Can I get some guidance on lifting my Talon a bit?

I

Irgu4u

Nov 22, 2020
OHIO
Ownership

1. Talon X
My profile:
- older rider doing trails in Tenn and KY, and riding some back paved roads in Ohio; I have a stock 2021 Talon 1000X
- I am finding on the trails that I am bottoming out a lot from shorter belly height than most; I just want to get through safe
- I am considering a lift and 32" tires to solve these issues.

*I found this product, but can't find anyone that has experience with it: HONDA lift kits & accessories
I just don't know which way to go.

*I am considering these tires: Fuel Gripper T/R/K (Fuel Gripper T/R/K) in 32X10R15 on my stock wheels to replace my stock tires. I am told they will fit on my stock wheels; I don't want to replace wheels and get beadlocks, and I am told these have strong sidewalls. I am also told that these tires will hold up well on pavement.

*Will I need wheel spacers, and if so, what do I order for those in what sizes?

Your thoughts and advice for a newbie?

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Run 32s and adjust your shocks to give you a little more ride height. Get a good skid plate and go for it. I ride TN a lot with a 4 seater and 32s. I do bottom out, but that's why I have a good skid.

Lifting it thru brackets will increase strain on axles. Portals would be the only other option.

I

Irgu4u

Nov 22, 2020
OHIO
Ownership

1. Talon X
"Run 32s and adjust your shocks to give you a little more ride height."
- How do I adjust shocks for more ride height?

"Get a good skid plate"
- I am looking for a good UHMW skid plate, got any recommendations?

"Lifting it thru brackets will increase strain on axles."
- Is there another way to lift, other than portals, that would not increase strain?

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
"Run 32s and adjust your shocks to give you a little more ride height."
- How do I adjust shocks for more ride height?

"Get a good skid plate"
- I am looking for a good UHMW skid plate, got any recommendations?

"Lifting it thru brackets will increase strain on axles."
- Is there another way to lift, other than portals, that would not increase strain?
- Body of shock is threaded. Take weight off of shock, us spanner wrench to screw the retainer down. Maybe add an inch to it. Adding to much will add preload to springs and stiffen ride. I swapped to Bandit tender springs on my X and it added a bit of ride height and help there ride some.

- If running nerf bars I like factoryutv brand skid super tough. If I was to do it again, I would not run the nerf bars and go with the trail armor skid. It wraps up along the sides for more protection and less to hang up on withought the bars. It has a bit of a built in rail to help keep stuff off the sides. .

- Portals would be easy on axles but would add some strain on arms, hubs and such. I have no experience with portals.

- With 32s on the X you will rub when turning unless you get offset front arms.

Josh97stang

Josh97stang

Sep 12, 2020
Sheridan, AR
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have a 2019 1000X. I have the Trail Armor skid plate that wraps up the sides. The picture shows it wrapping up the sides. I have 32" Tusk Terrabites on factory rims. I do not rub much if any when turning at full compression. This gave me the height I was wanting and now I do not bottom out anymore. I also originally swapped out to the Bandit Tender springs which helped with the harsh ride and also was able to gain a little height with it. Maybe an inch. I have since had shock work done and have the Bandit tender springs up for sale. I did put 1.5" wheel spacers on the rear.
C21EC696 1794 4B96 874F CE0BD91BA753

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’m also a fan of Trail Armor’s 1/2” skid. With it, skidding across the ROCKIES is much less traumatic for me. :oops: I’m only running 30” tires (on my R) because of the extreme altitudes I ride at, 32’s would overpower the gearing (30’s almost do in some situations).

Vondy covered raising height by tightening the preload - measure your ground clearance on a flat surface and tighten them until you gain an inch (more is going to mess with the geometry). Remember to allow for the added height of the tires when measuring ground clearance.

TA’s site Talon photo, you can see how well it wraps up the sides.

sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I have the super atv 3in lift on my R and a buddy did the 2in on his X both of us are on 32s the lift and tire dramatically changed the suspension feel on mine and his machine for the good I also added about 3/4 of preload to both. Now focusing on the X he rubbed on front with 32s on stock wheels and 1.5 wheel spacers on rear went to sb3 5+2 wheels and that helped him on rubbing along with stability making machine wider we are in WV and ride outlaws and old trail systems that alot don't know of so width hasn't been an issue for us I'm 72in wide hes 70.5, just my experience I would recommend the satv lift and maybe 31s for the X along with fullskids

I

Irgu4u

Nov 22, 2020
OHIO
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have the super atv 3in lift on my R and a buddy did the 2in on his X both of us are on 32s the lift and tire dramatically changed the suspension feel on mine and his machine for the good I also added about 3/4 of preload to both. Now focusing on the X he rubbed on front with 32s on stock wheels and 1.5 wheel spacers on rear went to sb3 5+2 wheels and that helped him on rubbing along with stability making machine wider we are in WV and ride outlaws and old trail systems that alot don't know of so width hasn't been an issue for us I'm 72in wide hes 70.5, just my experience I would recommend the satv lift and maybe 31s for the X along with fullskids
Thanks sspeederr!

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have 31" tires on my talon with super atv a-arms, and a trail armor skid plate.

I have 15" in the front, and 14" in the rear for clearance to the bottom of the skid plate. Those 1/2" plastic skid plates are pretty slick. Even if you hang up on something you can slide right off pretty easy.

Here is my build thread. Post 46 and beyond is where I adjust my preload. I did add bandit tender springs which helped the ride quality a lot.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!