clutch issue or design. I do get a little chatter when crawling over larger rocks and rough terrain.

Exactly. If the snow is packed enough the wheels can't get to ground and yet not packed enough to hold them on top it's a pretty ugly ride - shuddering, chattering or whatever you want to call it can't be good on the drive train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did you conclude the smell is steamed snow?

I hope that's all it was.

advertisement
S

Shannon840

Apr 2, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'd hope you didn't smell the clutch since it's a "wet" type. You'd have way bigger issues if you could smell it haha.

A mechanical. Midget exposed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!