P1000 Can't say ya didn't tell me so...

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well 400 miles and one trip to Hatfield McCoy and I discovered this during clean up
:(
Guess I'll spend tonight combing the "wheels and tires" section before I start asking questions that have been answered:D

IMG 20181007 190147507

Last edited:
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
14-15 per the book/ tire pressure guidance on here. I was terrified of blowing out a sidewall, I didn't even have this on my radar. Would a thicker ply have even made a difference here?

Reactions: BWAF
knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
a heavier ply tire will work wonders more plus is stronger against rocks what's your main riding terrain

Reactions: Plumber32 and BWAF
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
a heavier ply tire will work wonders more plus is stronger against rocks what's your main riding terrain
We mainly just ride around the farm (gravel/dirt). Hardpack mostly, just run into a little mud now and again if we go down to West Virginia.

I have a brand new set of 29 inch bighorn 2's for the front from my last utv. I knew this would eventually happen, I had just hoped it would have taken longer. My initial thought is I could pick up a pair of 8 ply 29 inch tusk knock offs for the rear and use those, or just buy 4 new terrabites.

It pains me to replace it before it starts leaking, but I know with a gash like that it's only a matter of time.

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
you could see if a tire shop can patch it or try repairing it it's worth a shot. just ride it till it leaks and take a plug kit and plug it I have had plugs in a gash in mine for over a year and still good to go

hardlyworkin

hardlyworkin

Aug 5, 2016
Beckley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in the same boat. My stock bighorns have tons of gashes and plugs in them but they just won't wear out. I'm at just under 1,000 miles and they probably aren't even half tread yet so it is really hard to justify new tires. I'll probably give in and just replace them in the spring just because I'm tired of plugging them and I have zero confidence in them getting me home.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Knuckledeep do plugs hold well on a gash that size? Around the farm I don't care as much, but I hate to stands myself on the side of a mountain and have to call someone. That sounds more expensive than replacing them now.

I've plugged four wheeler tires before, but something this heavy I have no experience with.

Hardlyworkin: exactly! 430 something not and I still have tits on them in places! The turf mode really let's you get the most out of them (comparing to the RZR I had whose bighorns were half gone by now)

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had a gash in the sidewalk of my tires I put the tire plug cement and it has 6 plugs in it and has been good for over a year if your really worried about it the auto parts stores sell a plug patch combo. u break the bead on clean the inside of the tire and it self sticks a patch on the back and a plug comes through the hole works awsome on car tires

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!