P500 Carlisle Versa Trail ATR

M

MNP500

Sep 19, 2017
SW Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
I'm new here and hail from Minnesota. Taking delivery of a 2016 Pioneer 500 (holdover) soon and been stuck with the tire dilemma.

I see a ton of positive reviews of both Bighorn and 2.0's and limited reviews of the AT "truck" type tire like the Frontiers, Ceros and fairly new Carlisle Versa Trail. Have you guys run across these tires yet? Pondering a "small" 27 or "big" 26 tire for trail riding (specifically Black Hills) and gravel roads and occasional pavement. What I'm saying is I'd like to be pretty close to 26 inches +/- .5" with 8-10 PSI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'm new here and hail from Minnesota. Taking delivery of a 2016 Pioneer 500 (holdover) soon and been stuck with the tire dilemma.

I see a ton of positive reviews of both Bighorn and 2.0's and limited reviews of the AT "truck" type tire like the Frontiers, Ceros and fairly new Carlisle Versa Trail. Have you guys run across these tires yet? Pondering a "small" 27 or "big" 26 tire for trail riding (specifically Black Hills) and gravel roads and occasional pavement. What I'm saying is I'd like to be pretty close to 26 inches +/- .5" with 8-10 PSI.

No experience with the AT tires but if you're climbing hills or going through sand or mud it'll do much better with the BH's. They're radials which give you a little better ride. Getting stuck just sucks.

M

MNP500

Sep 19, 2017
SW Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Ceros on my p500....very happy with them

Thank you

Are they measuring up to 26? How do they handle out on the trail? What kind of terrain do you typically ride?

M

MNP500

Sep 19, 2017
SW Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
No experience with the AT tires but if you're climbing hills or going through sand or mud it'll do much better with the BH's. They're radials which give you a little better ride. Getting stuck just sucks.

I agree they're awesome tires just worry about a couple miles of pavement. What's your experience with how they wear on pavement?

bkduckworth

bkduckworth

Feb 7, 2015
Ownership

1. 700-4
IMG 3960
I just mounted up a set of the Versa Trails on my 700. They ride great and get pretty good traction. Just riding around the woods and through some shallow mud at the house they grip just fine. I've only had to use 4wd climbing a really steep hill with tall wet grass. I put 27x22-12s on the rear and 27x9-12s on the front. They measure about 26.5" on the 700 with about 12 lbs of air. Time will tell how well they wear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckerbird
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I agree they're awesome tires just worry about a couple miles of pavement. What's your experience with how they wear on pavement?

Haven't done much pavement riding with them, just occasionally. Those Versa Trails look like they have a pretty aggressive tread pattern though.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put a pari of Ceros on my 700 a couple of summers ago and they seemed to do very well trail riding and even on pavement around town. The problem I have developed with them, is the front have started cracking between the center and outside lugs. This has made numerous pin holes that leak and I if I contently didn't check them, I was running pretty flat after a couple of days. This weekend I put some tubes in them to get the rest of the life out of them. I attribute the cracking to my snow plow in the winter and believe turning with the weight of it lifted caused them to crack. The tread is still excellent after 2700 miles so I hated to junk them but just thought I would put that out there.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I put a pari of Ceros on my 700 a couple of summers ago and they seemed to do very well trail riding and even on pavement around town. The problem I have developed with them, is the front have started cracking between the center and outside lugs. This has made numerous pin holes that leak and I if I contently didn't check them, I was running pretty flat after a couple of days. This weekend I put some tubes in them to get the rest of the life out of them. I attribute the cracking to my snow plow in the winter and believe turning with the weight of it lifted caused them to crack. The tread is still excellent after 2700 miles so I hated to junk them but just thought I would put that out there.
I've had similar problems on a 2 different tires (Roctanes and Ripsaws). What kind of pressure did you run?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I usually run about 15-18, but I think they might have got a little lower in the cold weather. The problem with plowing in the winter, is you just want to get out there, get it done, and get back in so I didn't keep as good an eye on the tires as I should. I think with normal utv usage they are great tires, but this was my experience with them after plowing this winter. Another contributor to them cracking and is my fault, is a I don't have a heated storage for the utv. I usually keep the plow off the ground to keep it from freezing to the ground when parked, so the tires are always caring the extra weight. My next set will be some lt pickup tires and then I'll never have to worry about them again.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I usually run about 15-18, but I think they might have got a little lower in the cold weather. The problem with plowing in the winter, is you just want to get out there, get it done, and get back in so I didn't keep as good an eye on the tires as I should. I think with normal utv usage they are great tires, but this was my experience with them after plowing this winter. Another contributor to them cracking and is my fault, is a I don't have a heated storage for the utv. I usually keep the plow off the ground to keep it from freezing to the ground when parked, so the tires are always caring the extra weight. My next set will be some lt pickup tires and then I'll never have to worry about them again.
That's a lot more than i was running. I had the issues, but never heard of anyone else, and wondered if my tendency to run lower pressures was the culprit. The Roctanes started cracking in the little tread blocks in the side of the tires so badly that Discount tire warrantied them out.

Reactions: tjoreo
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X

Just put a set of maxis Bighorn 2.0 on mine and they seem great so far . Better ride then stock by far and they seem good everywhere .
Same time I put ripsaws on my rzr AWESOME traction but the tread is 1 1/4" ! They are a little wiggle waggle on pavement or hard pack .

H

hoggr9

Sep 10, 2014
Xenia, IL
Ownership

1. 500
I have ridden everything with my Ceros. Trails, mud,snow,pavement.
Very pleased...nice ride , good traction.
If memory serves me I think they measured up I hair short like 25-3/4"
Have bout 500 miles on them and look new

Reactions: rocmar
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Just a thought about keeping plow off the ground to keep from freezing. Try lowering the plow onto 2 short 4x4's or better yet, when I lived in Michigan I cut a plastic pallet and set the blade on my jeep on the plastic so it didn't freeze to the ground, and the plastic won't absorb water from melting snow either. Saves both tires and front suspension from being under constant load.

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!