P1000 CB radio issues

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Here's one for you guys/gals. I belong to a ATV club in our area and we use CB radios to comunicate between the leaders and tail end riders ,when we have rides etc: . Here's my problem my radio picks up my Electronic steering and I have to turn my squelch right down in order to get rid of the static., which lowers my comunication distance . I've tried connecting a seperate battery and even installed a filter. Nothing I've done has helped get rid of the static. You also have to realize that when I have the machine off and the steering isn't activated there's no problem . The other strange thing just brought to my attention yesterday is that when I'm close to the others guys and there machines there radios pick up my electronic steering and they need to turn down there squelch as well . Anyone have any ideas of what I can do to get /stop this problem from happening . Other then that my radio picks them up and there's picks mine up when were under 1/2 mile apart .

Reactions: Smittyp
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Add a chasis ground to your radio and or antenna
The Antenna is mounted to the roll bar metal frame . Were all using NGP [no ground plane ] antennas . due to plastic bodies. I could add a grd wire direct to the roll bar from the radio itself ,however the radios mount is connected to the roll bar ,plus the wire's that plug into the radio are one live and one grd. I can try and see if that makes a difference .

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you also try a ground loop isolator?

Car Power Filter EMI Noise Ground Loop Isolator Suppressor for Auto Stereo Audio Radio Stereos Amplifier Amp Speaker Equalizer Subwoofer 12V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S8VKG99/?tag=sxsweb24-20

***And make sure the antenna wire and power wire are not on top of each other(seperate them).

Last edited:
Smittyp

Smittyp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 3, 2020
Morgan co. Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
I had the same problem. Ground loop isolator worked for me

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada

Car Power Filter EMI Noise Ground Loop Isolator Suppressor for Auto Stereo Audio Radio Stereos Amplifier Amp Speaker Equalizer Subwoofer 12V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S8VKG99/?tag=sxsweb24-20

***And make sure the antenna wire and power wire are not on top of each other(seperate them).

I do have some sort of filter that I've already installed I'm pretty sure its the same thing.
What I'm wondering is why does my electronic steering affect the other peoples radios when there close to me. It's not just my radio picking up or getting this static from my machine, there does as well.
Do I have to put a filter in front of my electronic steering control. This is what's puzzling is why is it only the Honda's electronic steering that's affecting the other radios as well.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No,
I think your down the wrong rabbit hole trying to filter your EPS.
Your just broadcasting interference.
Verify the previously mentioned.
Where is your radio power source hooked up to? Grounds? Isolate both from other accessories..take the power lead off the battery to a fuse box. Same with your ground to the frame.

Last edited:
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
No,
I think your down the wrong rabbit hole trying to filter your EPS.
Your just broadcasting interference.
Verify the previously mentioned.
Where is your radio power source hooked up to? Grounds? Isolate both from other accessories..take the power lead off the battery to a fuse box. Same with your ground to the frame.
I'll check things out better tommoro. Right now I'm getting power from a relay connected to my key switch so as soon as switch is off so is radio. Feeding into the isolator then longer wires to the radio. So I'll try what your suggesting Feed from battery then run wire's up to the radio and put the isolator closer to the radio and see if it makes a difference.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Well did some changes to wiring etc; plus moved isolator closer to the radio and no changes . It's got to be something with the electronic steering.
I have my radio off and park 10 feet from my buddies machine and his radio acts up the moment I turn my steering wheel ,of course my machine is running. So this sort of confirms that it's something to do with the electronic steering on the Honda thats affecting the radios .
Guess I'll just have to deal with how it works untill someone comes up with a fix. Thanks for the info and advice .

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well did some changes to wiring etc; plus moved isolator closer to the radio and no changes . It's got to be something with the electronic steering.
I have my radio off and park 10 feet from my buddies machine and his radio acts up the moment I turn my steering wheel ,of course my machine is running. So this sort of confirms that it's something to do with the electronic steering on the Honda thats affecting the radios .
Guess I'll just have to deal with how it works untill someone comes up with a fix. Thanks for the info and advice .
Did you run the power and ground directly from the radio to the Battery? that would be my first change to test out.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Did you run the power and ground directly from the radio to the Battery? that would be my first change to test out.
Do this for both the radio and the main power (and the ground) of athe power steering.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Used a totally seperate battery & no difference .

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Do this for both the radio and the main power (and the ground) of athe power steering.
I'll have to dig into it when I have a bit more time. It's weird that my machine affects the other radios even when Mine is shut off. I'll have to see if I can isolate the grd on the steering. thanks for the extra tips.

Reactions: WagginTail
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Old Navy ET1 (electronics technician) here. I know stuff, but don't know it all.

The fact that the other guys hear the noise means it's coming from your machine, duh. It has absolutely nothing to do with your radio installation. Rather it's probably broad band noise coming from your EPS unit or the wiring to or from the EPS. Note that any arcing will generate broad band noise - - in fact, the first radio transmitter used an arc and that was discernable all the way across the Atlantic ocean!

There's a rule in electronic troubleshooting: Check the easy stuff first, not necessarily the most likely stuff, if that's harder to do. So, with that in mind, check to make sure all the plug-in connectors to the EPS are secure and solid - any minor arcing is a broadband radio transmitter!

Next, get yourself some Ferrite filters, the kind that clamp over the wire. Install those on the wiring harness as close to the EPS as possible. If you have a handheld CB radio, or another radio handy, you can see if the ferrite helps suppress the interference. If it does, that confirms the EPS is the source and that the RFI is coming from and out of the unit on the wiring and radiating from that wiring like an antenna. That would indicate the problem is within the EPS itself.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!